VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
Something special for you petrol heads the last day of 2018.

Finally I made this happen and I ams super stoked about it.
Thanks to a fellow member here who converted his TTRS equipped with Haldex 4 with an Wavetrac LSD from the Haldex 2 generation. I asked him if I would be interested in doing the same thing for my 7R and the Haldex 5 diff...

After some talk back and forth we desided to give it a try. The looks of the diff's from out side. They did not look mutch different apart so we thought it would be the same inside.
We were wrong!
New measurements was needed and new parts needed to be made.
But to cut the story short. I now have the first Haldex 5 diff with a LSD

I haven't installed it on the car yet but this will be soon...
Keep an eye out for more details here if you are interested in this mod.
Pictures below to admire if you are like me
PS. To top it off. I'll be installing the Wavetrac LSD up front as well at the same time. My DSG clutches need replacing!

I wish you all happy new year 2019.

Please comment if you like and are interested in this mod your self. We might start producing a small number of this...

Sent fra min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Checking this as we speak... I only have an RS3 8v2 (facelift) to check with...

Very interested in learning more about your process. It looks like you cut off the ring gear and welded it to the new diff and then also created new stubs and welded those on as well, is that correct? I'm not sure if this will fit on the 8v2. They have a larger rear pumpkin and likely a larger rear differential as well. Would likely require some extra steps. It would be even better if we could have a clutch type differential installed at the rear.

·
Registered
MTA F Train
6,544 Posts
Very cool!

I'm potentially interested, once I hear more about the process, install, cost and most of all, driving experience!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Very interested in learning more about your process. It looks like you cut off the ring gear and welded it to the new diff and then also created new stubs and welded those on as well, is that correct? I'm not sure if this will fit on the 8v2. They have a larger rear pumpkin and likely a larger rear differential as well. Would likely require some extra steps. It would be even better if we could have a clutch type differential installed at the rear.
You are correct. We needed to mill off the ring gear + make additional parts.
Can you please provide me the part no. for the RS3 8v2 rear Haldex and diff?
I am trying to gather more info on this more beefier diff that also allow for drift/more over steer. Which was also a new feature of the facelift cars...

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
You are correct. We needed to mill off the ring gear + make additional parts.
Can you please provide me the part no. for the RS3 8v2 rear Haldex and diff?
I am tryito gather more info on this more beefier diff that also allow for drift/more over steer. Which was also a new feature of the facelift cars...

Thanks for sharing. I've always wondered just how much additional work it would be to make an older unit work.

Unfortunately I do not have the info you are looking for. My info comes from comments from others that have easy access to both vehicles on a daily basis.

Aside from additional programming, Haldex 5 will still only allow for equal torque to the front and rear axle under perfect conditions. I'm thinking most of the ability for the car to slide around more is due more to alignment and the change in weight bias. The new engine takes about 70lbs off the front axle, compared to 8v1, and is only about 30lbs heavier than the S3. A more aggressive rear alignment will allow the rear to come around more easily. Revised anti-skid programming could just "allow" the user to keep the tail out.

Did you weld the ring gear to the diff? Are you essentially unable to access the diff bolts unless you mill off the weld?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi all.
I’m the one who initially started the TTRS rear LSD thread.
You may find some additional info there (everything is very similar for the R):
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9141289-TTRS-RS3-Rear-Wavetrac-(Haldex-IV)

This mod will mainly improve balance when accelerating out of turns. It can eliminate the on-power understeer most Haldex cars have...

Did you weld the ring gear to the diff? Are you essentially unable to access the diff bolts unless you mill off the weld?
Yes, the ring gear is laser welded, but the bolts are easily accessible.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Hi all.
I’m the one who initially started the TTRS rear LSD thread.
You may find some additional info there (everything is very similar for the R):
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9141289-TTRS-RS3-Rear-Wavetrac-(Haldex-IV)

This mod will mainly improve balance when accelerating out of turns. It can eliminate the on-power understeer most Haldex cars have...

Yes, the ring gear is laser welded, but the bolts are easily accessible.
Thank you for sharing and taking the plunge into making this! Excellent modification for anyone that really tracks the car. Looking at the pictures more closely I now see the differential access bolts are on the other end of the ring gear, so access is obviously very easy. Wavetrac has always claimed to offer various types of friction plates to control how quickly power transfers, making this a more tune-able aspect of the car. I do wonder if there are other differentials, namely plate types that fit the platform and could be modified as such.

The next logical question is who wants to offer these in small batches, and what will the cost be?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thank you for sharing and taking the plunge into making this! Excellent modification for anyone that really tracks the car..
I do wonder if there are other differentials, namely plate types that fit the platform and could be modified as such.
Have to say I never really dealt with plate type LSD´s, but the only manufacturer of a rear LSD for the R32 I know is Drexler. They´re really expensive and we would have to start from scratch again, so for now, we will go ahead with the Wavetrac only...
But I assume it would be about the same effort to modify.

The next logical question is who wants to offer these in small batches, and what will the cost be?
We could offer a few more if there is interest.
As seen on the pictures, it will be a fully revised rear unit, ready for install.
But more on when the first R unit is installed...;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice work! This is something I would definitely be interested for my own car and to offer customers.

-- Ed

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ditto to what Ed said. I would like a shot at buying one from you once you’ve got it all sorted out.

·
Registered
192 Posts
From what I think I know about the Haldex, we will still only ever get 50% max power to the back wheels. And the Haldex is still a reactionary system. Correct? This just makes the rear end more fun amiright?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
From what I think I know about the Haldex, we will still only ever get 50% max power to the back wheels. And the Haldex is still a reactionary system. Correct? This just makes the rear end more fun amiright?
Gen 5 is advertised as proactive. I'm planning on logging soon to see if there's actually any change from the "increased traction" coding, and I'll be specifically looking to see if/when the system is proactively engaged. Previous generations were only reactionary because they relied on mechanical pumps to power the system, so you had to have slip before the rear wheels could engage. Newer gens rely on electric pumps and can be activated proactively, from my understanding. It is not a full-time system though, and no LSD will change that. The rear LSD will help get power to the ground in the rear at the limits, because with an open diff, a spinning wheel will always stay spinning (until brake-based XDS forces torque transfer).

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The Gen 5 is definitely more proactive. That being said, when I had my Mk4 R32 I did the UM Haldex tune and it made a really big difference for the positive. It almost felt like it was reacting to my throttle position more than any sort of traction situation. Also, it disconnected automatically when cruising which gave me back some MPG.

If it is anywhere as good for the Gen 5 as it was for the Gen 1, it is completely worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 213 Posts