VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I just received the package from DeAutoKey. I have to say they were quick in delivering the item and it arrived well packed. The full install took 45 mins, due to drilling hole for rubber grommet in dust cap for headlight. The rest of the install was fairly easy. The only thing I found was that I wish zip ties would have been provided for installation.
I know many of you will be spiteful installing HIDs in reflector housing. However DeAutoKey states this kit is meant for reflector housings and does not create the glare for on coming vehicles.
As it is still daytime here I can't comment on that however I will attach video and pictures from night driving as soon as they are captured.
Please keep posted to this thread as I will give step by step install instructions and a full review for this item once I can fully try them out.

So far everything is running well. And NO codes. Let me know if you have any questions.a

VIDEO OF H7RC IN ACTION*******

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RryPd0DgKfQ

****** REVIEW*******

So first I would like to thank DeAutoKey for providing us Jetta Owners with an alternative to using a more expensive projector housing!!
1) The package came well padded with packing peanuts, and arrived in excellent shape.
2) Everything needed for installation was included in the packaging ( other than a few zip ties to help tidy install)
3) Ease of installation was rated at an 8.5/10. Very Easy. You must drill hole in dust cap to furnish the wires going through. These are then sealed by rubber grommets which are on the wire harness.
4) The throw pattern of the light is very bright and efficient. No longer a need for me to install fog lights.
5) NO GLARE FOR ON-COMING TRAFFIC. I had my father drive in front of me and towards me at 45 MPH, and he said that he was not blinded at all by the lights and they did perform as stated by DeAutoKey.

****INSTALL****
PLEASE INSTALL AT YOUR OWN RISK. PLEASE KNOW HOW TO CHANGE OUT YOUR HEADLIGHT BLUBS. DO NOT ACCEPT RESPONSIBILTY IF YOU INSTALL THESE INCORRECTLY.
1) REMOVE old H7 bulbs. Please place these in a safe place, just incase you ever need to revert back to the halogen bulb.
*Please remove the single power wires from the grommet. you will pass these through after you have installed bulb and resecured grommet to dust cap.
2) You will need to thread ballast connection wires through the metal clip that help secure bulb to VW JETTA headlight housing
-This is a very tight fit through thte metal clip hole, so please take your time. NO NEED TO SHAVE INSIDE OF CLIP AS STATED BY SOME VIDEOS-
3) Secure bulb back into housing, and then take dust cap to drill hole into
4) You will need to drill a hole a little bit bigger than a nickel, to pass the ballast cable through and then will have to cover the hole with the grommet.
5) When connecting power wires to the original connector, there is no marking for + or -. So you must just take a gander. You can setich these if they do not work the first time.
6) test to make sure that the lights work before resecuring the dust cap and placing ballast to headlight housing.
** I followed USP motorsports youtube video for install, and it helped. You can just adapt from that and work.**
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-EWIipji4U
Here are some pictures:

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More pictures to come. Here is just a few for you to see

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
are these basically the fake HIDs that i see hondas and old jeeps with that and blinding me as i drive....but without the blinding part...?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are an hid bulb made for reflector housings.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
okay, so are they blinding to oncoming drivers? and do your high beams still work? and whats the cost? they look nice

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Just got them installed. Doing night test tonite. And will complete Review. Highs still work. Got them 2 days after I ordered them . Great customer service.

·
Vendor
23,162 Posts
are these basically the fake HIDs that i see hondas and old jeeps with that and blinding me as i drive....but without the blinding part...?
They are an hid bulb made for reflector housings.

okay, so are they blinding to oncoming drivers? and do your high beams still work? and whats the cost? they look nice
Arulsriram is correct, these are HID bulbs made for reflector housing, they are shorter than the HID bulbs you see in Hondas and old jeeps, AND they have a black anti-glare shield around the bottom of the bulb to prevent the glare that blinds oncoming traffic.

More info here on the listing:
http://deautokey.com/product/new-h7...-35w-slim-digital-ballast-with-canbus-adapter

Main points:
-Shorter bulb than normal HID-same size as your halogen bulb.
-Black anti-glare shield around the bottom of bulb to prevent glare

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
How long did it take you to install the driver's side bulb? It took me forever and even had to drive with one low-beam so I could get my shop to do it.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Arulsriram is correct, these are HID bulbs made for reflector housing, they are shorter than the HID bulbs you see in Hondas and old jeeps, AND they have a black anti-glare shield around the bottom of the bulb to prevent the glare that blinds oncoming traffic.

More info here on the listing:
http://deautokey.com/product/new-h7...-35w-slim-digital-ballast-with-canbus-adapter

Main points:
-Shorter bulb than normal HID-same size as your halogen bulb.
-Black anti-glare shield around the bottom of bulb to prevent glare

great write up, most likely going to grab these after the review tonight.

what difference between 5000k and 6000k

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

Slight color difference. 6000k is more crisp white as 5000k and lower becomes more yellow like your stock bulbs. The higher you go from 6000k the more blue the lights will look.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took 20 mins for drivers side. Actually pretty easy once I figured it out

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

review with video should be up by 11pm est

·
Vendor
23,162 Posts

Thanks for the interest.

5k and 6k will both be very white, here is a street photo of the 6K:

And our 5k has no yellow in it, it will look close to the 6k white but with none of the small blue tint variation that you see with the 6k.

4300k is more of a yellow that matches your OEM yellow bulbs and not a popular option as people like more of the white color temps with the slight tint.

Thank you:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
what will my high beams look like? and will these be brighter therefore i wont use them?

·
Vendor
23,162 Posts
what will my high beams look like? and will these be brighter therefore i wont use them?
Your high beams are usually separate and people normally do not change them to HID because you only use them to pass inspection and flash to pass.

This kit is normally for your Low Beams.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Your high beams are usually separate and people normally do not change them to HID because you only use them to pass inspection and flash to pass.

This kit is normally for your Low Beams.
oh lol i use them every night when no one is infront of me bc deer just run out of nowhere

·
Vendor
23,162 Posts
oh lol i use them every night when no one is infront of me bc deer just run out of nowhere
In that case, then you might want to change to HID Kits, but we think the HID Kits should give you more visibility as lowbeams that you will not need the high beams.

Yet another thing to buy from you guys!
Keep up the great work.
Thank you :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 312 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.