VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 700 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i posted this video awhile back

http://s809.beta.photobucket.com/user/vrsick13/media/VID_20120330_125425.mp4.html

and i got mixed reviews saying it was spooling late. Well i took this video to show you the spool of a gtx2867r in 4th gear

http://s809.beta.photobucket.com/user/vrsick13/media/spool.mp4.html

I love this turbo, it is responsive with a lot of torque. i can spin 4th with ease if the car is cold.. I had a GT3071r on before this GTX2867r and i would take the 2867r anyday.

What do you think?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also have a boost leak. I have my W/M hose right before the TB and the bung that the hose is in is plastic. I have a hole cut out in my stock TB hose and the bung goes in there. Well the boost pressure is so high it tends to leak out of that area. What could i do to fix that problem?

·
Registered
22,600 Posts
i love the gtx3071..it hits 20+psi at 4 k if you have solid timing,etc..but it is waaayyy more turbo than a 3076.

couple buddies went BT and i told them to go gtx2867/71. they are singing the same praise. awesome spool, huge torqueband like a 3071 and plenty of power.

the gtx line REALLY shines at 30+psi migh ti add.:beer::beer:

·
Registered
22,600 Posts

the gt3071(blue) has more topend, but with a billet wheel makes even more power and better spool. but yes, the gtx2867 is pretty rad.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Honestly I dont find the GTX2867R that impressive. Its almost like a GT3071R.
But if you like it, that's great and that's what counts.
i love the gtx3071..it hits 20+psi at 4 k if you have solid timing,etc..but it is waaayyy more turbo than a 3076r
GTX3071R 30psi @ 4200 RPM's here with stock head and displacement :cool:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honestly I dont find the GTX2867R that impressive. Its almost like a GT3071R.
But if you like it, that's great and that's what counts.

GTX3071R 30psi @ 4200 RPM's here with stock head and displacement :cool:

So, what exacally is it that you dont like about the 2867r? Im almost posative you have never been in a car with one, and if you see my first video the car is effin fast. That is with me shifting slow and at 6500rpm. This turbo blows the 3071r out of the water, the 71 might flow alittle more up top, but the 2867r is twice as fast as my 3071r was. The early onset of torque with the 2867r doesnt even compare to the 3071r. I will go on a limb here and say the 2867r is the perfect turbo for the 1.8t

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I'm not saying I don't like it. I'm just saying that the spool is not that impressive.
I've been in all types of cars and setups and the few people I trust (read: tuners that I personally know and trust) concur with me that its not as impressive as people make it out to be.

Like I said: if you like it, great for you man. Go have some fun :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I will go on a limb here and say the 2867r is the perfect turbo for the 1.8t
Perfect for what? Autocross, drag, DD?
Not everyone is looking for the same thing. There is no such thing as 'perfect' because different people have different needs.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Perfect for what? Autocross, drag, DD?Not everyone is looking for the same thing. There is no such thing as 'perfect' because different people have different needs.
I think he means perfect street turbo/daily driver. I just upgraded from the GT28R at 1.8L to GTX2867R at 2.1L (ALH crank). The GTX2867R will obviously spool a little sooner on my setup (116% per 1000 RPMs) as compared to OP. This combination spools about the same as the GT28R at 1.8L, but is a little flatter from 3000 to 3500 RPMs. At that RPM range, the GT28R is usually losing traction in 2nd gear (and sometimes 3rd gear) but flattens out after 5000 RPMs. Whereas the GTX2867R continues to pull strong through that RPM range all the way to redline.

Looking at the compressor map, the GTX2867R has a wider RPM band as compared to the GT3071R (especially above P2/P1=2.5 about 22 psi). Notice how top, left section of the GT3071R above P2/P1=2.5 is cut off. At P2/P1=2.5, the GTX2867R has about a 4200 RPM band as compared to 3800 RPMs for the GT3071R. Above this point, the difference in RPM band is even greater.

With the GTX2867R, you gain about 400 RPMs over the GT3071R in the lower RPM range according to the compressor maps (i.e.: spools 400 RPMs sooner above P2/P1=2.5). You would have to rev. the GT3071R past 7500 RPMs to have any advantage over the GTX2867R at stock displacement. However, you only gain about 15 HP max.

I am currently running my setup at low boost (probably below 20 psi... I don't have boost gauge) due to the fact that I have serious knock issues with MBC turned up. I plan on running some combination of either ethanol or methanol and gas in the future. In the meantime, I ordered Torco Accelerator to play around with higher boost.

Has anyone used Torco Accelerator? I heard it works as advertised.

http://torcoracefuel.net/pro-accelerator.html

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
i love the gtx3071..it hits 20+psi at 4 k if you have solid timing,etc..but it is waaayyy more turbo than a 3076.

couple buddies went BT and i told them to go gtx2867/71. they are singing the same praise. awesome spool, huge torqueband like a 3071 and plenty of power.

the gtx line REALLY shines at 30+psi migh ti add.:beer::beer:
You got that right! Better spool up, a lot more up top (GTX3071R is in red).

EDIT: The GTX3071R shoud definately obsolete the GT30R (GT3076R) sorry to say:(

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I am currently running my setup at low boost (probably below 20 psi... I don't have boost gauge) due to the fact that I have serious knock issues with MBC turned up. I plan on running some combination of either ethanol or methanol and gas in the future. In the meantime, I ordered Torco Accelerator to play around with higher boost.

Has anyone used Torco Accelerator? I heard it works as advertised.

http://torcoracefuel.net/pro-accelerator.html
The leaded version works as advertised. The unleaded one, not so much.
I wouldn't be getting race gas just because you are having knock issues, though.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
The leaded version works as advertised. The unleaded one, not so much.
I wouldn't be getting race gas just because you are having knock issues, though.
What's the best way to resolve? I have Unitronics 630cc (not MAFless). I turned down the MBC which keeps things in check. Is there any way to run higher boost in my application without having to turn MBC down?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thanks for the info on the GTX 2867. I’m playing with some ideas for the future that may involve a GTX2867, or a HTA2868/71, or a PPT 71 billet wheel. This feedback is helpful.

Are you experiencing real knock or just timing pull? My guess is that with the better compressor performance in your mid-range, the basic Uni tune with a MBC isn’t going to cut it. I suspect you need to do a lot of logging/tweeking to find the sweet spot in the middle of the fuel, timing and boost curves. Maestro may be where you have to go to get there.

Also your boost leak is part of the problem. Gotta be fixed or you’ll be chasing your tail.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Thanks for the info on the GTX 2867. I’m playing with some ideas for the future that may involve a GTX2867, or a HTA2868/71, or a PPG 71 billet wheel.
PPT's 71 billet wheel is great:

22psi:

·
Registered
12,573 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You still have to keep in mind that that i have a boost leak which is affecting spool. Which brings me to this question. Does anybody have an idea how i can fix the earlier explained boost leak i have. where does everyone else mount their W/M nossle?

1 - 20 of 700 Posts