VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
90 VW Corrado, 96 BMW 318ti, 03 VW GTI 20th, 21 Jeep Gladiator, 21 Jeep Wrangler
7,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be a little different then the usual fender bender, vehicle fix threads as it's already complete. I've found that there sometimes isn't closure to those threads so I'll wrap this one up all together after a day or two.

Back story. My wife and I went to Easter Jeep last April with both of our Jeeps (her Wrangler and my Gladiator). On one of the days we went out to help Tread Lightly with a project to help protect some petroglyphs so we only took the Gladiator down there since it was mainly dirt roads. Well, I goofed and while trying to keep out of the way of a passing vehicle I bumped and scrapped the driver side rear corner of the truck bed. Boooo.

Anyway, here is the damage. I removed the tail light to get these pictures. The light is working just fine and wasn't replaced but you can see the tail light bucket is slightly damaged. What do you think this cost to get fixed? We'll go Price is Right rules and the closest gets a free internet 🍕. Bonus points for how long you think it took.

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive design

Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Grille

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Fix it right, or make it look right?

A full fix is to probably replace the whole box on the back. Not cheap. Weld it maybe. Don't think there's skins for these. $15k+

Make it look fine, Yeah bang that skit in, body filler and sand smooth and paint. $2.5k + cost of tailight and rentals.

·
Registered
90 VW Corrado, 96 BMW 318ti, 03 VW GTI 20th, 21 Jeep Gladiator, 21 Jeep Wrangler
7,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fix it right, or make it look right?

A full fix is to probably replace the whole box on the back. Not cheap. Weld it maybe. Don't think there's skins for these. $15k+

Make it look fine, Yeah bang that skit in, body filler and sand smooth and paint. $2.5k + cost of tailight and rentals.
They replaced the bed side with one from Jeep. Also, the tail light wasn't broken but was removed to show the damage better.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Looks like you can buy an entire bed here for $3,600.

I'd guess a smidge under 2k and a week once it's in the shop. Given the shop opts to repair the existing panel instead of trying to find a replacement.

Edit: Swing and a miss

·
Registered
527 Posts
It’s pretty rare to replace an entire box for collision damage; there are individual parts and even large subassemblies which can be replaced. A collision severe enough to destroy the entire box also usually takes out the frame, which is expensive enough to total most trucks that are more than a few years old.

The last truck I can remember putting a complete box on wasn’t for collision damage, it was because a fuel can spilled and caught fire inside the bed.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Well, you've got torn metal there. Depends, I guess, on if you're going to bondo it, or if a new piece can be welded in or fit in there. I just went through a very minor thing hitting debris on the highway, it just involved replacing plastic and THAT was over $4000. So, I'll guess $7000, being a Jeep gladiator and all. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts