VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the golf IV forum.. I didn't know this forum was here til a guy told me. Sorry for double posting but I just need some help

Sorry guys for asking but I'm new to the 'race' scene so please don't flame me.
I'm trying to find a perfect (or near perfect) launch RPM speed for a stock VR6. Anybody out there can give me some pointers or hints? I thought that 3500 rpm might've been good enough but anybody else have different thoughts?

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Re: GTI VR6 (tatge)

quote:[HR][/HR]3500 clutch drop is perfect if you don't know how to drive and want to smoke your tires. This really isn't a 12v question either. The reason 1.8t drivers go to 3500 is because they need their turbo to spool. Run a search on "drag racing" or check out the drag racing forum Good Luck[HR][/HR]​
word..to much tr0k..i bring it to about 1500 and feather the clutch out..enough not to bog and not too much to hop and burn

·
Registered
502 Posts
Re: GTI VR6 (2002) - Launch RPM question! Any input is appreciated! (boya)

really depends on how you drive your clutch but i think play around with it at around 1400 to 2000 with traction off and find a combination of letting the clutch go without much sluggishnes or too much wheel spin. its all what you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Re: GTI VR6 (ricers-beware)

quote:[HR][/HR]by the time the clutch is out all the way im shifting into second[HR][/HR]​
haha, taken out of context its funny. so you are feathering it through 3k to 6k rpms? die clutch die!!

·
Registered
2 Turbo Wagons.
16,780 Posts
Re: GTI VR6 (O_loung1)

the cartest.exe program recommends a 2600 rpm clutch dump. Any higher, and you spin too much. Any lower, and the car just boggs. It works pretty well. When you drop the clutch, the RPMs don't drop much, the wheels spin for a bit, everything evens out, and off you go.
That's pretty much what you want. Bogg it, and you're waiting for the revs to come off idle. Spin through 1st, and you're not putting the power down.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Re: GTI VR6 (Surf Green)

quote:[HR][/HR]the cartest.exe program recommends a 2600 rpm clutch dump. Any higher, and you spin too much. Any lower, and the car just boggs. It works pretty well. When you drop the clutch, the RPMs don't drop much, the wheels spin for a bit, everything evens out, and off you go.
That's pretty much what you want. Bogg it, and you're waiting for the revs to come off idle. Spin through 1st, and you're not putting the power down.[HR][/HR]​
if i DROPED it at 2600RPM i would spin the wheels untill i peg the top of first...

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Re: GTI VR6 (corpsedub)

corspedub, i think dropping the clutch at 2600 is highly dependant on the mods you have. judging by dyno sheets, dsr/chip combo will raise your torque from 10-15 extra pounds, which in can be just enough to break the tires loose till revline.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Re: GTI VR6 (O_loung1)

quote:[HR][/HR]corspedub, i think dropping the clutch at 2600 is highly dependant on the mods you have. judging by dyno sheets, dsr/chip combo will raise your torque from 10-15 extra pounds, which in can be just enough to break the tires loose till revline. [HR][/HR]​
even stock..your going to get some decent wheelhop..at least on the MK4's you will..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: GTI VR6 (corpsedub)

Thanks guys for all the posts!
Tested it out this weekend with the real owner of the car and it worked out great. I didn't know how to compensate for the extra person in the car so I just left the RPM sit around the 2500 range. Slipped a little but still took off from the line.
With the car being a little heavier now with another person, could I have gotten away with a higher RPM without doing a major burnout?

·
Registered
2 Turbo Wagons.
16,780 Posts
Re: GTI VR6 (boya)

My mistake for not notcing it was a Mk4. The proggy I got 2600 Dump with for the Mk3 gives 2200 for the Mk4.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Re: GTI VR6 (Surf Green)

hey i don't own a vr6
but just a related qs
pretty new to stick shift, i'm not really sure of the differences between dumping, slipping and feathering the clutch
can someone explain?
i tried launching the car as fast as i could today, lots of tire spin, then the car kinda jerked and made "buunnk" sounds. wat's up with that?

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
Re: GTI VR6 (billgti)

quote:[HR][/HR]hey i don't own a vr6
but just a related qs
pretty new to stick shift, i'm not really sure of the differences between dumping, slipping and feathering the clutch
can someone explain?
i tried launching the car as fast as i could today, lots of tire spin, then the car kinda jerked and made "buunnk" sounds. wat's up with that?
[HR][/HR]​
Dumping: Rev to a certain rpm, remove your foot from the clutch as quickly as possible, watch smoke pour from your wheel wells...
Feathering: Rev to a certain rpm, remove your foot fromt the clutch as slowly as needed to avoid wheelspin, no smoke...
Slipping: Anyone wanna chime in here?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Re: GTI VR6 (osiris)

thanks osiris
maybe slipping and feathering is kinda the same? hm..
wat is this thing about the engine bogging?
i had some jerking and reduce in power with the ASR on..i guess that was just the engine reducing power to the wheels, not bogging?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Re: GTI VR6 (billgti)

on my old gti vr6 I slip the clutch at 5500rpm...I use the clutch to modulate wheel spin and the throttle to compensate drop in rpm .....try to keep the whole lauch at that rpm...once the wheel hooks a little then let the clutch out all the way, then u should be right about ready to shift to 2nd at about 6200 rpm without a chip...I would shift at 6800 rpm if I've got a chip...I did 14.7 at the 1/4 on a TT chipped and exhaust car with TSW wheels...very very heavy...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.