VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been busy making carbon trim for my coupe, as nothing is available. I may consider making a few one-off customs if anyone is interested. They are factory fit pieces, and the finish is top-quality. Hand-laid 3k twill, wet-sanded and polished between every coat of laminate, then coated with 2pk urethane clear. These are the rear wheel spats for 85 coupe, and inside mirror covers for big door mk2. Just wondering who is interested. This is not an offer of production, but a feeler. I'm in the process of covering a set of Jetta 2 euro bumpers in full carbon with shaved turn signals...mmm Let me know what you would like to see produced..

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'd like to see some stuff. Maybe a dash? It might be a little much though.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What would really help would be what you would like to see, and what you would like to pay for the pieces. I am trying to guage if it is worth it or not for me to produce in limited quantities.A door panel is insane to produce in show quality laminate like this. Producing carbon pieces like this is very time consuming to get to show quality. A gas door would take considerable time inside and out. Liking to see it done is one thing, paying for it is another.

I will be making a carbon Corrado dash shell for my caddy, as it needs modifying for a proper fit anyways...I am not going to produce parts for people to just look at!

·
Registered
7,731 Posts
asking the poortex what they would pay isn't in your wallets best interest lol.

generally a mint set of the inner mirror covers go for $20-30 in like new condition so I highly doubt that anything over $40 for carbon fiber inner mirrors would net in sale.

I know a lot of folks fell in love with one car in the "Baller, Hellaflush" thread which had thick sidetrim, rear stone gaurds (spats), and small bumpers done in carbon. But people actually putting down coin for a product with as much work as carbon fiber takes is rare.

I'm sure that there was close to 4hrs worth of work into those pieces. You'd do well to do more of consignment/contract work for any carbon fiber work you do.

·
Registered
11,823 Posts
since you're doing jetta euro bumps, how about doing a set of golf euro's?
what kind of prices are we really talking here? Is there any benefit to doing multiple sets of things..or really just more of a one off thing?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is really interesting, I really appreciate the feedback guys.

It definately seems like a "top 5%" deal for mods like this..show quality only.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I'd honestly like a full set of flares, skirts and door moulding for a 16v (g60 flares).

Maybe I can at least get a quote from you for a one off set.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
check it
http://www.performance-trim.com/search.php?category_id=48
quote a few carbon products for comparison. I think prices are in pounds or euros..even with the dollar signs, but can't confirm as I haven't contacted them.
I'm quite sure that it shows the correct price in $. When i enter the site it shows the prices in SEK (swedish)
So it seems like it's automatically converted to your currency.

They have some awesome stuff :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great feedback guys. The carbon pieces in the website are fantastic, and I had no idea they were available. It is such a niche mod, I will produce some extras here and there for sale, but definately won't be going to market with orders. The rear spats alone are about 7 hours to produce. It is true, they will price themselves out of existance! I think I will just make the pieces for my own car at this time.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great feedback guys. The carbon pieces in the website are fantastic, and I had no idea they were available. It is such a niche mod, I will produce some extras here and there for sale, but definately won't be going to market with orders. The rear spats alone are about 7 hours to produce. It is true, they will price themselves out of existance! I think I will just make the pieces for my own car at this time.
Holy crap! Looks like more than a few are interested!? I have answered all pm's to the best of my ability. As I said before, I will do some additional "pops" of pieces, pm me what you are looking for and I'll see what I can do..

·
Registered
22,511 Posts
If I knew how to do this work, I'd have sooooo many bits n pieces done. Love it! Keep up the good work man. The market for our cars is sooo small, and while cool that it is like that, at times I wish it wasn't this way, as the availability for stuff like this would be better. I my self would like to have a CF hood. I think a CF OEM, Kamei style BB chin spoiler or create something would be dope. Brake ducts for BB's, side mirrors, rear spoiler. Sooo many possibilities, granted the skills are there.

·
Registered
2013 Golf R, 2013 X5 35D, 1997 E320
21,191 Posts
If I knew how to do this work, I'd have sooooo many bits n pieces done. Love it! Keep up the good work man. The market for our cars is sooo small, and while cool that it is like that, at times I wish it wasn't this way, as the availability for stuff like this would be better. I my self would like to have a CF hood. I think a CF OEM, Kamei style BB chin spoiler or create something would be dope. Brake ducts for BB's, side mirrors, rear spoiler. Sooo many possibilities, granted the skills are there.
There are definitely things I'd like to get done as well. Hood, hatch, sunroof panel... Maybe a few other bits.

·
Registered
24,968 Posts
I looked into this awhile ago. It's actually easier to make the small parts. It just takes alot of time & patience.

There was a guy here that was making interior bits. He used one of those vacuum bag machines & some plaster of paris. He just made negatives of something and started to layer the CF with some resin. There were a few more steps in between that but you get the idea.

@ OP,
You should make a limited run of a few pieces to gauge interest. Asking people before hand is a waste of time. We all would love a few things but when it comes to buying, its a different story. Make like 5 sets of inner door triangle & a few door pull inserts...things like that and see what happens. On the other side of the coin, there are 100 people coming here gauging interest on an idea they got and 95% of the time, it never comes to be. We tend to get skeptical with threads like this. Just make it happen and throw 'em in the classy's.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts