VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of a set of wheels and tires for the track. These are for sale locally, and I'm real tempted but need to know if they will fit on my 337?
Seller states ... "I am selling 5 Avus Rims. They are OEM Audi with an offset of 45. One rim is bent and the other 4 have mild curb rash. I have 4 center caps that will be sold with the wheels. I have Brand new, under 1000 miles, Kuhmo 712 225-45-17 tires mounted on the rims but can be removed if you would like."
I have no need for the 5th bent rim, but am thinking would make a neat coffee table for my rec room

· Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Guys ... Will this wheel work on my 337? Offset is 45 (blackmagic592)

Quote, originally posted by blackmagic592 »
i believe u might need adapters...just find out if they are 5x100 or 5x112

Thanks, on it now

· Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Guys ... Will this wheel work on my 337? Offset is 45 (dcomiskey)

Quote, originally posted by dcomiskey »
Why would you buy those for track use? I think they're heavier than your OEM wheels.

Because I'm getting tired of looking / guessing what will fit, and I haven't had any solid input yet as to what wheel to use
Lots of guys can input on wheels in general, but as far as a wheel for the track I need to know
a) is the spacing offset an advantageous / disadventageous (is that a word?)
b) will it fit wheel well and clear calipers w/out spacers?
c) weight
I'm not going hard core track use, so I'm not interested in a small diameter / wide rubber set up, just something 17" to bolt on for driver schools
But overall, you're right, I'm getting lazy and hoping to find someone who can recommend a solution with authority

· Registered
763 Posts
Re: Guys ... Will this wheel work on my 337? Offset is 45 (0106)

You want something lighter preferably for the track. Although offset is not as important as weight since we are not talking about adding inches of track, offset also means nothing without wheel width. Find out what the wheel width is and then knowing the offset you can find out what the track width is of your set up.

· Banned
9,984 Posts
Re: Guys ... Will this wheel work on my 337? Offset is 45 (ElevatedGaze)

Quote, originally posted by ElevatedGaze »
How about these?
http://edgeracing.com/wheel/151/
5X100 35mm offset 17x8
Light, cheap, nice looking wheel.

Took the words right out of my mouth! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
14,449 Posts
Re: Guys ... Will this wheel work on my 337? Offset is 45 (OEMPlus)

Or ahead over to TireRack. Get some 17x8 super lightweight wheels for cheap. I'm thinking Fox or OZ. Their little configurator tool shows you every wheel that will fit.

· Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Guys ... Will this wheel work on my 337? Offset is 45 (dcomiskey)

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate
Do you two guys use those wheels from Edge?
Also, D-Comiskey ... on tirerack ... when the configurator thingie says they will fit, is that fit without spacers / adapters?

· Registered
14,449 Posts
Re: Guys ... Will this wheel work on my 337? Offset is 45 (0106)

Quote, originally posted by 0106 »

Also, D-Comiskey ... on tirerack ... when the configurator thingie says they will fit, is that fit without spacers / adapters?

I believe so. They assume you're not using them. If you have any questions about a wheel, I know they're VERY responsive if you call them up.

· Registered
5,396 Posts
Re: Guys ... Will this wheel work on my 337? Offset is 45 (MK4 turbo)

45ET is too high. Most Audi wheels including the ones shown are 5x112. And real adapters are at least 20mm thick, which would make the Avus wheels a 25ET which also wouldn't work.
Edge is a good company with cheap light wheels. Those would be a much better choice than the Audi rims

· Registered
80 Caddy, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
25,239 Posts
Re: (kidshorty)

It doesn't hurt to pick up the phone and actually call tire rack either...
Sometimes actual people can give you better info than the computerized store-front. In my experience they have always been knowledgable about what would work.
Good luck. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
5,396 Posts
Re: (kidshorty)

Quote, originally posted by kidshorty »
an offset of 25 would work, may look slightly wide. You need a minimum of et37 to clear 337 brakes. Even with smaller brakes, 45 will rub. I have those same wheels in et45 5x100 and run an 8mm spacer to clear-

While on this wheel those ET's are relavant...
ET in general has almost no relationship to brake clearance. You can find two wheels the same ET and one set will clear and the other wont. Because ET does not take into account spoke and center detail/design.
And 25ET on these wheels will give you poke in the front, they would look nice in the back with that ET however

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.