VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone converted their air sucker to a water pumper?
i once saw a ghia with an 89 vanagon engine in it and want to see if anyone has done this or an engine from a golf or something else, what ever.
i just want to know what people have done so i can get ideas for my ghia's rebirth
pics please if you have em!!!!
thanks

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Re: h20 conversion??? (crack monkey)

I've seen a VR6 notchback...back seat was gone in order to accomodate the motor, but I bet it was quick. I can't imagine the time/money that must have taken though.
Katie

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Re: h20 conversion??? (Toothbrush Song)

someone on here had up pics of his watercoled bug project, it wasn't too long ago...
my friend had a 78 bus with a rabbit engine, i never got to see how it drove though.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts

I am the guy that had the pictures posted. I am putting a 2.0 full crossflow injection into a 64 bug. Since the pictures I have done some more work. I replaced the front apron w/ a louvered one. The reasoning is for the rad to be able to suck the air in. I also cut a big hole in the base of the spare tire well. I am making a scoop that will help direct air into the rad. I swiss cheesed the rear of the rear of the spare tire well for the hot air to escape. I also re-worked the rear apron, keeping the latch, to accept the belts and pulleys and also opened it up in case I need to pull the motor. Right now I am at a stand still due to two kids in daycare, need to find some side jobs to keep the project going. I am planning on running stainless lines under the car for the rad lines. Also bought 3/8 fuel line but have not had time to run it yet. Let me know if you need any help. Later

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Re: h20 conversion??? (Michael T Borelli)

i am pretty sure chenowath the dune buggy manufacture sell 2.0 cross flow conversions for your air cooled.......or atleat they used to 5 or 6 years ago ...take a few looks and build your own kit ....it shouldnt be to bad ...i am under the inpression that all vw 4cyls have the same bellhousing

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Re: h20 conversion??? (vw problems)

Actually you must buy or make an adapter plate to make the H2o motor mount to the aircooled trans. You also need to buy or machine the bug flywheel. KEP sells the plate & flywheel. It cost me $425 to my door. I probably could have machined one but it would have taken me forever to figure it out. I am cheap guy but sometimes it is better to pay for the real deal. Between the plate and motor I have $1000 invested in the drive train. Not bad considering that to machine and build an aircooled that puts out 115 hp would cost a lot more. Plus this will be very reliable. Later

·
Registered
389 Posts

Where did you get your adapter? KEP
I plan on building the cross member myself, but don't have time to machine an adaptor.
How thick is the adapter?
Yes all vw 4 cyl. are the same. I think the 2.0 crossflow would be the best vw engine in a bus since it has a nice torque curve but I would think any would work since they all have more power

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: h20 conversion??? (wabit)

i was thinking that i have a g60 corrado and with the mods that have already been done to the engine i push about 200hp. am selling the corrado but want to put a g60 set up on a 16v gti motor. then toss it into my ghia.
i wish it would be that simple.
what about the wiring with the crossflow do you have to run a newer computer?
thanks

·
Registered
3,733 Posts

I think a Ghia w/ a G60 would be awesome. You will have more then enough room in the rear for the motor and the front of the Ghia, the nose, would fit a rad nicely. I thought of putting a H20 into my 71 ghia but that car is finished and the bug was a project in the works. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
The guy with the bus: If you have an early bus you do not need a cross member. If you have a Vanagon, I guess you could make one. Just a note a fully dressed air cooled motor weighs 12 lbs more then a stripped water cooled motor.
Later

·
Registered
3,733 Posts

As far as the computer goes I am running the stock computer that came with the motor. The motor came w/all wiring and computer, uncut. I may chip it and cam before the final install.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts

Check out the "Perversion Conversion" forum on the Shoptalk Forums. Not trying to steal people from this fine forum, but there's a wealth of info there. Good luck!

112 Posts
Re: h20 conversion??? (Mikes72sb)

Why would you want to do that? For all the money and time it would take to convert your car you can build a killer air cooled engine that will blow away any water cooled.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Re: h20 conversion??? (white guy with a fly ride)

I beg to differ, after I am done w/ the drive train I may have $2000 into it all. And that will be pushing at least 135hp, once chipped and cammed, and it will be reliable. I have been building aircooled motors since I was about 18 and I have had my share of big motors and they just were not reliable enough for me. I am building this car as a daily driver and really want the ease of FI. Do not even suggest that CB performance crap FI I have a freind who bought it and was far from happy.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts

If you want big power and reliability, maybe you should look into the Type 4 engine. I know your already into the watercooled conversion, and i have no probem with that, but the T4 can be built to 2270cc's and be as reliable as a 1776 T1 engine. Im planning on doing this engine conversion once get the required cash. The T4 route is not cheap by a long shot, but as sold me on it's reliability and power. 160hp, accelerating uphill, and when coupled with the 901 5spd tranny sitting in the garage, some fast top speeds and good fuel economy. I guess this turned me on because its a way to get a powerful, reliable engine without resorting to plumbing. That's just my opinion.

·
Registered
11,823 Posts
Re: h20 conversion??? (Mikes72sb)

Someday I'm going to put a built 2.0 16v, in the back of a type 3, I think they lend themselves best h2o conversions, plenty of room for an engine,radiator hole under front bumper(stealth). Picture 175hp(at least) in the back of a sub 2000lb car with a built trans(you could build a tough aircooled trans for a g or under). Can you say hook up

That vr6 notch was sick http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Someday,when my money tree sprouts

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Re: h20 conversion??? (gtiordie)

Its pretty tough (and expensive) to make more than 175 crank HP from a 16V.
The easiest and cheapest engine to get max HP out of is a G60. $500 on a stage 4 kit (cam, smaller supercharger pulley, porsche FPR, chip, and a few other things) and you've got 200+ HP. The only downside is the Charger really likes to be rebuilt every few yrs ($$$)
The 1.8T would be the ultimate, but that gets alot more expensive, but well worth it to be making 250-350HP
Just my $0.02

·
Registered
11,823 Posts
Re: h20 conversion??? (N'Syncro)

Ah, but I already have the 16v
When I decide to put a g60 turbo conversion in my gti, then the 16v gets stuffed in a type 3

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: h20 conversion??? (gtiordie)

personaly i think that the ghia is the best for the conversion. at least to have some kind of apearance that it is stock from the future type of deal. in the type three, you will lose a trunk, but in the ghia, you lose nothing but hondas in your mirror. i think any conversion would rule.
michael, what are you doing about the rear deck lid? if i did it to a bug like you are, then i think that i would put on a pro mod wing and deck lid combo. do you have any pics yet?
that is my .03

1 - 20 of 33 Posts