-TT 276 cam chip.
-TT PVC block off.
-TT 160 thermostat.
-TT stainless exhuast.
-Mk1 radiator with inline filler neck.
-mk4 intake manifold swap.
-dual 10" slim fans.
-Custom 3" intake.
-Custom extended wiring harness by Matt at Euro Kraft.

Suspension/Brakes
-Cx Racing Coilovers.
-Camber Shims (-2.5).
-Oem Corrado Disc brakes front & rear.
-Garagistic 90mm Race Stud Conversion.

Wheels.
Work Equip 03"S
Front- 15x9 et 22 with 195/45 R15 Toyo T1R's.
Rear- 15x9 et22 (et17 with 5mm spacer) with 195/45 R15 Toyo T1R's.

Exterior
-Respray in VW Tornado Red with clear.
-OEM G60 front lip.
-OEM Euro ecode headlights.
-B4 Glass sunroof.

Interior
-Nardi Classic 300mm wood & polished wheel.
-Nardi mk2/mk3 Hub adaptor.
-OEM euro Corrado seat belts.
-(2x) TF-Works Bucket seats with Silver flake backs.
-(2x) OMP Low side mounts.
-(2x) Planeted Corrado seat brackets.
-Rear seats removed.
-rear section of car gutted.
-Heater box removed.

Hello Everyone.
It's been a bit since I posted on here or gave any updates about what I have been up to so I guess it's catch up time.

In July 2016 I sold my RHD Mk3 Panel Van to Start a new project. I was never really happy with the Panel Van so I figured it was time to let her go. some pictures of it.

Untitled by gtikole gtikole, on Flickr

With the Panel Van gone I started looking for something else to build. One day I was scrolling through Instagram & I saw my Buddy Mark Lewis had posted a picture of this corrado he had done some work to and said it was for sale. Mark had just repainted the whole car so I was really happy to see that but the biggest plus of all...
I have a OBD1 ABA swap running on OBD2 Management.

I know to must they are like why yould you remove the G60 for a NA ABA but to me that is perfect because I love NA 8v's and ABA's are my favorite.

So I agreed on a price with Mark and a my friend Jasen & I booked a plane ticket to Baltimore. Sadly the flights did not link up as we had hope so Jasen missed the connecting flight in ATL due to his plane being late that we were suppose to meet up at and fly together to Baltimore. So I landed around 6pm and were pick up by my good friends Matt and Andi and picked up Jasen at the airport 6 hours later. Mark meet us at Matt and Andi's house and a few hours of talking and bull****ing I know owned a Corrado.

It was a good base to start with since it already had CX racing Coils which I love on Mk2/3's, Euro ecode headligths, Euro seat belts & some classic Borbets.
I Already had parts waiting for me In Pa were I was staying for the weekend. Ended picking up a euro 90mm lip for Orchid Euro. I also had a Nardi hub a adaptor sent to my friends hosue so I could install my Nardi Wheel in the car. So I installed all that right when I got to PA.

Myself with the Corrado.
_DSC0404 by gtikole gtikole, on Flickr

I then spent the weekend with friends & hanging out at VagFair and then made the drive home.

For the next few months I just enjoyed the car and the warm weather. I also picked up a set of drop plates for the rear to help with shock travel and recenter my wheels in the rear arch. I then went to H2Oi with friendsand had a great time.

Then in late October I decided it was time to take the corrado off the road and start work. I went to one last meet in Cinci and ripped it apart the next day.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My goal when I started taking the car apart was like every other VW kid. Pull the motor, hide all the wires & shave the bay but after some time my goals changed a bit. I want to lean more towards the motorsport side, simplify the engine/ engine bay as possible and kind of add a little touches from some Japanese cars I love.

First things first was ripping the car apart and removing the engine harness. I removed the front end and started labeling all the connectors. I did the same in the fuse box area. I also pulled the dash to make my life a lot easier in this process.

After a good amount of delooming I was able to get the lighting & engine harness out of the car and separated from each other. This is honestly the best way to learn your wiring and see that it is really not as scary as your mind thinks.

At this point I had to start thinking where I want to move connectors and were I wanted to route my harness. I knew from the start I want to run the harnesses from the fender to the front crossmember so nothing was on the frame rails at all. I started cutting and extending wires.

At this point I moved the harness back to the car. I made an access hole the rain tray and side of the inner fender to get the harness to the fuse panel from the arch area. I thought in my head that is all I would have to extend wire wise..
NOT THE CASE AT ALL.
once I got the harness in it was clear that all most all the connectors had to be extended.

So I started cutting and extending for days...

Harness all extended. Tested it to make sure everything still fired properly and ran correct. No issues at all.

I also knew the Borbets had to go. They just did not fit the car or my style at all. I always loved the look of smaller wheels on older model vw's and early Japanese cars, I sold the borbets to my buddy Kolben for his mk3 which look great on his car. Now I knew I want something simple and clean as well as monoblocks. I looked around and then one day saw this picture.

I always loved the Fat Lace designed F Zero wheels since they came out. I decide why not try something different so I went for it.
AME/FATLace F-Zero2's
15x8.5 et25
15x9.5 et 25

I then picked up a set Toyo T1R's in 195/45 R15 for the wheels. They are one of my favorite tires look and performance wise.
I went to try to mount them and basically started a world war in the shop against the rears. The fronts seated fine with the help of the cheetah but the rears were not about it. Due the barrel design of the wheel it basically made it impossible to mount a smaller width tire due to the double drop center barrel design. I tried so many methods and nothing worked after 4 days of trying. I basically said it was not worthy that much trouble. I sold the two 9.5's so I could buy two more 8.5's and got the tires mounted on them the day after I got them in the mail.

I Also decided the inside of the car needed some changes so I pulled all the interior out of the back and removed the front seat.

I then made an order from the Guys at TF Works. Their in house seats and omp side mounts with planets brackets.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now it was time for engine work..

On a trip to NY I stopped by a friends shop and picked up a ton of parts I had him collect for the car.

-Autotech 270 cam.
-TT Adjustable cam gear.
-TT heavy duty dual valve springs.
-TT Ti spring retainers.
-TT 276 cam chip.
-TT PVC block off
-TT 160 thermostat
-new em hydro lifters
-oem water pump housing.
-oem water pump with metal blades.
-oem thermostat housing.
-oem head gasket kit.
-timing belt.
-upper coolant flange.
-oem mk1 diesel metal radiator with filler neck.
-new radiator hoses.
-oem mk4 intake swap from a 2004 car.

by gtikole gtikole, on Flickr

Since I had all the part I figured I should get the head taken apart.

I then sent the head off to the machine shop so they could clean the head up and get the new valve springs and retainers in since I do not have a over head spring compressor. in the down time I painted a good amount of the engine parts.

I got head back from the machine shop and looked brand new. I got it home and reinstalled everything and trying to fire it. I seemed super off like it had no compression or anything. Well that because it could not build compression. TT by mistake sent me 8mm retainers instead of 7mm which may not sound like anything but it was enough that it let the valve hang lower than normal and not seal up at all. So I pulled everything off again and took the head back to the shop. TT sent me new retainers and the shop swapped them for free since they missed it the first time. I was just happy to find the issue I was having.

I then started to reassemble the car and change all gasket I could reach. I also relocated the battery and finished up the wiring of the car.

I then relocated the battery to the rear passenger seat, finished up the wiring, put the cooling system in and make my own intake out of a 3" pipe a friend had at his shop and couplers from a local tuning shop.

I woke on a Saturday with a goal to make it to a local meet that night so I pushed the car outside and got things done. I went to start the car and there was weird idle and it seemed off. The MAF went bad. So I ran to the junkyard and picked one up.

I drove the car for 15 mins close to my home to see how it ran. Seemed a bit off but maybe it just need to be driven. I get it back to house to check everything and lock up the house when the car just died. It would not start up at all now. I checked a few things and found I had no spark coming from the coil at all. I checked the coil with a multimeter and it was good. So I picked up a new crank and knock sensors. Still no go. 4 days into this and I figured it was time to test for continuity between the wires so I could see if it was wiring or the ecu. about 15 minutes into checking, I go the signal wire for the coil. Checked continuity and it showed there was a break in the system. cut the loom by the connector sober 5" down and found the break about 3" down from the connector. 10 mins later the wire was fixed and reloomed. car fired right up. at this point I was so happy my car was running again.

That gets us caught up to the present day. A lot is still to come for this guy.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Small updated. I drove the car for most of the day today as shake down. only problem it gave me was running out of gas since the gas gauge does not currently work. Also did a little work at the shop after work. The exhaust was loose by the muffler and it kept rotating down which meant I hit it on everything. So that had to be fixed. Also just cleaned up the bay a bit as well.

Also worked on the daily a bit this week as well. It was much needed for sure.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Small update.
I went out to the garage this morning and got the hood on and the hood latches/ release all setup properly again. Also just threw a filter I had laying around on until I can find one that I really like.

The whole squad together.

Here is also a video of the corrado just idling before a little drive.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking good .. I guess u decided not to shave the bay huh.. good idea bro cuz u would of been there forever lol.. nice build tho .. hope 2 see more upgrades !:thumbup:
Maybe next winter. The shop I work at was so busy at the time I just gave up on the idea of shaving it. I personally love the look of it now just wire tucked and simplified a ton.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so small not so fun update...
I drove the car to both jobs and around yesterday since it was such a nice day out. It gave me no issues and was pulling really hard and just being a blast.

I went to get some food on the way home. Of course the link took forever and sat there for 10-15mins. Started to notice the car was getting hot so I went to shut it off and BAM! Heater core broke and threw hot coolant on my right ankle giving me a pretty good burn and all over the center console and floor boards. Pushed the car home, I was only 2 blocks away. Got home and got the shop vac and tried to clean everything out the best I could and dry off everything. Went ahead and pulled the dash and heater box from the car.

For now the heater is staying out of the car So i can trace some smaller wiring issues and get the cooling system beater figured out up front. I bypassed the heater core, put fresh coolant in and started the engine. It sounds fine so that is plus but after all this I now have a throttle that seems to get stuck wide open. No idea why.

Hopefully have the car back together for saturday so I can drive and test more minus the heater box.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
great build thread.

save all the rain trays.
Thanks man! Just spent some time reading through your build. Great work. :thumbup:

Found a few pictures of driving around hours before the heater core melt down from a local guy.

Going to spend sometime on the car tomorrow and hopefully get it back together so I can drive this weekend.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I liked it with the Borbet's and how you had the ride height set. The front tucking looked tight.:thumbup:
I like how they sat for sure but the wheel style was just not my taste. I'll be working on getting the 15's up front to fit the same. just have to wait on tie-rod flip, ball joint extenders and a frame notch. :cool:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
that bay looks good kole. still wish i lived in indiana. id come crack a few beers and help out. corrado with an aba has to be the most reliable thing in the world....:laugh:
Got jokes I see :laugh: it's still a Corrado it will find it's ways of being a jerk as you will see.. but always down for garage hangs. I just bring Mexican coke instead of beer and I'm set.

Well a little update.
I got the car all back together Friday night, minus the heater box haha.
went for a drive and the car seemed like it was doing great. Stopped at a gas station to get a drink and head home. left the gas station and got the stop light and Bam! car shut off out of nowhere and would not start again. This was around 10:30pm. For the next 4 hours I spent working to try to find the issue with a police officer who was nice enough to stop, help and take me to my house to get the wagon and tools, Some homeless people that would walk by. Finally my buddy came with his jetta and a chain and we towed the car as sketchy as possible for 1 mile back to my house.

Started trying to trace the car and found I once again had no spark. ran through all the normal things but that found nothing. Replaced the fuse panel with a mk3 panel and that fixed some cluster issues I was having but nothing on the no spark issue. Took a break from the car for a few days. Also my foot is starting to look not so nice haha

Then this morning the wagon and a pothole became friends...

Side wall got a nice hole in it but I lucky found another brand new matching tire locally and had my buddy mount the tire for me. I went ahead and swapped the wheel out for the spare that was not to happy on the car at it's current height.

I also decided that it was time to start over with the harness and ecu of the car since no one could seem to think what else was wrong with the car to make it not have spark. So I talked with Matt at EuroKraft would said he would build me a engine harness I just have to spend him mine so he knows what measurements he needed. So I went ahead and ripped the car apart get to get the harness out.

I also went ahead and simplified my lighting harness since I already made myself a new headlight harness since the headlights were acting up so much. I also am going to make this access hole larger so there is not some much stress on the wires.

Well that is all for now. I have the harness all boxed up and ready to be shipped out tomorrow so Matt can get started on it.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Small little update.
Matt (chainnoise) from Eurokraft got a hold of me yesterday and sent me some photos. Looking like my harness will be finished up and sent out this week. :D
Matt found that the alternator has not been wired correctly since I bought the car and got everything to get that fixed. All I can say is Eurokraft & Matt have amazing customer service.
Can't waiting to get the car back on the road.

I will say it has been nice to take a small break from the car and just focus on riding/ traveling with friends and taking care of home things.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Small update.
My dad stopped by the house today so I could replace the rear strut mount on his e36, which was totally ripped in half, & swapped his winter wheel set up out for his summer set up.

I also figured since my new engine harness shows up tomorrow I would get the somethings done so hopefully I can get the new harness in and fire the car up (hopefully). I went ahead and drilled another access hole to take some stress off the wiring since before everything was coming out of one hole and was a really tight fit. Decided to run the starter wire, headlight harness & fan wiring through one hole. The other hole will be for the engine harness and turn signal wiring. Also replaced the zip ties that was holding the harness before with hold downs just to make sure the wiring stays away from tire.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.