VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Premium Member
31,821 Posts
Re: GTI mkV vs. BMW 330i both 4dr. (ATL_Av8r)

one is going have a higher cost of ownership. and for once, it probably wont be the vw.

· Registered
5,605 Posts
Re: GTI mkV vs. BMW 330i both 4dr. (spoonie)

Quote, originally posted by spoonie »
one is going have a higher cost of ownership. and for once, it probably wont be the vw.

The VW is probably more fun to rip around town in too.
Then again, from a big picture perspective, I think the 330i would be the appealing of the two. The 6-cylinder BMWs are best of the bunch

· Registered
13,277 Posts
Re: GTI mkV vs. BMW 330i both 4dr. (ATL_Av8r)

Quote, originally posted by ATL_Av8r »
If the miles are low on the 330i....go with the 330i.
If the miles are high on the 330i....go with the 330i.

Hmm...I also have to ask what year 330i. The very first 330i's were notable for overboosted powersteering.
GTI FTW! That car is terrific. I'm not sure how keen I am on the 5 door, as I've not driven one. But if it's demeanor mirrors that of the hatch, I say it's a no brainer.

UNLESS
the 330i happens to be a ZHP:) Phil will chime in here shortly, I can imagine. The ZHP continues to be one of my most favorite cars ever.

· Registered
3,831 Posts
Re: GTI mkV vs. BMW 330i both 4dr. (MagicGLIturbo)

I voted the GTI before I realized that the poster was in California. I may change my answer now.
Living in the pac nw I enjoy the performance of a turbo for the mountain passes and fwd is easier to drive in the snow and rain.
But, in sunny southern california, a rwd car would be more fun. And you thought I was going to say something about status, superficiality, and ego....

· Registered
1,118 Posts
Re: GTI mkV vs. BMW 330i both 4dr. (IsraelGT)

I would say go with the used car. If you decided you didnt like the 330 in the next couple of years(you would have to be
) you could sell it for nearly the same price and find a used GTI to pick up.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The 330 would be a E46 and possibly a ZHP. I found out my insurance would be +$55 for the GTI and -$53 for a 2004 330i. Interesting!!
Also, I just drove the GTi with DSG and am considering that due to SoCal traffic. If the 330 were auto would everyone still lean towards the BMW?
thanks for the posts!!!
chris

· Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
29,251 Posts
Re: GTI mkV vs. BMW 330i both 4dr. (SuperGroove)

Quote, originally posted by SuperGroove »

Hmm...I also have to ask what year 330i. The very first 330i's were notable for overboosted powersteering.
GTI FTW! That car is terrific. I'm not sure how keen I am on the 5 door, as I've not driven one. But if it's demeanor mirrors that of the hatch, I say it's a no brainer.

UNLESS
the 330i happens to be a ZHP:) Phil will chime in here shortly, I can imagine. The ZHP continues to be one of my most favorite cars ever.

I'm kind of on the same page. I think if the 330 was only less than 4 yrs old and decent mileage, I would be tempted to take the BMW. How long is the warranty for the BMW you are looking at? Though at a certain age, no matter how nice the chassis may be, I would be compelled to pick the newer car, unless of course the car is something special, like say an M3.

· Registered
2,631 Posts
Re: GTI mkV vs. BMW 330i both 4dr. (cakneller)

Tough choice. I've considered (am still considering) the same cars (along with the Audi A3).
I'm a BMW guy at heart, but I also have really enjoyed the VW hatches I've owned. Ideally, I'd buy a BMW hatch - but that's not an option in the U.S. right now.
From a fun to drive perspective.... the BMW is probably more fun because of it's RWD. But the VW is maybe more fun in and around urban areas. I like the short nose on VWs and the seating position. Those hatches feel more tossable than a 3 series sedan. If you need an automatic transmission, I'd go with the VW w/ DSG. You can have the auto box and also have fun when you want to shift (sort of) yourself. I wouldn't buy a 330i with automatic only. The steptronic is not very appealing at all.
From a financial perspective ... the BMW is probably the better buy. They hold value better than VW. Also, as others have said, the used car will have already taken the depreciation hit. Downside is that it's used and you don't get the thrill of getting a brand new car (a short-lived thrill, typically). The BMW CPO warranty is pretty comprehensive. If the 330i is a CPO car, you're in good shape. If it's not CPO - look into getting the CPO warranty for it. If you have limited warranty remaining or if there is no warranty -- then go for the VW.
I kind of want a new GTI myself, but I don't think it makes good sense. My BMW dealer knows me and treats me well. I don't really care for my area VW dealer. That issue is hard for me to get past.
I guess I'll cast my vote for the 330i, but make sure it's a really clean one with a CPO warranty. You can always trade it on a new GTI (esp. a 25th anniversary edition with more bhp and a cool new color).
Good luck. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.