VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so my girlfreind is trying to decide between a new gti and a 03' mini S loaded with 17kmiles on it for 19k ( not including tax and tags ) or the gti 06' pkg 1 w/XM for 22,900 ( not including tax and tags )
now the obvious differences if warranty and financing rates
mini about 7% with remaing warranty till '07 and gti at 3.9% with whatever the new warranty is 4 years or 60k IIRC
as it works out now gti is 439 a month for 60 and mini is 430 a month for 60
but what will hold there value more i beleive the mini S will still hold value a year or 2 down the road where as the GTI will depreciate faster obviously
so i ask the CL guys and gals which to choose

· Registered
11,877 Posts
Re: gti or mini i know beat to death but a lil help please (smi2710)

GTI.
Faaar more livable car. My friend's stock Mini rides stiffer than my GTI with Koni's. I hate riding around that thing in the city, I always feel like my teeth are going to rattle out of my mouth.

· Registered
18,601 Posts

GTI hands down. For 9 dollars more a month you get a brand new car vs a 3 to 4 year old car.
Not to mention a brand new cooper S + a GTI are in the same price range brand new...

Modified by Jetty! at 1:30 PM 8-17-2006

· Registered
5,092 Posts
Re: (salomonsnowboarder)

Quote, originally posted by salomonsnowboarder »
new gti with the dsg. or if shes looking for handling get the new civic si? isnt it a better turner than the gti?

skip DSG and have some real fun.

· Registered
865 Posts

Hmmm. I don't know about other people, but I sometimes actually use my cargo area (not to mention the passenger area) so I'd pick the GTI. Unless this is her second car and she's just looking for a toy.
Oh and has she tried the DSG transmission?

· Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: gti or mini i know beat to death but a lil help please (My My GTI)

ok so you all say gti interesting
tho i was asking about resale value which do you beleive will hold it longer keep in mind we drive about 25k a year each just our commute
she currently has a cabrio so cargo room dosent matter i own a truck if anythign needs to be picked up
and she wont buy a automatic 6 spd all the way
she likes the gti but has wanted a mini for 3 years ago when we bought her the cabrio

· Registered
2,191 Posts

Quote, originally posted by smi2710 »
ok so you all say gti interesting
tho i was asking about resale value which do you beleive will hold it longer keep in mind we drive about 25k a year each just our commute
she likes the gti but has wanted a mini for 3 years ago when we bought her the cabrio

If she wants a Mini she should get one, at least from the depreciation pov it is probably the better buy. Aside from that it probably ain't. I was facing a similar question last summer deciding between a GTI and a Mini (both used obviously) and after driving the Mini I was quite sure I didn't want one as a daily. And when you drive 25k/year each you probably want some comfort and space around you, too. The mileage will probably be similar (may be even better for the GTI?), too.

· Registered
8,908 Posts

This is a No brainer...FLY GTI.

· Registered
4,197 Posts
Re: gti or mini i know beat to death but a lil help please (sciroccohal)

i love my MINI , but only cause its not our only vehicle
that said, my wifes 5 door GTI should be here mid october
best of both worlds

· Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
29,151 Posts
Re: (aethelwulf)

Umm, I think you answered your own question. You said your GF has always wanted one. Why would you even consider a GTI? If you are going to put a ton of miles on the cars, neither car is going to be worth much, though the Mini already has some miles. Life's too short though, if she wants the Mini, have her buy it. Why buy a GTI if it's not what she wants......

· Registered
2,464 Posts
Re: (bluedingdong2)

Go with the GTI, before i got the R32, i was looking at the Cooper S, i went to multiple dealers, they were all jerks
the cars are much less reliable, not to mention a smaller aftermarket selection http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
4,197 Posts
Re: (R32 Master)

Quote, originally posted by R32 Master »
Go with the GTI, before i got the R32, i was looking at the Cooper S, i went to multiple dealers, they were all jerks
the cars are much less reliable, not to mention a smaller aftermarket selection http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Dealers = the suck. But so do most VW

Reliable? double check facts. Very little in way of issues.
Aftermarket may be smaller, but is still VERY strong. Many many Cooper only companies. Also, most big companies cover them too (borla, Koni, Bilstein, Hotchkis, Miltek, etc etc)

· Registered
49,840 Posts
Re: (Bugs)

Depreciation will be higher on a new car, sure. but the payments are almost the same. Most likely this is because the financing on a used car comes at a higher rate. It's almost a wash there. I'd go for the car that I like best. Try 'em both on for size. Price a new Mini while you're at it. With the reduced interest rate, it may be a better buy.
just my .02

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.