VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this archived thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2666132 but I have a question specific to my situation regarding my AC that hopefully someone can explain since the dealer can't seem to.
So here is my situation: I have an 07 GTI with 5600 miles. At around 4000 miles, I noticed that the AC would blow warm air intermittently. I thought it was my imagination cause I would turn it off then back on and it came back to normal--so I thought nothing of it. Fast forward to about a week ago, I was at a stop light, I turn the AC on and as soon as I did, the light turned green--so I clutch/gas combo to get moving like I normally do but this time it was occumpanied by a quick metal sounding grind/clunk and a disruption on the air flow. It happened so fast and everything went back to normal that I thought nothing of it. So over the weekend, I turned the ac on and nothing but hot air. Ten minutes later I hear a sound that can be described as spinning a CD flat on a glass table (screechy, plasticy type noise
).
Anyways I took the car in Tuesday and today is Friday and ofcourse I still dont have my car back, otherwise I wouldnt be bitching to you guys
. So I asked to speak to the mechanic today but was told that he was too busy and I had to settle with the service writer and this is what she said. The AC hose was bent and was causing the serpentine belt to rub against it. So they've ordered, a new ac hose/line, and a bunch of O rings (one of which did not fit--and would not line up--and they have to order a new one).
So my question is to you guys (The single question that neither the service writer or any of the technicians could answer...) What would cause an ac line to bend all on its own? (I thought those damn things were rubber but then again, I've never worked on a car so I wouldnt know). I took it in for the 5k oil change but other than that, I or anyone else have not done anything to it. It is bone stock.
Here is an observations/idea that may or may not help. In some normal driving conditions and mostly in spirited drives, If i dont hold the clutch a split second longer (just right) when shifting from first to second, I get a "wobble" and a "clunk" as I'm easing out of the clutch. So I'm thinking, that the wobble is the excessive amount of transmission/engine slop that may have wobbled enough to bend that hose?
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (_leo_)

I don't know about you but I can't count how many post I've come upon that pertain to problems that I've found extremely useful when dealing with my own GTI. Take for example the infamous "shipping spring spacers" that are left on the car. Hell I drove mine for about a thousand miles not knowing that I still had mine on until a found a post of someone bitching about. To name a few more, the countless rattles: fuel line, center diffuser, door side, over head sunroof console rattles or what about the failures on the dv or pcv...I hope by now you get the point. Without this forum and without people like myself that complain about the issues of my relatively brand new car, I'd be even more clueless and in the dark about these known issues. The whole point of this post was to reach out to someone more mechanically inclined to perhaps explain why a damn ac line would bend enough to eat through the serpentine belt and also to point out that this problem isnt exactly uncommon as you can see by my link to that other thread. But just to some up, yeah I know I'll get my car fixed and I'll continue to have fun with it but it would be nice to know why it happened not only for my information but for the thousands of people who drive the same car. Its the main reason for this whole forum--be it a problem or not--it's what its for--to share thoughts. Thanks for your reply even if it was useless.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Re: GTI AC failure (Mataleao)

Seems like there have been way to many GTI/GLI owners with A/C problems. I've been kinda afraid to even turn mine on...
Best of luck to you man I hope this is something you'll only have to deal with once.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: GTI AC failure (purple_haze)

I wouldn't be afraid to use that AC. We all bought brand new cars and there should be no good reason not to use it. Take it this way--its better to use it now while you are under warranty and have it fail while it is. I can't even start to begin to stomach the cost of repair like this without a warranty. Just read this post by Bruco in the thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...age=4
"I am about to pick up repair no 3, with everything replaced forward of the F.W., like yours. One of keys is the copmp[ressor replacement. I visited a dealership today wher the srervice mngr was unaware of chronic AC compressors failures but the parts guy showe me 6 failures th is year, all replaced with Zexos which is the problem vendor that VW is supposed to replace them with Sanden, which is what they put on my car. Ask them if they have received instructions or a bulletin to use Sanden adn make sure that is what you have in your latest rendition of a GTI".
Chances are we all have that Zexos compressor that is being phazed out and replaced with the Sanden compressor. Assuming that the above statement is correct--then we will all have failed compressors sooner that we might anticipate. With that said, my AC issue was not with the compressor but with the ac line that was bent into the serpentine belt. How you ask? no idea and thats what I'm trying to get to.
At this point, I'm not really feeling to confident with the service techs. They promised me that it would be done Friday (I highly doubted it when they told me that it would be) but somehow now its not done because an O ring doesnt fit quite right and they have to order a new one (surprise, surprise). Sounds to me like they're just trying to buy more time--and if it really is just an O ring--then ok--i'm cool with that..and even if they don't know and they need more time--i'm cool with that too--but I wish they were less shady about it. They still can't explain why the damn line was bent to begin with

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm also someone who has posted on my AC problems. Basically back in October I had no cold air.
The dealer thought it was the compressor and replaced it. A few weeks later I had the same problem. Once again they thought it was the compressor but I was beginning to have my doubts. They replaced it again. Once again it worked for a few weeks. When I brought it back some new person heard my story and determined that when it first died something was still circulating in the system that was causing the
problems. This guy ordered a whole new AC system including lines, etc. So far it seems fine and I'm glad it's under warranty, but I think someone should have figured it out the first time.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (ronin1)

So if I count that right,thats 4 attempted repairs on the same part. According to this article from: http://www.carlemon.com/lemons.html

All States/Lemon Law Coverage
= Consumers everywhere are protected by the Federal Lemon Law which applies to all consumer products, including automoblile, trucks, motorcycles, RVs, boats, and all other ordinary consumer products including computers and household appliances.
Repair Interval and Coverage Period
= 3 to 4 repairs for the same problem, or 6 to 8 repairs to the entire product during the warranty period.
And since you and I are from VA,
Lemon Law Coverage = Passenger vehicles, pickup trucks, vans and motor home chassis used primarily for personal, family, or household purposes.
Repair Interval and Coverage Period = 3 repair attempts or 30 calendar days out of service. 1 repair attempt for a serious safety defect.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Re: (Mataleao)

Quote, originally posted by Mataleao »
So if I count that right,thats 4 attempted repairs on the same part. According to this article from: http://www.carlemon.com/lemons.html

All States/Lemon Law Coverage
= Consumers everywhere are protected by the Federal Lemon Law which applies to all consumer products, including automoblile, trucks, motorcycles, RVs, boats, and all other ordinary consumer products including computers and household appliances.
Repair Interval and Coverage Period
= 3 to 4 repairs for the same problem, or 6 to 8 repairs to the entire product during the warranty period.
And since you and I are from VA,
Lemon Law Coverage = Passenger vehicles, pickup trucks, vans and motor home chassis used primarily for personal, family, or household purposes.
Repair Interval and Coverage Period = 3 repair attempts or 30 calendar days out of service. 1 repair attempt for a serious safety defect.

VWoA just took back my 2006 GTI (on it's 4th compressor) and got me into a 2007. As soon as I mentioned Lemon Law they were all over it! Florida has very strong Lemon Laws from what I hear.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Re: (Mataleao)

Believe me, I already had looked into the lemon laws in Virginia. Basically,I've heard that VW had a problem from some supplier and supposedly that's been changed, but who knows. My whole thing was I could see me maybe having one bad compressor, but then two more!! I think in my case there was a problem with the first one, but I think the other ones were fine, but they had ONLY replaced the compressor when they needed to replace some other parts. From March-October '06 it was fine, but then it would only work for a few weeks after each repair. I think the last tech finally took ownership of the problem and he decided to replace it all. It's worked fine for a month but if it happens again I'd have to go for the lemon law. The problem is I am coming up on the eighteen month time frame in a few months. I'd rather keep my '06 because I have the "deletes" such as the headlight washers, the black radio buttons and the better 17" wheels. The only thing I like now is the lowered ride height on the new ones although I'm not sure thats even out yet.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Quote, originally posted by ronin1 »
Believe me, I already had looked into the lemon laws in Virginia. Basically,I've heard that VW had a problem from some supplier and supposedly that's been changed, but who knows. My whole thing was I could see me maybe having one bad compressor, but then two more!! I think in my case there was a problem with the first one, but I think the other ones were fine, but they had ONLY replaced the compressor when they needed to replace some other parts. From March-October '06 it was fine, but then it would only work for a few weeks after each repair. I think the last tech finally took ownership of the problem and he decided to replace it all. It's worked fine for a month but if it happens again I'd have to go for the lemon law. The problem is I am coming up on the eighteen month time frame in a few months. I'd rather keep my '06 because I have the "deletes" such as the headlight washers, the black radio buttons and the better 17" wheels. The only thing I like now is the lowered ride height on the new ones although I'm not sure thats even out yet.

I got luck with the '07 they got me into. It was a early '07 so it still has the headlight washers but also has the iPod adapter and the silver buttons.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Re: (scubavw)

That's good that you were stiil able to get the '06 features with some of the new ones. Your AC story sounds eerily similar to mine. When you when in the first time, what was wrong? Was it just blowing warm air? And what did they replace? Also, how did you finally get VWoA to replace it? Did you first try to get the dealer to do it?

·
Registered
98 Posts

Quote, originally posted by ronin1 »
That's good that you were stiil able to get the '06 features with some of the new ones. Your AC story sounds eerily similar to mine. When you when in the first time, what was wrong? Was it just blowing warm air? And what did they replace? Also, how did you finally get VWoA to replace it? Did you first try to get the dealer to do it?

All three times it simply stopped blowing cold air....and all three times the compressor had to be replaced.
I spoke to the customer service person at my dealership and ask them to setup an appointment with the main VW rep for the area. Once I explained to the rep that I was ready to file the Lemon Law...and that I was a loyal customer (6 VWs)...that they should really work with on this. And they did!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Re: (scubavw)

Well in this state I think I have three or four problems within eighteen months, which is coming up for me in September. When I started having the problem in Oct/Nov I was surprised that the tech at the dealer was admitting to it also being a safety issue since in the winter that's also what defrosts the window. It's interesting because I was recently reading Motor Trend or R & T and one of their long term tests was with an Audi A3 2.0T.
They loved the car but guess what? The AC failed! They mentioned that they were told it was a supplier problem that was not being used anymore.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.