VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just came in from the garage... tryin to take off my pulleys so i can put my Neuspeeds on, with no luck.. i tried and tried and tried and couldnt loosen the bolt on the crankshaft pulley. anyone got any helpful advice?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Re: GRRRRRR!!! stupid crankshaft pulley! (ClaytonC01)

ive done this befor the crank bolt is torqued down to about 240 psi so your going to need to put the car in gear and the e-brake up and get a non racheting socket wrench kind of thing..... something long so you can get some leverage on and turn counter clockwise as hard as possible.....or you can try a impact gun that supports 240 psi but besure to torque the new pully's down properly otherwise you can have bad problems because if that loosens the keyway on the pully can shear off and score the crank or the vibration could be harsh on the main bearings so take my advise and do it properly because it will save you alot of money and be less of a headache

·
Registered
110 Posts
Re: GRRRRRR!!! stupid crankshaft pulley! (sbcAT631)

long breaker bar and hit the starter
. i put mine on a lift threw it in 4th gear and tugged down with a SUPER long bar took it off real quick, otherwise it's a BYYYYYOOOTCH.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Re: GRRRRRR!!! stupid crankshaft pulley! (ISoneVR6enough)

Apply some WD-40, or other loosening product, give a few hours to penetrate, apply some more and let it rest. You can get a big wrench to counter hold the pulley or buy tool 3273. The bolt is tightened to 120 ft lbs.
Use a breaker bar and a good socket and your done. Once you counterhold the pulley, then it will come out easily.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Re: GRRRRRR!!! stupid crankshaft pulley! (German VR6)

Honestly, it's not worth it. Your gonna go through all that trouble to get a tiny bit of horsepower that will probably never make a difference in any situation. I also bought a pulley and tried to install it.
Here's what i did:
1) HUGE impact gun with HUGE compressor at a truck shop
2) Breaker bar with the starter trick
3) Bought a torch and heated it up THREE times!
4) Tried the breaker bar trick again
5) Sold that damn pulley.
After doing all of that it didn't even budge. While searching and going through hell in trying to find out how to remove that damn bolt, I came upon a scientific write up explaining exactly what that pulley would do.....absolutely nothing worth the trouble I was going through. You might wanna search for that write up....it was written by Marty http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,023 Posts

one of these should get it off

it's a 1 inch with 1450lb-ft..only needs 10CFM to run.

·
Registered
27,736 Posts
a jamaican guy in the bronx got mine off, lol. For some reason, the only difference I noticed was in steering effort....

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Re: (vdubjb)

So the starter idea is to wedge the breaker bar against something and start the engine in gear to loosen it????

Can somebody clarify?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

your best bet is on a lift with a breaker bar plus cheater, in gear someone standing on the brakes (pulling the ebrake is gonna do nothing for the front wheels).
honestly no gains worth the hassle for a home job. HTH

1 - 9 of 9 Posts