VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was getting on the freeway and it started raining really hard, and I went to turn on the wipers, and THEY DIDNT WORK AT ALL! The washer sprayers still worked fine and I could turn on the rear wiper no problem so I knew it probably wasn't the switch. So I got off the freeway cause I couldn't see and made it to my destination, turned the car off, and then came back 30 minutes later and they worked fine and haven't hiccuped since, has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Re: Had something strange happen with the GTI on Thursday. (GT_King)

I think it's called the "Microsoft Effect". VW's these days seem to have reached a point where if something isn't working, the first thing you should try is turning off the car, removing the key, waiting 10 seconds, then starting it up again.
Most times a 'microsoft reboot' fixes the issue

·
Registered
269 Posts
Re: Had something strange happen with the GTI on Thursday. (TREGinginCO)

The other thing I have heard is there is a 17 mile reset sequence. A lot of short trips confuses the "confuser" and doesn't finish the reset or test cycle.

Modified by makmov at 9:06 AM 3-11-2006

·
Registered
432 Posts

I have experienced the same thing in my Passat. I got to my work, and wanted to clean the windshield before I go into the building. The sprayers worked, but the wipers didn't move. I turned off the car and took out the key, waited 10 seconds, put in the key and tried again, the same thing. I went to work. 30min later, I tried again, it worked, and no problem since. Like others have said, it was probably a software glitch.

·
Registered
9 Posts

This is very troubling to hear about this happening, as I've been in situations where if I didn't have my wipers going, I'd probably wreak my car... I'd hate to get the GTI and have this happen to me while driving through a downpour!

Just to include this in; If I were in the same raining situation that I'm speaking of, there'd be no way to pull off the road. Visibility was bad for everyone, no matter how fast the wipers were going.

Modified by Horizon at 4:08 PM 3-11-2006

Modified by Horizon at 4:11 PM 3-11-2006

·
Registered
135 Posts
Re: Had something strange happen with the GTI on Thursday. (Horizon)

Quote, originally posted by Horizon »
This is very troubling to hear about this happening, as I've been in situations where if I didn't have my wipers going, I'd probably wreak my car... I'd hate to get the GTI and have this happen to me while driving through a downpour!

Just to include this in; If I were in the same raining situation that I'm speaking of, there'd be no way to pull off the road. Visibility was bad for everyone, no matter how fast the wipers were going.

Modified by Horizon at 4:08 PM 3-11-2006
Modified by Horizon at 4:11 PM 3-11-2006

I keep telling everybody, they are turning our cars into "Starship Enterprises on wheels" They are putting everything under computer control. One day I'm afraid I'm going to look back in the repair bays of my dealer and find Geordi LaForge, B'ELanna Torres, and Scotty all under the hood of my car...with Data and SevenofNine interfacing with my GLI's computer pulling codes and stuff. The stuff I'm hearing is unheard of being controlled by computer glitches!! Whatever happened to Honda's ad back in the early 80's....."We keep it simple"

Modified by 5thVW at 2:09 PM 3-12-2006

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: Had something strange happen with the GTI on Thursday. (5thVW)

Quote, originally posted by 5thVW »

I keep telling everybody, they are turning our cars into "Starship Enterprises on wheels" They are putting everything under computer control. One day I'm afraid I'm going to look back in the repair bays of my dealer and find Geordi LaForge, B'ELanna Torres, and Scotty all under the hood of my car...with Data and SevenofNine interfacing with my GLI's computer pulling codes and stuff. The stuff I'm hearing is unheard of being controlled by computer glitches!! Whatever happened to Honda's ad back in the early 80's....."We keep it simple"

Lol, ain't that the truth. That's practically why I'm afraid to buy the GTI, as everything is computer controlled. Soon we'll be saying stuff in the car like, "Computer, engauge wiper sequence."

I currently have a Honda, and I can work on almost anything in the car... if I were to get this GTI, I'd almost have to have an engineering degree in electronics, just so I can diagnose why my headlamps won't come on.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Re: Had something strange happen with the GTI on Thursday. (Horizon)

Here in Florida we get downpours that even the fastest wiper setting can't handle. It's not uncommon to see people driving through these downpours with their wipers off here - I'm one of them.
The secret is Rain-X, treat your windshield with it and you will drive through the worst downpour without your wipers on - it works great. I use Rain-X windshield washer fluid so it teats it everytime I hit the washers.
I'm not suggesting this is an acceptable fix for this problem though.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Re: Had something strange happen with the GTI on Thursday. (badb5)

x2 on the RainX. It worked great over the last few days over here.
I'd have the wipers checked out at the next service date, or sooner if it keeps doing that. I suspect it might be a programming issue and a simple fix.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
I'm glad three folks beat me to the Rain-X recommendation.
However, I'm going to disagree with all three of them.

Get some Comet or some other good cleaner and clean all of that junk off your windshield. Then, get some AquaPel and apply it. AquaPel is light years ahead of RainX in terms of durability, IMO. Sure, it costs about five times as much per application, but it's worth it, at least to me.
http://www.tirerack.com/access...l.jsp
I've found it at an O'Reilly Auto Parts around here as well. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2018 Golf GTI Autobahn | 1993 VW Corrado SLC
6,540 Posts
Re: (badb5)

Quote, originally posted by badb5 »
I've never heard of AquaPel, looks like a great product - thanks

Thanks for the reminder; been meaning to try this vs. Rain X, so I just ordered. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: (BRM10984)

I don't know if I would put comet on my windshield, but I clay bar all my windows before the rainy season. Clean them off with alcohol afterwards. It seems to get rid of streaking. I also use rain-x fluid it seems to work well.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Re: Had something strange happen with the GTI on Thursday. (5thVW)

Quote, originally posted by 5thVW »

...with Data and SevenofNine interfacing with my GLI's computer pulling codes and stuff. Modified by 5thVW at 2:09 PM 3-12-2006

Completely OT, but Seven of Nine (Jeri Ryan) can come over and pull my codes any time she wants!

Rob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.