VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda, Ducati
35,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of a gunsmith, machine shop, fab shop, etc. that has the capability of gun drilling solid steel 37" in length. This isn't for firearms use per se, but that seems to be where the vast majority of capable shops are.

Does anyone here know of a person, shop, company that can lend a hand in finding a place to do this?

37" length
0.75" hole
1.25" round stock

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
I am in need of a gunsmith, machine shop, fab shop, etc. that has the capability of gun drilling solid steel 37" in length. This isn't for firearms use per se, but that seems to be where the vast majority of capable shops are.

Does anyone here know of a person, shop, company that can lend a hand in finding a place to do this?

37" length
0.75" hole
1.25" round stock
Try looking for any custom shops around you, would suggest - https://accurateordnance.com/contact/

See if they know of anyone, or if they can offer the service. Trying to see if there are any barrel manufacturers around there, they may have a source for a one-off project.

·
35,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try looking for any custom shops around you, would suggest - https://accurateordnance.com/contact/

See if they know of anyone, or if they can offer the service. Trying to see if there are any barrel manufacturers around there, they may have a source for a one-off project.
I did just that about a week ago. They didn't have the bit to do 0.75" and referred me to another shop that said the same thing. I took my search nationwide and thus-far found three shops (mostly in California) that will do it.

·
Administrator
19,739 Posts
What kind of precision are you needing on the ID/OD/wall thickness?

Depending on what dimensions are critical, I think you might be able to get away with a section of 1" nominal SCH 160 pipe.

http://www.pipeflowcalculations.com/tables/schedule-160.php - row 3

OD: 1.32"
wall thickness: 0.25"
ID: 0.82"

·
Learning New Things Every Day.
'12 Earth F**ker '12 A4q '18 Q3
17,761 Posts

37" length
0.75" hole
1.25" round stock
are you making a sway bar? If so, have you tried Speedway?

If not, but it's automotive in nature, call up Joe at Joe's Racing Products. They might be able to help. https://www.joesracing.com/p-29447-who-we-are.html

·
35,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Adco is pretty much the go-to place for all sorts of gunsmithing... you might try them: https://adcofirearms.com/
Will do. Thank you.

What kind of precision are you needing on the ID/OD/wall thickness?
Those measurements are right on, but the torsional flex isn't the same.

are you making a sway bar? If so, have you tried Speedway?
The bar I'm starting with IS a Speedway bar. I am tuning it to this specific application.

·
17,761 Posts
The bar I'm starting with IS a Speedway bar. I am tuning it to this specific application.
What rate are you looking for?

I'm assuming you can't move the mounting point of the arms or the bar, being a street car, correct (rallyment?)? Because my interest is piqued, I assume you know what you're doing; a 1-1/4" bar is heavy, from my racing experience, for use on a street vehicle. We ran 1-1/8" mild 1-piece sway bars before the BBSS and bumpstop setups. Even after that, we usually ran 1-3/8" or 1-1/2" 3-piece. Some guys were running 1000# of bar, but their cars weren't the best.

·
35,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I assume you know what you're doing; a 1-1/4" bar is heavy
Yes, and Yes, I know. The standard 1.25" bar is very heavy with a rate that is stupid-high, which is why I am looking to remove the material.

·
17,761 Posts
Yes, and Yes, I know. The standard 1.25" bar is very heavy with a rate that is stupid-high, which is why I am looking to remove the material.
I'd call Joe Constance; he might even have a bar you're looking for in his race stuff.

·
17,761 Posts

·
35,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Contacted.

In the meantime, I've been in contact with an oil rig drilling machinist that said he'd doing it... in Galveston.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts