VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had it somewhere downtown Ottawa, it was good but not great. portions were kinda skimpy too. This is the 1st time I've had it since leaving Vancouver two years ago. I had never touched the stuff until friends there took me out. We went to some place on Davie just off Burrard for you Vanc people who know . Kishi poppo or something like that. All you can eat on Friday nights for $20, easily worth it.
If anything last night reminded me of how much I love the stuff. There's a lot of dishes I can make just as good at home but I don't know about sushi. Anyone make it successfully ?

·
Registered
34,664 Posts
Re: Had sushi last night, not bad (Lexi)

I love sushi. A few "all you can eat" Japanese foods in Vancouver and Richmond are great. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
14,345 Posts
Re: Had sushi last night, not bad (philchris)

quote:[HR][/HR]Unagi (broiled eel with a teriyaki like sause) is not scary at all, good stuff.
[HR][/HR]​
I second that.

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Had sushi last night, not bad (A4Jetta)

quote:[HR][/HR]I love sushi. A few "all you can eat" Japanese foods in Vancouver and Richmond are great. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
[HR][/HR]​
A4Jetta, can you list a few of those "all you can eat" places ? This spring my g-friend and I will be in Vancouver for a few days adn I'd like to show her what real sushi tastes like.
Guys , I've seen the broiled eel and I don't know if I could put that in my mouth. It really tastes good ????

·
Registered
8,438 Posts

You should try Sashimi (Raw Fish), espically Fugu (Blowfish) it is sooooooooo good, it is a taste to die for (Literally)

·
Registered
34,664 Posts

Hey Lexi,
Richmond Sushi located at Sexsmith @ Capstan Way is one of the most recommended places for Japanese "all you can eat". I will think of more later on.

·
Registered
14,854 Posts
Re: Had sushi last night, not bad (A4Jetta)

sushi = easy to make yourself.
btw, for any of you who don't believe me, all [American] sushi restaurants are required by law to freeze their meat for 24hrs prior to serving. Nothing is truly fresh-from-the-ocean. Hence, it's just as easy to buy a quality cut of your favorite fish/seafood and do the same. Just make sure you have sushi rice and proper vinegar.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Guys , I've seen the broiled eel and I don't know if I could put that in my mouth. It really tastes good ????[HR][/HR]​
Flavor is more from the sauce than the eel, but good (fresh?) eel will be very soft and almost melts (okay, this may be an exaggeration) in your mouth. Had some at a sushi bar that was like this, had some at a fast food sushi place the eel was not as moist and much more firm. But the good stuff is that good, try it you'll like it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Re: Had sushi last night, not bad (bigelliot)

quote:[HR][/HR]sushi = easy to make yourself.
Hence, it's just as easy to buy a quality cut of your favorite fish/seafood and do the same. Just make sure you have sushi rice and proper vinegar.[HR][/HR]​
Second that (at least for the rolls) - you can buy the little roller mat at Bed Bath Beyond or the like, which helps with the roll (Naked Chef used them last night). The toughest part is just getting the rice the right consistency.
My favorite is Philadelphia Ahi - tuna, cream cheese and chives!

·
James Steed
12,070 Posts
Re: Had sushi last night, not bad (adgridley)

Giant Clam is my favorite. MMMMMMMM
And then some Salmon skin rolls are the ticket too.
Just stay far away from sea urchin.
To quote the guy at my local sushi restaraunt.
"You'll be sick for week if you eat that"
Damn I hate when people are right and you don't believe them.

·
Registered
14,339 Posts
Re: Had sushi last night, not bad (philchris)

quote:[HR][/HR]btw, for any of you who don't believe me, all [American] sushi restaurants are required by law to freeze their meat for 24hrs
prior to serving. Nothing is truly fresh-from-the-ocean. Hence, it's just as easy to buy a quality cut of your favorite
fish/seafood and do the same. Just make sure you have sushi rice and proper vinegar.[HR][/HR]​
not true....here is what the FDA says
quote:[HR][/HR]FDA recommends that all fish and shellfish intended for raw (or semiraw such as marinated or partly cooked) consumption be blast frozen to -35°C (-31°F) or
below for 15 hours, or be regularly frozen to -20°C (-4°F) or below for 7 days.[HR][/HR]​
\
but the final descision comes down to the state and county health departments
also, anyone living in LA, get your stuff at the santa monica fist market on coloroado.....the best sashimi grade tuna, as well as great fresh fish. i think they may also sell eveything else one would need to prepare it themselves http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by what, 4:09 PM 11-27-2001]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts