2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to run the following:
2.5" Turboback exhaust
Kinetics High Flow Turbo Manifold
440cc injectors
4 bar FPR
GT2X eliminator
I'm shooting for 250whp/250wtrq on 91 octane. My concern is software. I'm looking at running the APR K04 software. It's been suggested I run an electronic boost controller with this set up to keep the boost request I'm looking for at the higher rpm as the K04 software will taper up top. However I've also heard of problems running an EBC in higher gears with boost request.
Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Re: GT2X Software Concern (NS01GTI)

If you clamp your MAP sensor at say, 11psi or so, you'll be able to hold all the boost up top that you want. Partial throttle is then unaffected as if you're only requesting 8psi the ecu will read 8psi and give you waht is requested. You can clamp at either 17 or 11psi with either a 4.1 or a 4.3v 1w zener diode respectively to acheive those values. Try the 4.1v and if you still hit limp mode (since I'm not sure what the APR K04 software requests up top, if its over 17 or not) then put in the 4.3v since i KNOW it will request more than 11psi up top.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: GT2X Software Concern (WhiteG60)

Quote, originally posted by WhiteG60 »
If you clamp your MAP sensor at say, 11psi or so, you'll be able to hold all the boost up top that you want. Partial throttle is then unaffected as if you're only requesting 8psi the ecu will read 8psi and give you waht is requested. You can clamp at either 17 or 11psi with either a 4.1 or a 4.3v 1w zener diode respectively to acheive those values. Try the 4.1v and if you still hit limp mode (since I'm not sure what the APR K04 software requests up top, if its over 17 or not) then put in the 4.3v since i KNOW it will request more than 11psi up top.

Will I have any fueling issues with this? I've certainly heard of the diode mod, but never had to do it in the past. Are you suggesting I do this rather then get an EBC? I also thought of running an MBC but I don't like the On/Off feeling of them and want to keep some nice driveability in the car.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts

Quote, originally posted by NS01GTI »

Will I have any fueling issues with this? I've certainly heard of the diode mod, but never had to do it in the past. Are you suggesting I do this rather then get an EBC? I also thought of running an MBC but I don't like the On/Off feeling of them and want to keep some nice driveability in the car.

No no, i'm suggesting you do it WITH an ebc. All this does is keep the ECU from seeing more than 17psi. How you control boost is up to you. People do a diode/MBC because its a $50 mod. If they did a diode and EBC on a K03 it would be a $300-350 mod at which point they might as well just get the chip that does it. IF you're running 440's you're gonna be WAY over fueling for 250whp, so i wouldn't worry about that at all.
As a matter of fact, 440s @ 4bar is ridiculous for that turbo. Run some 380's @ 3bar and a VR6 MAF housing on that K04 software and you should be golden.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: GT2X Software Concern (WhiteG60)

Quote, originally posted by WhiteG60 »

No no, i'm suggesting you do it WITH an ebc. All this does is keep the ECU from seeing more than 17psi. How you control boost is up to you. People do a diode/MBC because its a $50 mod. If they did a diode and EBC on a K03 it would be a $300-350 mod at which point they might as well just get the chip that does it. IF you're running 440's you're gonna be WAY over fueling for 250whp, so i wouldn't worry about that at all.
As a matter of fact, 440s @ 4bar is ridiculous for that turbo. Run some 380's @ 3bar and a VR6 MAF housing on that K04 software and you should be golden.

Do you agree that an EBC with the diode would be smoother as far as boost delivery then the diode with an MBC?
I'm going to be running on 91 octane up here... And the APR K04 program calls for 4 bar. Do you still think that 440cc injectors are too much?
The reason I say 250whp, is cause I figure that's what I can safely, and reliability get out of the GT2X. I'd like to think 260hwp is plausible, but I don't want to push my luck.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts

Quote, originally posted by NS01GTI »

Do you agree that an EBC with the diode would be smoother as far as boost delivery then the diode with an MBC?
I'm going to be running on 91 octane up here... And the APR K04 program calls for 4 bar. Do you still think that 440cc injectors are too much?
The reason I say 250whp, is cause I figure that's what I can safely, and reliability get out of the GT2X. I'd like to think 260hwp is plausible, but I don't want to push my luck.

EBC is WORLDS better at smooth delivery and partial throttle boost over an MBC. The K04 software calls for a 4bar on 317cc stock injetors, which means they flow about 375cc since the stock injectors are 317 @ 3bar. 440cc injectors @ 4bar is a little over 500cc i believe but don't quote me. 380's @ 3bar, VR maf housing. I stand by that though you may have to vtune it a littl ebit to get it 100% perfect.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Re: (davidraeside)

I have a friend running the GT2x on GIAC K04-PC16 software on his AEB 98 A4 Quattro with OEM TT225 injectors. We run 20psi on it, and the car is quick. I ran a 13.31 in it at Spring Show N Go with a 1.81 60', he's a much much less experience drag driver than me and he's managed a 13.67 out of it. I've only ever made 1 pass in any awd car, and it was that run there so i definitely think with another 10th or so out of the 60 it would run a 13.0/12.9 and I must say the car runs flawlessly. I would think the GIAC E05 file on a AWW or AWP motor would run very very similarly to that.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (WhiteG60)

Ok, so if the 440cc injectors are overkill, but the APR K04 software calls for 4 bar (which I've already purchased the 4 bar FPR), then can I get away with running on the stock injectors? Will I absolutely need the VR maf to run this set up? What would the advantages of running 4 bar on VR maf with stock injectors vs. 4 bar on 380cc injectors and stock maf?
Also, which EBC do you recommend? I've heard the Greddy profec are good, but some guys were having issues with them getting full boost in high gears.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Re: (NS01GTI)

i talked to the atp guys alot. This is a bolt on kit and will work on the modifications you all ready have. The main thing is that with your existing mods the turbo should give more power because of just the way the turbo is designed. No need to purchase other things right now. Buy the turbo install it and it will work great, but to optimize the turbo buy the kit ATP sells. For the injector 440 seem big. I will be running smaller ones.
I will call ATP about this and will comment on what they tell me

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (water&air)

Ok... so definitely ditching the 440cc injectors so that I can run the 4 bar with the APR K04 software - as it calls for. Should I stick with the stock injectors, or go with 380cc injectors on 4 bar?
The main reason I was looking at running an EBC is because I believe even with the bigger turbo, which is obviously capable of higher boost at higher rpms, the K04 software will want to taper pretty hard above 5K. I was thinking of using Vtune to increase the boost for simplicity sakes, but at the end of the day I still think the programming design will reduce the boost too much up top to make it's max power. Agreed?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.