VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1067 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some notes from the people I have been emailing with. Please feel free to add. Email the mfg's as well, if we do not reach out there will never be spring sets offered.

This goes for both the TSI and TDI GSW.

Neuspeed - I checked with them to see if the MK7 Golf springs are a direct match. They did say there could be an issue with the GSW being just a touch heavier and creating some reverse rake. They mentioned having a "taller" rear spring they could add to a kit??? Neuspeed claims a 1.6" drop, which seems aggressive, but the GSW is so high it might be just right...

VW Racingline - Again, VWR is also hesitant to green light the Golf springs as a direct fitment. The suspension components are identical and the springs will fit. But the GSW is roughly 100lbs heavier in the rear - we could see that reverse rake. VWR shows 1.0 to 1.2 drop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ok so I've been doing the research as well. I will be installing VWR springs as soon as my TDI comes in. I realize that the rear may sag. This was the case for the JSW wth golf springs. If it does I'm planning on putting airlift or firestone helper airbags on the rear to help level and take the load when I have a lot of weight in the rear. These helpers fit inside the springs and are manually filled to whatever pressure or "help" you need.

This would be a temporary solution until we get some coil overs offered.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spoke with H&R late in the week. They have a GSW project car on their web site. It has a coil over setup on it. In my conversation with them, nothing is currently on offer for the US GSW. They did say parts in the pipeline but no ETA.

Euro version with Euro parts on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chaos,

I am assuming for both. However, past sales have shown that 80% of JSW sales were TDI. VW assumes that will continue. Aftermarket parts manufacturers assume that will be the case.

If GSW specific rear springs are made I think they will be for the TDI first.

What I am considering to avoid all the wait/weight and confusion - is just get a MK7 Golf TDI coil over set. You can just dial in the correct height and make the car level. Maybe it sags a little under huge load. But I never load up the car - surfboards and bikes will not make a difference.

We shall see.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Chaosweaver, did you ever install the regular golf TDI VWR springs? The rear on the wagen sits so high I'm not sure you'll actually get reverse rake, it might actually look perfect.

I'm dying to see an MK7 US TDI GSW with either H&R springs or VWR springs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Chaosweaver, did you ever install the regular golf TDI VWR springs? The rear on the wagen sits so high I'm not sure you'll actually get reverse rake, it might actually look perfect.

No I have not. My understanding is that ST is very close with their coilovers. I'm holding out for coils as I'm a little wary of the ride quality with springs only.

On a somewhat related note... Look! http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...Golf+Sportwagen&autoYear=2015&autoModClar=TDI

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't understand why they're concerned about 100 lbs. It's like having a teenager in the back seat. Are these springs not designed to carry passengers?
1.8T

In another thread it was stated that the GVW is based off the "base" model car. Which for the GSW is of course the S.

I ordered an SEL, pano sunroof is good for another 20lbs - eff, maybe more. All the other electronic bs could be another 10 or 15.

My car is due in July. Given the choice I would rather do a "GSW specific" spring.

·
Registered
697 Posts
1.8T

In another thread it was stated that the GVW is based off the "base" model car. Which for the GSW is of course the S.

I ordered an SEL, pano sunroof is good for another 20lbs - eff, maybe more. All the other electronic bs could be another 10 or 15.

My car is due in July. Given the choice I would rather do a "GSW specific" spring.
I agree, I would rather them be made specifically for the car as we'll also be getting the SEL with all the options, but I just can't imagine a couple of hundred pounds making them "hesitant" about their use. What about an SEL Golf with 4 passengers and luggage? Is that not recommended with their springs? Really it's the same car minus 12 inches.

off topic, did you place an order for your GSW and is it going to be a 2016?

I'm ordering a GTI Autobahn PP as soon as the 2016's are available to order. We probably won't pick up my wife's GSW until the end of the year so I'd hope there will be GSW specific springs out by then.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree, I would rather them be made specifically for the car as we'll also be getting the SEL with all the options, but I just can't imagine a couple of hundred pounds making them "hesitant" about their use. What about an SEL Golf with 4 passengers and luggage? Is that not recommended with their springs? Really it's the same car minus 12 inches.

off topic, did you place an order for your GSW and is it going to be a 2016?

I'm ordering a GTI Autobahn PP as soon as the 2016's are available to order. We probably won't pick up my wife's GSW until the end of the year so I'd hope there will be GSW specific springs out by then.
Indeed it is same car with 12 inches. Add 120lbs+ then the two people and way way to much luggage. Figure the spring manufacturers are risk averse. They could say - use the Golf spring set. That being said, the fronts will be the same. A little tweak to the rears and it should be good.

Ordered my wagon the first of March. As to whether it will be a 2016? Great question. Technically, the VAG models move to the next year at the 6th month mark. The wagon is due July 15. Stands to reason it should be a 16, if it will have the updated infotainment? I can't believe I would be that lucky.

With H&R springs already avail. The others should be fairly soon to follow. At least Eibach, VWR, and Neuspeed.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Indeed it is same car with 12 inches. Add 120lbs+ then the two people and way way to much luggage. Figure the spring manufacturers are risk averse. They could say - use the Golf spring set. That being said, the fronts will be the same. A little tweak to the rears and it should be good.

Ordered my wagon the first of March. As to whether it will be a 2016? Great question. Technically, the VAG models move to the next year at the 6th month mark. The wagon is due July 15. Stands to reason it should be a 16, if it will have the updated infotainment? I can't believe I would be that lucky.

With H&R springs already avail. The others should be fairly soon to follow. At least Eibach, VWR, and Neuspeed.

Yeah, I'm sure it's just the manufacturers in CYA mode more than anything else.

hmm, you're right on the line for '15/'16. It will be interesting to see what arrives. Hopefully the '16 with MIB II.

·
Registered
26 Posts

I spoke with Tire Rack last week and they said it would take a while to ship the springs as they aren't actually in stock yet. If I ordered some I would have to wait for them to be imported and then shipped from TR at which point my card would be charged. I was told this would probably take at least 3-4 weeks and they wouldn't be leaving the TR warehouse any earlier than July 1st.

I ordered the spring kit over the weekend and will post measurements and pics mid July after I install them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I spoke with Tire Rack last week and they said it would take a while to ship the springs as they aren't actually in stock yet. If I ordered some I would have to wait for them to be imported and then shipped from TR at which point my card would be charged. I was told this would probably take at least 3-4 weeks and they wouldn't be leaving the TR warehouse any earlier than July 1st.

I ordered the spring kit over the weekend and will post measurements and pics mid July after I install them.
Thanks for taking the plunge. Looking forward to your pics!

·
Registered
752 Posts
GTD,

Did you ever get any further info from VWR. I never got a response from them on the springs for the wagens. Is there somewhere I can get technical data on the springs in the wagen from the factory?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

xtsalled,

Keep us posted. I am very interested in how the GSW will sit on the H&R springs. I've had good success with H&R on one of my Audi's in the past.

I am sure I speak for others when I say we are anxiously awaiting your test results.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GTD,

Did you ever get any further info from VWR. I never got a response from them on the springs for the wagens. Is there somewhere I can get technical data on the springs in the wagen from the factory?

Thanks for your help
Geist,

I have not heard back. But I have not reached out recently either. Life has intervened!

Will check in with them early in the coming week.

1 - 20 of 1067 Posts