VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm sitting pretty happy with my GTI, I don't owe any money on it and it serves its function very well. I did, however, come across RX-8's with around 50-60 thousand miles for 12-13 thousand dollars and my mouth started watering. The switch would purely be for entertainment's sake, but also knowing that I'd be bringing it to college next year. The GTI is lowered, and I have no desire to raise it back up after buying the coils but if I could sell the GTI for exactly what it would cost to put me in a 2004 RX-8, should I do it? I understand the GTI is slightly more functional for college...but I've seen 3-4 other ones on campus and they seem to fare pretty well.

So, what would you do?
(also, of note, driving the car would largely be just for pleasure down at school, and there's no doubt an RX-8 is more pleasurable than a Mark IV...)
Pix in the Mix

·
Banned
517 Posts
Re: GTI or RX-8 (Mk2Fever)

I think the GTI is a more practical daily driver.
The FD RX-7 excites me in a way the RX-8 never will. RX-8s are common as f*ck around here at least and the styling of the previous RX-7 was soooo much more flowing an elegant than the weird RX-8 with its Saturn-style 3rd door that all I can think of when I see an RX-8 is how much cooler the RX-7 was. Twin turbos and they didn't have to lie about the horsepower either.
50-60,000 miles is a lot for a rotary engine IIRC too.
I can understand sacrificing some common sense for an FD RX-7 but the RX-8? Meh...

·
Registered
661 Posts
Re: (Markov79)

I might be wrong but doesn't the RX-8 have 50/50 weight distribution too?
I would rather take an RX-7 over an RX-8 any day and primarilly use it for track.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Re: (JayDiv)

Quote, originally posted by JayDiv »
rx8s handle like a dream. i used to drive one alot and the suspension is much nicer than any modified vw

any? I dunno about that....

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Re: GTI or RX-8 (yoohoorocket)

Quote, originally posted by yoohoorocket »
Saturn-style 3rd door

Oh, please.
all I can think of when I see an RX-8 is how much cooler the RX-7 was
All I can think of when I see a Mk5 R32 is how much lighter the Mk1 Scirocco is. What? They're totally different cars? Oh, wait....

Twin turbos and they didn't have to lie about the horsepower either.
RX-7 twin turbos didn't last because of poor heat management, which is why the RX-8 has much better durability and actually works as a *car*, not a fanboi toy.
EDIT: Nobody's lying about the RX-8 horsepower, nor did they pre-release. Get your facts straight.

50-60,000 miles is a lot for a rotary engine IIRC too.
Yes, for the shiatty twin-turbo FD. If the Renesis engine is taken care of with proper oil changes it'll go twice that easily.

Modified by OOOO-A3 at 10:02 AM 3-2-2008

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
Re: GTI or RX-8 (Mk2Fever)

Quote, originally posted by Mk2Fever »
So I'm sitting pretty happy with my GTI, I don't owe any money on it and it serves its function very well.

I think you've answered your own question in your first sentence.

·
Registered
39,636 Posts
Re: GTI or RX-8 (P-Body)

Quote, originally posted by P-Body »

I think you've answered your own question in your first sentence.

X2.
The RX-8 is a fantastic car, but this is an apples and oranges kind of comparison. The GTI is a practical car that is somewhat sporty. The RX-8 is a sporty car that is somewhat practical.
If you're happy with your current situation, keep it.

·
Registered
2004 VW Golf R32, 1971 BMW 2002, 2019 VW Golf All-Track
2,149 Posts
RX8 all day any day over a GTI.
It'll outhandle ANY VW. The fanbois that bash it have never driven a real sports car, and are convinced their lowered FWD VWs can take a turn quicker than an F1 car...

·
Registered
2020 BMW M340i
1,088 Posts
I think that if you intend to drive very much, the sucky gas mileage of the Mazda will make you pee blood which is too bad, cause it is a sharp car.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: (blau)

Quote, originally posted by blau »
It'll outhandle ANY VW. The fanbois that bash it have never driven a real sports car, and are convinced their lowered FWD VWs can take a turn quicker than an F1 car...

RX8's do handle very well but not better than ANY vw. I know someone with a Mk2 GTI with some suspension mods that outhandles the RX8 in every way. If I were you I would keep the GTI through college and then worry about changing cars.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Re: (DRus11)

Quote, originally posted by DRus11 »

RX8's do handle very well but not better than ANY vw. I know someone with a Mk2 GTI with some suspension mods that outhandles the RX8 in every way.

Put the pipe down. Please. The RX-8 is a ton more balanced and communicative than any FWD VW econobox.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Re: (DRus11)

If you don't mind feeding the rotary's fuel habit, and any other associated costs (although VR6's aren't normally "cheap" to insure or maintain - so those costs may be a wash) I'd go for it.
RX-8's are great cars. I'd love to have one - and probably would have one if they didn't consume fuel like it was 1964 all over again.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: (anon_az)

Quote, originally posted by anon_az »

Put the pipe down. Please. The RX-8 is a ton more balanced and communicative than any FWD VW econobox.

Um no. Unless you own or know someone that owns both I'm not gonna listen to anything you have to say. Of course a RX8 will outhandle a stock Mk2 but thats not what I was talking about.

·
Banned
7,895 Posts
Re: (blau)

Quote, originally posted by blau »

Since the OP lives in NY will the RX-8 outhandle the GTI in the snow? This is your year round daily driver I assume? If so don't just consider performance. I drove past an RX-8 last week that was stuck on a mild incline in the snow in my MK5 GTI. Never been in an rx-8 but I'm sure w/ the seats down your GTI has more room to haul stuff back and forth to college.
If I wanted performance I wouldn't buy an RX-8 but that's just me. I think the car is hideous and they make no torque. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Re: GTI or RX-8 (PassSedanGLX)

Quote, originally posted by PassSedanGLX »

X2.
The RX-8 is a fantastic car, but this is an apples and oranges kind of comparison. The GTI is a practical car that is somewhat sporty. The RX-8 is a sporty car that is somewhat practical.
If you're happy with your current situation, keep it.

QFT. I love the '8, but my current g/f has one and I decided since there was one in the household already, I'd indulge my hatch addiction again. The ONLY two things which really kept me from getting an '8 myself was the small trunk *opening* (carries a decent amount in the trunk, but you can't get normal things through the small opening) and the fuel consumption. At the time I had a 100-mile/day commute. She has a 10 mile/day commute. There's a big difference.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.