VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Recently acquired a 1984 GTI. pretty decent shape, no rust at all. Had it a few days and was diagnosing an issue with no parking lights. Turned out to be a blown fuse and then also an issue of the wires being switched causing one of the tail light turn signlas to stay on. Resolved all of that but in the middle of troubleshooting this the car lost all power. Lights on dash dont come on when you key on for bulb check, no headlights, turn signals, parking lights, horn. Really the only thing still working is the dome light and the emergency flasher works. checked my grounds and nothing was lose i n the engine bay. Even added another ground from the battery to a bolt on the starter. Not sure what else it could be. Is it possible its a relay?

Forgot what its like to own a 35+ year old car. Fun times.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Looks nice.... I’m guessing repainted? How’s the interior? What’s happening at the rear apron?

I’d start with, replacing the ignition switch. The dome light and hazards don’t run through it.

-Todd

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep was repainted. Not the best job but I'm just happy there is no rust.

So the ignition switch could cause my to lose all power? Like even the headlights won't work which I would think don't rely on the ignition switch since you can turn them on without the key.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
The headlights should not turn on without the key in the “run” position.

Yes, to the fusible links at the battery. Two for no ac and 3 for ac cars. Quick test would be to probe fuses for power. At a minimum, there are two 30 feeds to the panel.

The fact that dome works makes me think ignition switch. I rarely see the links go bad, but switches are definitely more common.

-Todd

·
Registered
403 Posts
I shouldn't even get involved with this conversation - I loathe/stink at electrical stuff.......

One thing I do remember from back in the day is that the antenna mount allowed water to enter. It would run down the cable, and that that cable sat right on top of the fuse box. Over time this would cause all sorts of gremlins. May want to pull the fuse box down and just take a look.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
And pull down the antenna cable so the water runs down the cable and on the ground vs running into the cab.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I pulled the fuse box down and didn't see any rust or signs of water getting in there. Moving the fuse box made it come back to life. Could it just be a ground on the fuse box? if it were the ignition switch i would think i could jiggle it and notice it being intermittent but that doesn't seem to happen.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I would check all of your connections from the main feed all the way to all of the grounds - and everything in between.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
If the wiring to the car is original, the main 30 feeds tend to build resistance and melt the green and blue 10 pin connectors.

Definitely check/upgrade your grounds.

-Todd

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts