VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just picked up a 2011 GTI, and I got the OEM roof rack. The little pins that go into the front door have a rubberized coating, and this quickly stripped off, and the metal pins chipped the paint in the door jams, exposing the metal.

This is only inside the pin hole, but I was wondering if I should be concerned? Should I use some kind of lubricant to protect the hole, or are my racks defective and should I return them? It looks like that rubberized coating wouldn't hold up (it stripped off on both sides), but I was wondering if anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
41,120 Posts
Mine did that too. Not worried about it.

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
Funny this came up, I was just asking Czech about the OEM rack this morning because I need a roof rack ASAP.

Any other issues I should know about? Are you guys happy with the OEM roof rack? Oh and does it interfere with the location of the sunroof? TIA.

·
Registered
41,120 Posts
Funny this came up, I was just asking Czech about the OEM rack this morning because I need a roof rack ASAP.

Any other issues I should know about? Are you guys happy with the OEM roof rack? Oh and does it interfere with the location of the sunroof? TIA.
No issues at all. The paint thing above isn't even an issue. I run my rack 24 hours a day....7 days a week...365 days a year. It's a permanent fixture on my car.

Signed,
Guy on bags with rack.

·
Registered
41,120 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Roof rack

The rack looks solid, went on pretty fast. I'm using it for surfboards, no complaints other than what I just mentioned regarding the pin socket.

I'll probably add a little white lithium grease to the socket just to prevent any corrosion.

·
Registered
41,120 Posts
The rack looks solid, went on pretty fast. I'm using it for surfboards, no complaints other than what I just mentioned regarding the pin socket.

I'll probably add a little white lithium grease to the socket just to prevent any corrosion.
it'll be fine. over a year now with mine and all is well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts