VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

my GTI developed a problem 2 days ago, it never happened before.
I was overtaking cars, WOT, 3rd gear, as I got to approx 4000 RPM, the engine cut off the power completely, shifted to 4th, no power, I barely overtook and lined myself, put in 6th and just cruised. I plugged VCDS straight after and there was NO FAULT CODE in ECU?!
yesterday I changed spark plugs, cleaned MAF, checked hoses and pipes, did a run in 3rd, the car felt like not running on full power, but reved...then I tried again, the cut off came at around 5500 RPM, again, just split second and the power is gone. Then the same 2 minutes after at 5000 RPM. No fault codes what so ever...

The car MK6 GTI 2010, CCZB engine, 130 000km, Stage 1 + air intake and cat back (this setup is there for almost a year now, no issues so far)

Chains are changed 10k km ago, intake valves and injectors cleaned 5k km ago...I checked the DV connector (running on revision C with piston design) and the connector is dry, without oil. Car is always running on 98+ octane with oil changes after 8k km...

Somebody with same situation? any help will be appreciated as I don´t have any ideas...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Happened to me and I hated it. Ok here is what I did.
When you install intake maf sensor position needs to be on top. I ll send a picture later on. After that I haven’t experienced it again. Also I am not sure if it is related 100%, but worth to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is true that I have it slightly angled, maybe 30 degrees. I´m running Forge intake, so I have my MAF moved somewhere in the middle of the car. Originally it´s on the right side. And it started after I moved it a bit, because I was putting heat resistant tape on the intake. I will give it a shot, sounds simple and I would be happy if only this is the problem! :thumbup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, so it seems that the issue is cracked V-band flange holding the turbo...common issue on 2,0TSI, and yet another conclusion that this is my last VW. Hopefully I can find it somewhere and replace.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Okay, so it seems that the issue is cracked V-band flange holding the turbo...common issue on 2,0TSI, and yet another conclusion that this is my last VW. Hopefully I can find it somewhere and replace.
Good luck and good please let me know how it turned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So at first the dealer couldn´t find it in the system, even tho I sent him the OEM number that I found on some other forum. But now he eventually found it, so it´s ordered, we´ll see if it´s the right one :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: The V-band clamp is fixed now, turbo is back together, however the cut off is still there. I checked fuel pump load on idle, was on 55% steady, which according to Ross tech means or points at some restriction in the system. The value doesn´t fluctuate, so the fuel pump should be OK...I will start with fuel filter today to see if that helps.

For all of you, check the V-band clamp on the turbo! it can be cracked and the turbo might not leak...yet :mad:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another day passed, I changed the fuel filter, the duty cycle on HPFP dropped from 55% to 47ish% and the pressure on idle is 39,5-40,5, requested is 40. However the cut off is still there! After the change, couple runs were fine, but then after a drive home I went WOT in 3rd again, and it did that again and again in 4th...no errors kept in ECU.

I´m trying to figure out how to determine if it´s LPFP or HPFP failing...on EA888 engines we don´t have a group 103 in VCDS, which monitors the LPFP system.

has anyone any suggestion? I don´t want to throw just parts to that car and guess...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi all again,

today I swapped the LPFP and the problem is still there...

I was logging it, during the cut off, fuel pressure dropped from 160bar to 3.5bar...then it dropped from 120 to 70 for example....another behaviour which lead me to LPFP was this - I floor the car in 2nd, no problem at all, it goes all the way to redline, then I put in 3rd and I immediately feel that power is gone, if I press the pedal completely nothing happens, no acceleration - so I was thinking there is not enough fuel supplied. Sometimes it accelerates in 3rd but then starts to cut off...

the only code is P0087 - low fuel rail pressure...on logs, the requested pressure is followed by acctual, it maintains those 160 bars for a while and then it drops down...

could someone give me some hint please?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all again,

today I swapped the LPFP and the problem is still there...

I was logging it, during the cut off, fuel pressure dropped from 160bar to 3.5bar...then it dropped from 120 to 70 for example....another behaviour which lead me to LPFP was this - I floor the car in 2nd, no problem at all, it goes all the way to redline, then I put in 3rd and I immediately feel that power is gone, if I press the pedal completely nothing happens, no acceleration - so I was thinking there is not enough fuel supplied. Sometimes it accelerates in 3rd but then starts to cut off...

the only code is P0087 - low fuel rail pressure...on logs, the requested pressure is followed by acctual, it maintains those 160 bars for a while and then it drops down...

could someone give me some hint please?
Pretty much experiancing the same issues as you in 4/5/6th gear wot between 2-4k rpm. Did you manage to solve it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have started to have a very similar problem just this week myself.

For me, it is just intermittently and it is cutting out right at 4K RPMs on a hard pull. I mean that it almost seems like an electronic cut off like a rev limiter and exactly at 4K RPM's. It will not go past 4K RPM. It sometimes has a rough idle at start up for a few minutes too. This cut out seems to be while the engine is warming up and once fully up to temp, it generally runs great again and I can get it to pull smoothly to 5K or beyond.

No codes thrown / CEL on mine yet. I have not hooked up to it to see if there are any stored codes though but nothing on the dash.

Car has been heavily maintained including two carbon cleanings, replaced the intake manifold, new clutch and rear main seal where just installed as were all new plugs and coils and the timing chain was also done just within the last 4K miles. If the car ever needed anything, it got it. A couple of injectors were replaced a while back. I do not believe the fuel pumps were ever replaced though.

The car does have an APR Stage 1 tune and airbox on it. That’s pretty much the only mod.

In my Google searching, I have seen a case or two where the HPFP had to be replaced and where the APU tune had to be reflashed but, those cases all had regular, everyday symptoms and most had CEL’s like you guys are reporting.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this intermittently too? Are there any common items that the fuel pump that are just known to be spent by the time you reach 120K that I should replace now as a good hunch that this could be related too?

Thanks very much for posing, I do not mean to hijack but could not help but jump in since my issues are so similar.

Also, could a tank or two of 87 octane cause this? Just took a long trip and hit a couple stations where the 93 was not available.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah it’s a weird one, I had cel come on as it accounted 19 times in a few days.
I’ve changed
OEM Lpfp - changed
Lpfp module - changed
G247 Bosch fuel rail sensor - changed
OEM HPFP changed
OEM CAM ROLLER - changed
OEM REV G Changed from GFB DV+
OEM FUEL FILTER - changed
PCV valve changed
intake valves, runner guides & injector cleaned

went stock to see if it was map issue, still occurred.

absolutely lost on this one. Can anyone shed some light?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah it’s a weird one, I had cel come on as it accounted 19 times in a few days.
I’ve changed
OEM Lpfp - changed
Lpfp module - changed
G247 Bosch fuel rail sensor - changed
OEM HPFP changed
OEM CAM ROLLER - changed
OEM REV G Changed from GFB DV+
OEM FUEL FILTER - changed
PCV valve changed

went stock to see if it was map issue, still occurred.

absolutely lost on this one. Can anyone shed some light?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I reached out to FCP Euro who I buy a lot of my German car parts from and that had a couple thoughts:

1. Check where the plug is on top of the HPFP there was a common issue of those parts cracking and causing running issues on some vehicles.

2. Do a vacuum leak test on the vehicle as well and make sure that there are no leaks in that system that could cause those problems.

I have not had a chance to look into it yet as my son is driving the car but, since Friday, we are cutting out less at 4K RPMs but seeing more stuttering in first gear until the car is warmed up. But again, still no check engine lights. I am hesitant to take it into a shop until we get CEL's or the issue is very consistent and they would be able to easily repeat it. I am going to try to look for the cracked connection on top of the HPFP later today...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I reached out to FCP Euro who I buy a lot of my German car parts from and that had a couple thoughts:

1. Check where the plug is on top of the HPFP there was a common issue of those parts cracking and causing running issues on some vehicles.

2. Do a vacuum leak test on the vehicle as well and make sure that there are no leaks in that system that could cause those problems.

I have not had a chance to look into it yet as my son is driving the car but, since Friday, we are cutting out less at 4K RPMs but seeing more stuttering in first gear until the car is warmed up. But again, still no check engine lights. I am hesitant to take it into a shop until we get CEL's or the issue is very consistent and they would be able to easily repeat it. I am going to try to look for the cracked connection on top of the HPFP later today...

well an update for me, nothing really. Noticed only does it on WOT, if I drive on partial throttle I don’t get any codes fuel rail doesn’t drop, nor do I get a fuel cut stutter…
things done so far
New OEM Lpfp
New Lpfp module
New G247 Bosch fuel rail sensor
New Piersburg HPFP
New OEM CAM ROLLER
New OEM REV G Changed from GFB DV+
New OEM FUEL FILTER
New PCV valve
New Precat lambda
Carbon clean via external company
All new Injectors
New battery

Fuel test lpfp 4.5bar on gauge through ignition
Fuel line from tank to filter blown down

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow, you have certainly covered it from many angles. I know its frustrating. I did inspect the connection to my HPFP over the weekend and all looks to be perfectly intact there. As an update, it has morphed from cutting out right at 4K RPM's to stuttering and idling rough for just the first few minutes until it is up to temp. If I start it and let it idle, it will dip and sputter and little bit but not to the point of cutting off. If I start it and drive off when completely cold, it will hesitate and sputter a bit in 1st and 2nd gears. Generally once I am going a bit faster, say 35MPH or more, it smooths out. Once its warmed up, its fine even in the lower gears, speed and RPM's. STILL NOT A SINGLE CODE THROWN. I spoke to an independent shop in my area that specializes in VW and BMW and they agreed that it could be a vacuum leak somewhere or thought it might be a gummed up flapper valve inside the air intake manifold (which was replaced in the past few years). Anyway, they have been covered up but are going to take it in this Thursday and get a look at it. I will be sure to let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow, you have certainly covered it from many angles. I know its frustrating. I did inspect the connection to my HPFP over the weekend and all looks to be perfectly intact there. As an update, it has morphed from cutting out right at 4K RPM's to stuttering and idling rough for just the first few minutes until it is up to temp. If I start it and let it idle, it will dip and sputter and little bit but not to the point of cutting off. If I start it and drive off when completely cold, it will hesitate and sputter a bit in 1st and 2nd gears. Generally once I am going a bit faster, say 35MPH or more, it smooths out. Once its warmed up, its fine even in the lower gears, speed and RPM's. STILL NOT A SINGLE CODE THROWN. I spoke to an independent shop in my area that specializes in VW and BMW and they agreed that it could be a vacuum leak somewhere or thought it might be a gummed up flapper valve inside the air intake manifold (which was replaced in the past few years). Anyway, they have been covered up but are going to take it in this Thursday and get a look at it. I will be sure to let you know what I find out.
Honestly, the amount of money I’ve spent…

do you also get p0087 intermittently?

I’ve also heard that boost/vacuum leak can also cause the code to throw, but what I don’t understand is if that’s the case; why am I seeing the rail pressure drop on logs..

Do let us know what you find out!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts