VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been alot of discussion lately on the forums as to why Hyper Ground Wires or Hot Earth as the Japanese translation goes work. Let me say this there is no majic formula the wires merely optimize the way the factory designed the car to work. There are three main electrical circuits on a car that will affect how a car runs I will cover these in detail and hopefully this will explain why a car bennefits or loses from these wires. Yes I did say lose I had one car that lost 5 horse on the dyno this proves to me beyond a doubt of how effective these wires can be. Of course this promted me to investigate because that is my nature. The R & D I am presenting here was done by me so if you have different versions of it please feel free to contribute I am very open to new ideas but please base everything on fact not I have heard. Here is what ground wires do they provide a better path to the negative on the battery( I am not going to get into the dirrections electricty flows at this time because I feel it is a mute point to this discussion). What this does is optimize the electrical system in otherwords makes it more efficient.
- First system-\
Fuel Injectors- Your PCM commands the fuel injectors to be open a certain amount of time in milliseconds. Basically what happens is a ground is applied to one side of the injectors to open then is removed to close the injector and this stops the fuel flowing. I noticed when watching the injector pulsewidth with a Fluke98 that after the hypergrounds were installed the saturation line was lower and duration was shorter at the same rpm and the same load.
So why does the Hyper Grounds work on this system simple by closing the injectors faster it is simply running the injectors the way the factory wanted and in essence is leaning the engine out getting closer to the optimum air fuel ratio. Thus making more power. This helps out newer cars even more beause all newer cars are very much on the rich side of things. The other thing is we are at an altitude of over 2500 feet I realize the factories have altitude compensators on the engines but they never tuned them up here so at best it is a good guess.
System 2- Ignition Coils
---Ignition coils provide a spark by colapsing a magnetic field they do this by removing the ground. The Hypergrounds merely allow this to happen faster. Inolder cars where we had a points system there was a condesor to help remove the spike that comes from removing the ground in newer cars we do this with a transitor because it is faster the improved grounding merely allows this to happen milliseconds faster and has no residue of the voltage allowing for a higher voltage attained by the coil and therefore a hotter spark. This was also observed by watching the coil saturation and primary spark at the same time on a dual trace scope. This is what smooths out the transistions so many find when they install the Hypergrounds.
System 3 Timing
----Well this really doesn't need much explanation everything is just happening so much faster so does the timing. Now let me correct this one step here the Grounds do no not advance the timing but merely allow it to happen with more precission thus getting it closer to where the factory wanted it. On one car this made the differance of two degrees as measured with an optical sensor and a timing light logged also as you might have guessed it on a dual trace lab scope( one of my favorite tools). As you might have guessed increased timing also leads to a horsepower gain.

Cars that do not bennefit from this either already have a very good grounding system or the car is on the ragged edge from tuning already.
So in conclussion what the grounds do is get you closer to the optimum as the factory designed it. Now for the car that lost horsepower well that car was so finely tuned that the inproved grounding took it out of its optimum so I retuned it with the grounds picked up 1 extra horsepower over my previous tune but the best part was the smoothness of the acceleration you could literally hear the differance in the engine while it was on the dyno it also did the dyno test almost .3 seconds faster. So I hope that explains the mystery behind the Hyoer grounds not majic not snake oil just improved electonic cicuitry. If you like the grounds wait till you try the Hyper Voltage that thing is absolutely amazing most everyone that has tried it will not let me take it off their car and all it does is guarantee a constant voltage.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Re: Grounding kits explained (elchorizon)

Quote, originally posted by elchorizon »
What ground wire brand would you recommend for a 01 vr6 gti?
Thanks

JettaManDan has a good custom kit too

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Re: Grounding kits explained (alchu)

Good info. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

This is one hell of a run-on sentence..."Inolder cars where we had a points system there was a condesor to help remove the spike that comes from removing the ground in newer cars we do this with a transitor because it is faster the improved grounding merely allows this to happen milliseconds faster and has no residue of the voltage allowing for a higher voltage attained by the coil and therefore a hotter spark. "

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Grounding kits explained (Manu44)

Sorry about the run on sentence. I guess i didnt have punctuation in mind when i posted.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Re: Grounding kits explained (Oxide_Imports)

Very informative http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I have the grounding kit from http://www.4Grounding.com and it is very well done.

Modified by GLIguy at 6:13 AM 5-25-2004

·
Registered
908 Posts
Re: Grounding kits explained (mahmgb)

Quote, originally posted by mahmgb »

I got my kit from http://www.4grounding.com

I just made my own. Was dead simple and cheap too. I made a few for the 1.8t, 2.0, vr6.. all simple and dead easy. As I have said before if you can tie your own shoes then you can make this mod! OR Buy it from me..

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Can someone post pics of all the grounding points again? They used to be up in another post but the pics don't show. Anyone have them?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts