VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening, gang. A bit of background first...
Putzing with the GTI and cleaning up under the hood, I decided that cleaning up the front of the block would be quite an improvement.
I've already been running without the crank vent hose (using a cobbled PCV to the intake tube instead), so I'm planning on removing the plastic breather box and blocking off the openings.
To really get rid of the clutter, there are two ground wires bolted to the front of the block at about a 10 o'clock position from the knock sensor. One is brown with a green stripe, the other brown with a white stripe.
I don't see why they can't be disposed of if they're redundant, or at least moved if they're not.
The only brown/green ground wire reference I can find in the Bentley is one of the coolant temp sensor grounds, but it lists it as being grounded through the harness, not the block.
The brown/white seems to come out of nowhere in the schematic, branch off from a brown/red ground, and is actually listed as a ground to the front of the block. Where the hell does it come from, and if it's also connected through a brown/red, what's the point?
Has anybody gotten rid of these during their own mods or transplants, or is just moving them the boring and safe route?

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Re: Ground wire identification assistance requested. (DonL)

Removing grounds makes me a bit nervous, especially with these German cars that already seem to have enough electrical gremlins floating around in healthy cars.
The grounds you're talking about are from the engine harness, not sure from what exactly though w/o the bentley in front of me.
You could mave them, I guess. But I wouldn't eliminate them all together if that's what you're asking.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

I'm prettu sure Mike is right regarding that they are grounds for the harness. Last year, I was having trouble with the Hall sensor. I decided to clean all my ground wires off, including those on the block. Beleive it or not a little bit of sandpaper really cleaned them up.

·
Registered
24,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Ground wire identification assistance requested. (Glenn J)

Yeah, I looked again this morning, and I'm just gonna move them somewhere out of the way.
It just seems like a silly-ass place to put a couple of piddly little wires out in the middle of nowhere like that. Gotta love that well-thought-out solid German engineering...

·
Registered
9,114 Posts

You could do the ground-wire "upgrade"/improvement DIY mod. Might warrant their removal, but I would still be a bit iffy on that..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts