VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an old Grundig car radio. Grundig GCM 8200. It has a red and an orange wire in the back other than the speaker wires. Where is the ground. Do I ground it to the actual deck?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone!
One more question, in this grundig GCM 8200, the Negative is the black wire that is grounded in the device itself and the Positive is to join the red and orange wires ????

·
Registered
21,491 Posts
The red and orange wires could be Battery Live and switched similar to the "Standard" that is in place now.
Or looking at the rear of one on ebay:
The sticker on the orange is for the power antenna.

If yours is similar to this then the the red/black on the right is your ground and power source. Orange is to power the antenna motor, so no you wouldn't tie the red/orange together. The rear mounting stud could also be used as a ground source.

Old timey days some manufacturers used the antenna wire as the ground path as well. A quick way is to use a DVOM and measure resistance from the Case to the Black wire. The orange as well should be a possible short or 0 Ohms to the red wire when the Radio dial switch is on.

VW did some of the older Cabriolets as well as beetles to have the radio's power on a Battery live, (unswitched) so that you could listen to the Radio when the car wasn't running. I got stranded once waiting for some one at the airport as I left the Radio on in my Cabby with the volume turned down, and didn't realize it till later... Which is why I changed it over to a switched source. Radio off when the key is out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts