VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if the MK7 GTI 4-door DSG has a 50mm, or 55 (54.5)mm strut? I'm trying to order coilovers and need help. Thanks

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Anyone know if the MK7 GTI 4-door DSG has a 50mm, or 55 (54.5)mm strut? I'm trying to order coilovers and need help. Thanks
front or rear? I can measure tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Front, thanks Gregv!
I have a 2door manual but I doubt the shocks would be different!

Let's see if I can install my 4th and last lowering spring... :faceplate:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
GTI's are 55mm. The Golf so far seems to be 50mm.

Edit: Should have gathered from your question that you are ordering BC coils. Are you going with the extreme drop struts? At the time of order they are a no cost option as well as your desired spring rate and length.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Tomorrow's To-Do list already getting shorter :laugh:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes Wastegate13, I'm going extreme drop. Do you know how much longer the order wait time is if choosing that option?

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
This was already mentioned in your other thread asking for recommendations on good choices for coilovers. The Golf has the 50mm strut and the GTI has the 54.5mm strut.

May I ask which brand you're going with? They should know this, at least I would hope so.. because they DID test and develop their suspension on the vehicle, right? :confused:

·
Registered
5,297 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
16plus4v, I am going w/ BC. They knew the strut sizes, just VW for whatever reason produced the GTI (earlier releases) w/ a 50mm strut size and a 54.5 (referred to as 55 by most aftermarket). So I called H&R to verify. H&R confirmed that they too had run into that same problem on some MK7 GTI's although it was rare.

PS. Thank you Smokey_Llama for the photo! That has got to be one of the cleanest wheel wells I've ever seen! And what is that measuring tape 'from the future'?? It's sick! Want one

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
My pleasure, the car had about 400 miles on it at that point, it's winter now and I guarantee it doesn't look like that now. Search digital caliper on Amazon, pretty cheap.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Interesting. You guys have different shocks than EU models. Mine don't have that flat spot, and they're not Sachs.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Interesting. You guys have different shocks than EU models. Mine don't have that flat spot, and they're not Sachs.
That flat spot suggests to me that while the outer strut casing is ~55mm, the actual shock body is a crimped in place insert of smaller diameter.

Neil

1 - 20 of 26 Posts