VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nice remus universal TD sitting in my house and I was wondering if The stock exhaust (just the can) can just be removed by loosening a clamp or will I be paying for someone to cut it off?
Thanks guys,
I haven't looked under there yet.
George

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Re: Guys is the stock exhaust on a MKIV a bolt/clamp-on or do I need to cut... (gjacob)

Cutting is not difficult. Get an exhaust pipe cutter for $20 from Sears and cut half way between the cat and axle. You should see three dimples on the pipe. Cut at the middle one.
You unbolt from the cat, but you need to cut the pipe to get it over the axle.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Re: Guys is the stock exhaust on a MKIV a bolt/clamp-on or do I need to cut... (JettaRed)

quote:[HR][/HR]Cutting is not difficult. Get an exhaust pipe cutter for $20 from Sears and cut half way between the cat and axle. You should see three dimples on the pipe. Cut at the middle one.
[HR][/HR]​
WAIT!
You don't cut at the middle dimple... i'm pretty sure that is 5-spd transmissions only... i'm not sure why it matters but IIRC there is a different dimple you have to cut for an automatic.. I can check my bentley tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Re: Guys is the stock exhaust on a MKIV a bolt/clamp-on or do I need to cut... (gjacob)

George... since you won't be putting the universal on yourself just get the people installing it to cut off your old exhaust... they shouldn't charge you anything, it's a simple cut.
And you probably don't want to be driving to the shop with no exhaust...

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

THanks guys.

Nate, I have a friend who is pretty handy with this stuff and he helped me lower my car about 8 months ago... so I was hoping that the can was clamp on too.

THanks guys,
George

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

a while later....
she's all installed and sounding sweet. THanks to everyone.
Yup she was cut first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts