VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2016 gti. It drives fine to and from work every day. Problem is when I drive it short distances and the coolant gets to temp but it’s not fully warmed up. When I park and come back out the temperature gauge is full maxed out and the car is in limp mode. Usually restarting the car will fix the problem.
My friend that has had a few vws back in the day keeps saying it’s the thermostat but I don’t see how it could be if a 1 second long restart fixes the problem.
Already replaced the temperature sensor on the radiator and checked wiring for a short up to the main harness bundle. Has anyone else dealt with this problem?
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

·
Registered
273 Posts
Definitely sticking thermostat. Also, if it got that far to the point that the car went into limp mode and the gauge is pinned, I would think there’s a good chance you can have some mechanical issues because if it. Like a warped head, burnt up valves, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don’t mean to sound rude but how can a partially warmed up car that’s been sitting turned off for 30-60 minutes raise 80 degrees in temperature then in one second after restart be 80 degrees cooler at normal operating temperature. I really don’t want to spend the time and money changing the thermostat if that might not be the fix.
Again if I sound rude sorry. I just really don’t get how the thermostat could be the issue.

·
Registered
2018 GTI SE 3 Pedals
1,476 Posts
They’re describing a sticking thermostat. So are you. Check to see if the inlet and outlet hoses are the same temp, you can also pull the radiator cap (safely) and see if coolant is moving/still.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts