VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK here's the deal. Got my oil changed at 8am today. Got to work noticed it was over by atleast 1/2 quarter right after stopping car. Went in. Came out for lunch looked again I was 1qt over. Called dealership ran down there had them drain 'excess oil'. ran back to work. Just came home and noticed it's still 1/2qt over when it was 1qt over earlier.
They already looked at me like a moron the first time I complained and it's a haul for me to go back and forth like this.
What should I do? I've changed the oil before on my old 86 Topaz but this is a TDI and NEW totally new ball park. Plus I've heard there is some type of covering and stuff to use to get the oil out and I don't feel comfortable playing around down there yet on my new car.
Is 1/2 really that dangerous. Ohh and the oil is upposed to be the Mobil Delvac 1 I gave them.

·
Registered
22,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Had oil change at dealer, 1/2 quart over what should I do? (landrumdh)

Never Mind. I just checked again and it's down just a HAIR over. I mean not enough to even measure. So I'm not going to bother.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts

I had this happen once and I took it back and they drained the excess out. I don't have a TDI though, just a 2.0. The dealer didn't ask questions, they just took care of it.

·
Registered
22,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Had oil change at dealer, 1/2 quart over what should I do? (haunted reality)

Well I had them already drain 1/2 a quart and I thought it was over if it was over the hatchmarks not the bend.
But it's just now at the top of the bend. so I don't think it's an issue.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Re: Had oil change at dealer, 1/2 quart over what should I do? (GTI Man)

LOL When I first had my coronet.. I noticed it was leaking a considerable amount of oil.
So I bought some and added...stick read fine.
Still leaked heavy everywhere I went..
Soo I kept adding..
It had major probs after that..and a did blow the engine on it (oops) but before that happened, I had to have it serviced.
They got it on the rack and drained the oil.
sumthin like 2 1/2 gallons of oil in the case!!!
LOL
Guy said he had never seen that much oil come out of a car..

·
Registered
22,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for the info.
It's my first new car so I'm a little over protective.
On my old 86 Topaz and Jetta I used to do all the oil changes myself but this is a different beast and my first brand spankin new car.

·
Registered
381 Posts

Dunno if this matters on a TDi, but my Jetta was 1/2 qt over when I had the 5000 mile change done, and they just drained it down to the right level. Its important for gas powered VW's cause it says right on the oil filler cap that too much oil will thrash your catalytic converter, and that can be PRICEY.

·
Registered
22,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Had oil change at dealer, 1/2 quart over what should I do? (Jetta_Blue)

quote:[HR][/HR]Dunno if this matters on a TDi, but my Jetta was 1/2 qt over when I had the 5000 mile change done, and they just drained it down to the right level. Its important for gas powered VW's cause it says right on the oil filler cap that too much oil will thrash your catalytic converter, and that can be PRICEY.[HR][/HR]​
Yes I know that for gassers that's why I was asking for TDI's.
But I had already 1/2 drained. And I reread the manual and it says FULL is at the bend in the stick not at the top of the hatch marks which was confusing me.
So I am AT full and NOT OVER.
Plus if I did have a problem and it was due to excess oil it's my dealerships fault, I brought it to them for service. This is one reason I'm planning on having the dealership doing all service during my B2B atleast so they can't say I screwed it up.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

The dealer put 2 quarts too much oil in my car at the 20k service. I had a scary oil blow-by on the freeway. I thought the engine had blown. A compression leakdown test done showed the engine was ok. I made the dealer give me a new cat and had it installed at another shop for about $80. Anyway here is a cut from a post on another forum. It is very good, I hope the guy doesn't mind me posting it here.
"hydraulicing...when you fill an engine with too much oil,or drive your car in deep water,(don't ask me why,people always do this in floods)the intake sucks in alot of water...it's the same as overfilling your car with oil.
the engine will fill it's cylinders with water/oil and when the compression stroke of the engine forces the pistons up it compresses the liquid in the cylinder. since the exhaust valves are closed,and there is no place for the liquid to escape from,the rods are the first to go....this is why they call it hydraulicing the engine...the force of the crankshaft pushing the piston up,combined with the resistance of the fluid in the combustion chamber causes the rod/rods to bend...the rods,in turn might snap and score the cylinder walls or even crack the walls....in any case it wouldn't be advisable to try and rebuild that engine unless you get it magnafluxed or stress tested first to make sure there's no microscopic cracks in the block that would in turn weaken your engine.....happy dubbing"

·
Registered
22,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Had oil change at dealer, 1/2 quart over what should I do? (VR6GTI'00')

how long did it take before you blew?
I've already done about 40mi at which point I hit 75 or 80 a couple times.
But I'm positive it'll be fine. I'm not over anymore since I had them drain out 1/2 a quart I'm at the tippy top of the full line.
I'm still confused since I only gave them 1 gallon of oil how I'm over on a car that takes 5qts!!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

The day after the service I accelerated hard up the on-ramp, you know ... gas pedal on the floor ... a/c cranking, when I let off the gas on the FW a huge blue cloud came out the back. At first I thought I was on fire. The car almost quit and I pulled over to the side expecting to see oil dripping everywhere and a big puddle under the car. I found no oil anywhere except smudges on the back from the thick smoke that came out. I restarted the car and it ran fine and no smoke. I took it to the dealer (about .5 mi). They checked the codes to patronize me and told me it was a freak thing that wouldn't happen again. It happened the next day. I figured that the oil had to be going somewhere so I checked the level and I found it WAY! over. I got the extra oil drained out then checked everything else the dealer was supposed to do for the 20k service. The lug nuts were way too tight (over 150lbs), the air filter and pollen filter hadn't been changed. There was some glass work I had them do at the same time that they messed up too but I'm already going on too long. They got the car washed okay though.
Anyway ... I had the compression leakdown test done just to make sure everything in the engine was okay. I made them give me a new cat because with that much oil coming out the back I knew the cat was full and would just be a matter of time before it turned to asphalt and plugged.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Dunno if this matters on a TDi, but my Jetta was 1/2 qt over when I had the 5000 mile change done, and they just drained it down to the right level. Its important for gas powered VW's cause it says right on the oil filler cap that too much oil will thrash your catalytic converter, and that can be PRICEY.
Yes I know that for gassers that's why I was asking for TDI's.
But I had already 1/2 drained. And I reread the manual and it says FULL is at the bend in the stick not at the top of the hatch marks which was confusing me.
So I am AT full and NOT OVER.
Plus if I did have a problem and it was due to excess oil it's my dealerships fault, I brought it to them for service. This is one reason I'm planning on having the dealership doing all service during my B2B atleast so they can't say I screwed it up.[HR][/HR]​

if you are full, but not over, what's the problem?
enjoy the car, dude!

·
Registered
241 Posts

Yeah, excess oil is bad, can damage things catalyst included.
Make 'em take it down to the cross hatch on the stick. Take some out, let it sit for 5-10 minutes and check it again. As long as it is in the hatchmarks, it's ok. They screwed up, make it right.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Re: Had oil change at dealer, 1/2 quart over what should I do? (nuke)

too bad u dont have an a1 or a2, or even better yet a 16v. too much oil in any of those and if its not burning it, u just have to wait a lil bit for it to leak outta the motor...

·
Registered
22,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I was 1/2 qt over. But they drained that. And then I misread the stick, why can't VW use the same marking as every other manurfacture I've seen and though I was still over but I wasn't.
This is done now. It died once, let it die again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts