VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve always wanted a GruppeM intake for my cars but never really got around to it because there were always less expensive alternatives. All of my friends have them on their Porsches and Ferrari’s etc. I didn’t realize they were made to order. I waited 12 weeks and finally received it. I must say this is a beautiful piece of art. I had the mk1 carbonio intake on my B5 A4 and loved it.

The carbon fiber is a nice weave and the quality of the clearcoat is perfect.

It has a velocity stack made of aluminum which we all know is the preferred design for intake systems.

all of the enclosed hardware is well packed and it uses a genuine K&N filter they had specifically designed for their kits. It also has the filter oil.

This small filter is for the secondary air pump which I don’t have.

Unfortunately I am not able to dyno the car before and after but the design has a better air funneling design than my carbon fiber moddshack tuning intake.

It comes with a foam tape for the filter element to secure tightly. It already has a rubber tape on one side from the factory. You just have to apply the other side yourself. This helps keep it an air tight fit.

This is where the edge of the carbon fiber meets onto.

The k&n filter has a smooth big nipple for airflow.

its a very tight fit and since I have the Badger5 full 3” silicone turbo inlet hose it sits higher. You can see it hits the battery cage. They include a foam tape for this so it doesn’t vibrate and eventually scratch the CF gel coat.

I’m sure if you have a stock inlet hose or samco it will fit perfectly. I couldn’t use the brackets because of this.

It has a rubber trim that pushes tightly to the inside of the engine bay. This was something added after their Mk1 version.

definitely a huge difference in sound from the moddshack intake. You can hear the air being sucked in a lot louder. I can hear that the air in the charge pipe has a higher pitch as well unless that’s the intake too. Can’t tell much of a difference on the butt dyno. It feels faster but that just could be psychological with the louder sounds. It seems to pick up faster but honestly again without a before and after dyno I can’t be sure. I’m definitely very happy with it. It’s difficult to hear the air but you can hear it. This intake system is a beautiful sculpture. On their website they say “All GruppeM products are handcrafted to order by experienced Artisans to ensure the highest quality.”

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the first aftermarket intake I've seen that looks like actual thought went into it.
yes they are pretty pricey up to $3,000 for some exotic cars and even just a BMW one is about 2k. Definitely really good quality. I’m happy with it. It was $650~ I got it on a special spring sale from Auto Talent in California. Usually they run about $800.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey man. I was looking to order a badger 5 3" TIP, but they're out of stock on the all silicone version. Which version did you use and what fitment issues have you ran into?

I'd imagine by now you have some time on that TIP, are there any spots that have worn by rubbing/chafing?

What's the deal with that BOV are you tuned for VTA? It sounds way different. I'm also looking for a better recirc valve than the 008 piston version I had. I'm not a fan of having to lubricate that piston so often.

That intake is a work of art. I'm not surprised this is the first time i've seen it. People constantly say cold air intakes are a waste on turbo vehicles, but I wonder what the truth is.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I purchased mine on eBay from a uk seller. This one is the V2. The V1 has the aluminum flange, this one had to be cut about 1.5” on the intake side.

it definitely rubs on the power steering lines but it holds up fine because it is such a dense thick silicone. It hasn’t rubbed through any layers. I also have new engine and trans mounts/dog bone so doesn’t move as much.

I had a turboXS Bov on my B5 A4 apr stage 3+ and never ran into any issues. I have a forge motorsports DV with the relocation kit and I swapped it out for a HKS SSQV no CEL not running too lean or too rich. No issues with the BOV.

gruppeM has been in the game for a long time. It was more popular and more people had it back in 2001-2006. This was when carbonio was a small company and hadn’t partnered with APR. Eventually other tuners released less expensive intake systems and GruppeM went to exotic and very high end European cars. It always had a decent market with Japanese manufacturers. I assume the HP increase is significant over open engine intakes just because of the design pulling in air directly from the factory intake ducting. The carbon fiber enclosure helps reduce temperatures, I’m not sure how much but it’s gotta be better than an open engine intake directly sucking in that engine heat. Obviously a hood scoop would be ideal but I wanted to keep the factory hood. The track cars always have issues overheating in the mk1 because of the tight engine bay.

·
Registered
361 Posts
been looking for pricing, so far $7xx at Vivid racing, TOO much + the Gruppe site dont show american $$$ + of course shipping!! no hurry + still lookin + any links appreciated!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah I've only come across the same thing. I have the 42draftdesgns intake right now. It's nice but it doesn't really isolate itself from the engine bay heat like the GruppeM seems to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts