909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for fun, who do you think they will be? Here are my guesses in order:
1. Isuzu
2. Mitsubishi
3. Suzuki

G

·
Re: Guess: The next 3 car makers to leave the US market... (lobo)

Aroo? Suzuki sales are WAY up now that it's a full-line automaker thanks to rebadged Daewoos. Plus, it has more cars and a new pair of SUVs on the way.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Re: Guess: The next 3 car makers to leave the US market... (bgluckman)

I havent seen an Isuzu on the road in a long time...
rule #1

·
Registered
1,054 Posts

I'm thinking
1) Mitsubishi
2) Kia, kill the line or re-brand to Hyundai
3) ????

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Re: Guess: The next 3 car makers to leave the US market... (alman)

Quote, originally posted by alman »
I'm thinkin
2) Kia, kill the line or re-brand to Hyundai

Where I live, I see tons of Kias. I'm not sure if they make alot of money off them, but they are everywhere.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Re: Guess: The next 3 car makers to leave the US market... (Brett92)

I can't see any maker leaving the US. Maybe going out of business or being bought out, but those that seem to be failing in the US seem to be failing as a whole and I'm not sure just pulling out would solve the problem.

G

·
Re: Guess: The next 3 car makers to leave the US market... (alman)

Quote, originally posted by alman »
Kia, kill the line or re-brand to Hyundai

Right...because Kia, who outsells VW and just announced that they'll looking into building a truck factory in the US, is doing so badly...

Honestly, Isuzu is definitely gone from the US, and Mitsubishi might leave if the main company itself can't pull out of its death spiral. Beyond that, there are no other brands sold in the US in such serious trouble that there's any reason to think they'd leave.

·
Registered
481 Posts

I can't see any auto maker leaving the US market its just too big for them to pack up altogether except for Isuzu but that seems to be leaving the world market. Maybe Mitsu if it goes bankrupt.
Many manufacturers are preparing to make the break back into the US.

·
Banned
4,566 Posts
Re: Guess: The next 3 car makers to leave the US market... (ALWAYS_LEAD)

Isuzu sells a LOT of commercial vehicles in the US. I doubt they'd pull the plug on that.

G

·
Re: Guess: The next 3 car makers to leave the US market... (PackRat)

Quote, originally posted by PackRat »
Isuzu sells a LOT of commercial vehicles in the US. I doubt they'd pull the plug on that.

Isuzu will continue to sell commercial vehicles. That said, it's consumer line will definitely dissappear soon.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Re: Guess: The next 3 car makers to leave the US market... (bgluckman)

I think the Koreans are only getting better. Along with Suzuki. Remember, Suzuki is not competing with Honda and Toyota. They may in the future, but not now. I would say unless Mitsu gets some serious turnaround, a la Gohsen (sp?) style, they are done. Next is probably Isuzu.

·
Registered
2006 Lexus GS300, 2011 Nissan Leaf
36,950 Posts
I hate to say this because I like and have owned many VW's, but:
We're not talking right away, but if VW keeps stumbling I could definitely see them being in a situation that would make them likely to pull out, just as they almost did in the early 90's. Other than that, if the plan to replace all of Saturn's line with Opels doesn't come to fruition then they could be next. If Mitsu doesn't turn it around (which I think they will) I think they'd probably still make cars, but for other companies. Heck, I remember a time when Subaru almost left and look at them now, so anything is possible. It's a shame what GM did to a recognizable SUV brand with Isuzu, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they packed up their tent and went home. And given five or six years, we'll see if Scion is still around or if it will be absorbed back into Toyota.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Re: Guess: The next 3 car makers to leave the US market... (Patrick Arena)

i don't think they will leave the u.s., but i can see dodge getting out of or slimming down the car market with all the turmoil thats going on with mitsubishi right now and just stick to selling trucks, leaving cars to chrysler. to me, it would make sense, as they will still be able to sell the same number of cars to fleet companies, but now only under one brand name. not to mention that you see a lot of dodge, chrylser, jeep stores under one roof.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Re: Guess: The next 3 car makers to leave the US market... (blackmirrorVR6)

Quote, originally posted by blackmirrorVR6 »
I think the Koreans are only getting better. Along with Suzuki. Remember, Suzuki is not competing with Honda and Toyota. They may in the future, but not now. I would say unless Mitsu gets some serious turnaround, a la Gohsen (sp?) style, they are done. Next is probably Isuzu.

i agree, the korean car companies are going nuts. i think they are offering some really great bang for the buck deals on the different lines. the kia amanti and sorrento really caught my eye when i first saw them on the road.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts

Izuzu and Mitsubishi are imminent... hard to pick a third at this time...

·
Registered
24,098 Posts
Re: Guess: The next 3 car makers to leave the US market... (Lumbergh)

Mercury?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Re: Guess: The next 3 car makers to leave the US market... (cougar)

I doubt Mercury will go anywhere. It can limp along with it's geriatric clients until Ford gets wise.
While probably unrealistic, but not impossible, Saturn could be a good candidate for the death pool. It's problems run pretty deep. Unless GM retools them to produce Opel models stateside, there isn't a lot happening here.

·
Registered
20,861 Posts

mitsubishi motors just sunk $4.4 billion into the automotive line, so there's a huge vested interest right now. i highly doubt mitsubishi's going anywhere.
i could possibly see mercury going the way of plymouth, but it's unlikely.

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Re: Guess: The next 3 car makers to leave the US market... (kitty)

The Mercury brand is already gone from Canada. The Marauder gave them a short reprieve, but that's all. They'll probably stumble along in the US, though.
Isuzu has only sold trucks for years. Very few sell here. Product looks out-of-date, don't see that changing. They could disappear.
Mitsu is in trouble worldwide but it's a large company and they have some decent product. I think they'll survive, they just won't sell as many as they had hoped. Shaky, though.
Kia isn't going anywhere but up. They're owned by Hyundai, which is also going up.
Saturn is in the process of losing their identity, but I think GM will keep the brand around.
VW has dated product and has had quality issues (some very public), but new product is coming. It seems that management has finally "gotten the message", but whether anything can or will be done in time for the new product (or even whether "the system" is even capable of responding to the quality issues) is a good question. They'll survive.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts