VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question...
The current GTI comes in 1.8T and a VR6 model, of which I own the VR6 version.
Well, the new 5th generation is bumped up to 2.0T and is basically giving out the same output as my VR6.
What I want to know is VW planning on releasing a VR6 version of the new 5th generation in the near future because I know they have already released the R32 in Europe and I don't know when the R will be available for the USA. Rumor of it being a 3.6 so don't know yet
I'm not a fan of Turbo so I need to decide weather I should wait for the VR6 version or put in a down payment for the R version when it gets released over here. Because the R is considerably a lot more money, I'm patient enough to wait for the VR6 but if that isn't gonna happen then R it is.
I know they are not really in the same class with the Front vs. 4Motion but they still have GOLF DNA to me
Can anyone shed some light to my delima?
Posted in the Mark IV Forum but they suggested I would get a better answer here

·
Registered
930 Posts
Re: GTI or R32 For Me? Need Help (Zerome)

No VR6 for the MKV GTI. You will have to wait for the supposed .:R36 that is rumored for late 2007 as a 2008 model.
You should go drive the new one you might change your mind. since the torque peak for the 2.0T is so early it really feels close to a VR6.
I do get you though, I have a VR6 myself and love the instant on torque.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
I'm adding this to the FAQ as the VR/ .:R topic is one of common mention around here. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
I should also note that there is talk of an .:R36 Jetta. At this point, that's all it is- talk. In fact, that's all any .:R-line car is for the US- talk. The Golf is all but officially confirmed, though, so it's a bit more likely than the Jetta at this point.
Never underestimate the power of the Vortex member base, though.

·
Registered
316 Posts
In the interest of peppering Vortex with as much support as possible, I'm gonna pipe in again. VWoA, bring us an R36. Jetta, Golf, Passat... first one with V6, AWD, and DSG gets my $ (though I'd prefer a sedan). Thank you.

Oh, and re: a 240hp GTi, I'd argue that total power is only part of the equation, driving an AWD car vs FWD isn't apples to apples.

Modified by rhworks at 10:49 AM 1-18-2006

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Re: (rhworks)

Quote, originally posted by rhworks »

Oh, and re: a 240hp GTi, I'd argue that total power is only part of the equation, driving an AWD car vs FWD isn't apples to apples.
Yeah, but the OP seemed more concerned with having a V6 than AWD. I'm not gonna go too far into the 2.0t vs. VR6 thing, but the 2.0t is putting out more actual horsepower than the 2.8l 24v VR6 did stock, and it's sooooo much cheaper to make really fast.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So now there is only a GTI 2.0T by itself and not two varients like the Mk IV with the VR6. That sucks since I'm an all Motor type of guy.
Anyway, so I guess the R series is it. I'd rather go AWD than have a FW AND Turbo. I compromised by getting a FW car when I got my GTI and its like night and day compared with my RW Nissan Z. I don't know, FW just doesn't do it for me.
Damn... the R is pricey but I also looked into the 3.2 A3 but I personally think Audi is asking too much for too little... what do u guys think.
For a little more - that is asuming the new R will be around 35K - I think it is the better deal.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Re: (blackvento36)

Quote, originally posted by blackvento36 »
Yeah, but the OP seemed more concerned with having a V6 than AWD. I'm not gonna go too far into the 2.0t vs. VR6 thing, but the 2.0t is putting out more actual horsepower than the 2.8l 24v VR6 did stock, and it's sooooo much cheaper to make really fast.

True. I was very impressed with the GLI's 2.0t (and DSG), for sure. If that engine/trans combo were offered with 4mo it'd be very compelling to just go chip and be done. A little lighter (2.0 vs vr6) is certainly a little better... hell, power-for-power I'd like a 2.0t FSI in place of my B5's 2.8/30v V6.
A tangent in the thread, I guess; I'm just personally a little frustrated with FWD... while my Touareg is both relatively overweight and underpowered, it's still more fun to drive.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd wait for the R, the look of it is by far better than the one from the GTI (stock GTI from the back looks exactly like a normal golf, except that it has two exhaust pipes).

·
Registered
236 Posts
Re: GTI or R32 For Me? Need Help (Zerome)

Save your money for a bit and get one of these!!

If/when it comes to the states it will be a stunning car! and it will hopefully come as a re-skinned .:R32/36 on 4motion...yeah baby!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.