VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the topic states... for those interested in swapping GTI seats into a Rabbit, this may give people a bit of an idea as to what is necessary and what is not. A big thanks to Aaron for doing the swap and help during the process.
The vehicles at hand:
06 GTI - 07 Rabbit (non heated seats in both cars)
The actual bolt in procedure for both cars is identical, removing the front seats requires removing (4) 12pt bolts per seat and disconnecting the harness to remove. There are a few other DIY's floating around for this (and it's pretty straight forward), so I'm not going to try and re-create the wheel.
I think what some of the major questions are deal with the coding and the airbag connectors... well, we have some answers!
Are the airbag connectors the same between the GTI and Rabbit?
No, they are not. There is a very slight difference between the actual connector from the seat harness to the car harness. It's a very slight difference, but enough that it won't just snap together. The harness at the floor end of the seat harness will need cut and spliced together.

Did you have to cut the harness to swap the connectors over?
Yes. There are other ways of doing this... trying to pin out the connector might be one solution, but in the long run it was easier to cut and splice the wires back together. The wiring configuration is very similar between the seats, but it's not identical.
On the 06 GTI seats, they ran the harness from the airbag and tied it into the main seat harness. I was working with (2) sets of wires, the airbag wiring itself (brown/blue/black) and the main harness (brown/green/white). These connect together and the (brown/green/white) is what ends up connecting to the main harness (floor).
Just a reference point for correct color sequence:

On the 07 Rabbit seats, they decided to do away with the (brown/green/white) section of seat harness and the airbag runs directly into the main harness on the floor. The same colors as the GTI seats where it connects under the seat (brown/blue/black) but it does not have the (brown/green/white) as the GTI seats do.
So that's nice and all, now which wires do I splice together?
It's pretty simple actually. On the bottom of the GTI seat, you can see the pin configuration, (see above photos) so just use that as a "template". Cut the airbag connectors off at the floor side of the seat harness, solder them back on matching the appropriate colors and install the seats.
That's it? No coding to do?

No, VAG-COM is required. This may vary between cars, but my airbag light was on after the swap. The car was never started nor the key in the ignition during the swap however the airbag light was still on. The airbag light was on due to the Seat Occupied Recognition Control Module (J706). It's a simple process to reset, but just clearing the code will not make it go away.
Follow this link for the reset procedure:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/inde...irbag
Basic Setting
Seat Occupied Recognition Control Module (J706)
If the Seat Occupied Recognition Control Module (J706) or the seat itself have been replaced, the basic setting has to be performed.
[Select]
[15 - Airbags]
[Security Access - 16]
Enter 20324, to enable the basic setting.
[Do it!]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 001
[Go!]
Activate the Basic Setting.
[ON/OFF/Next]
The reset has been performed.
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

And that was it... GTI seats installed in a Rabbit, no codes and no airbag lights.
I http://****************.com/smile/emlove.gif plaid.

Modified by JonnyKuhns at 6:34 PM 9-24-2007

Modified by JonnyKuhns at 6:36 PM 9-24-2007

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hope you like the seats man! I am actually very happy with the Rabbit seats. I give them about a 7/10 and the GTI seats a 3/10. Being 6'6" and 300lbs makes me oposite of the norm.
Hopefully tomorrow I can get the VAG COM and get rid of my airbag light. Nice write up and glad we could figure it out for everyone to use. Wish we had one of these earlier huh. I will give you a ring on monday. Later man.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Re: (Buckeye Batey)

We reset Aaron's airbag light tonight. One thing to check and clear any fault codes before or after resetting the seat occupied airbag light. I failed to do this and couldn't get the light to clear. All good now. I really like the plaid seats, but the rabbit ones fit well in Aaron's car.

Modified by Scott Evil at 6:04 PM 9-26-2007

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Re: (Scott Evil)

Here is something wierd......I have an 08 Rabbit and just installed 07 GTI seats, they plugged right in with all colors matching ??? Didnt think it was going to be this cut and dry. Still have to clear air bag lights with VAG.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Re: (08jackrabbit)

Quote, originally posted by 08jackrabbit »
Here is something wierd......I have an 08 Rabbit and just installed 07 GTI seats, they plugged right in with all colors matching ??? Didnt think it was going to be this cut and dry. Still have to clear air bag lights with VAG.

Here's something even MORE strange........ I have an '08 RAbbit and just put in '07 GTi seats as well and the plastic "clips" don't match up. Same 3 wires, just the plastic "clip" that needs to be swapped over, or at least cut the wires and wire it back up.
Weird..........

·
Registered
27,098 Posts
Re: (WannaCorrado)

I didn't want to do this because of the plug issue, but it appears that they may have gone to a standard plug on the newer models. If so.......... awesome.
Anyone else done this with everything matching up properly?

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Re: (SAPJetta)

Quote, originally posted by SAPJetta »
I didn't want to do this because of the plug issue, but it appears that they may have gone to a standard plug on the newer models. If so.......... awesome.
Anyone else done this with everything matching up properly?

Did this with 08 gti leathers into an 08 rabbit, plug and play.
sorry to bump an old thread.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Re: (keanubear)

Quote, originally posted by keanubear »
Where are you guys getting gti/ leather seats?
Would jetta seats swap into a rabbit as easily?

seat swaps or crashed cars http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif jetta seats swap too!! but they dont fold forward bc the jetta is a four door....would work in a 4 dr rabbit

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Re: (keanubear)

Quote, originally posted by keanubear »
Where are you guys getting gti/ leather seats?
Would jetta seats swap into a rabbit as easily?

Just keep an eye out in the classifieds. You just missed one a few days ago in S.F. that I picked up
Or you can post a trade thread in there. Some of the bigger guys prefer the Jetta/Rabbit seats to the GTI seats so you might be able to find someone who wants to swap.
That and keep an eye out in the local junkyards. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
It's definitely worth it though. The stock Rabbit seats are so plain and boring compared to even the cloth plaid seats.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Re: (Outie5000)

Quote, originally posted by Outie5000 »

Did this with 08 gti leathers into an 08 rabbit, plug and play.
sorry to bump an old thread.

Doesn't the leathers have power lumbar? Did that work too?

·
Registered
348 Posts
2010 golf 2dr - rabbit 2dr seat swap...

I am hoping to find 2dr rabbit seats to swap into my 2 dr golf tdi...

I'm a big guy and the golf 6 seats are like the gti seats... which basically suck for large people...

Is this possible?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.