VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Vendor
mk8 GTI 6MT, 997.1 6MT
9,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, my 2022 GTI SE 6MT was minding its own business parked in my driveway when out of no where, a 2003 Acura MDX came barrelling down the wrong side of the road, veered off the road far enough to hit my mailbox, and took out a couple township signs (25MPH an WATCH CHILDREN). Thankfully no children were outside needing to be watched at the time, but the mailbox post shattered into several pieces and apparently smacked into my headlight and hood. The MDX was insured and the owner's insurance company has been good to deal with so far, approving a Jetta rental and my choice of the local VW dealer's in house body shop. Here's some pix and feel free to guess the repair estimate so far. Caveat: the body shop and adjuster haven't removed the headlamp yet to see if there's any bumper damage so it could get pricier. My mailbox got significant airtime but I don't think it touched the car.

Plant Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate

Vehicle Plant Car Tire Wheel

Vehicle Car Land vehicle Wheel Tire
Automotive parking light Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Vendor
mk8 GTI 6MT, 997.1 6MT
9,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clearly the only proper way to get this back on the road is to replace the bumper with a full Clubsport front end.
With Euro-only full matrix LED headlamps with red stripes on both sides? I like where this is going. :unsure:

Did they at least stop for the stop sign/end of road?
The MDX stopped most of the way across the T-junction, within inches of being hit by a Volvo XC40 that either did a great job with automatic emergency braking or had a really attentive driver or both.

That's some crazy stuff right there. I assume they were on their phone?
Unfortunately, the camera didn't pick up that but I would guess so? The cops gave the driver a field sobriety test which he apparently passed since he didn't go home in the back of a cruiser.

·
Vendor
mk8 GTI 6MT, 997.1 6MT
9,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh dude.. sorry to see that. Is the core support cracked up at all? Biggest issue is going to be getting parts/sensors given supply chain issues.
AFAIK, the core support isn't damaged. I did give the radiator a solid wiggle after opening the hood to make sure it wasn't dislodged ... solid as ever and all my zip ties still intact. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2009 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited
3,570 Posts
I'm thinking somewhere in the $5-6k range. Like everyone else has already said, the wait for parts might be horrendous. Good luck with everything, keep us all posted.

Reactions: col.mustard
1 - 20 of 93 Posts