VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Haldex 5 - Now with Wavetrac LSD rear diff on my 7R

73K views 216 replies 43 participants last post by  gaijin240z 
#1 ·
Hi all.
Something special for you petrol heads the last day of 2018.

Finally I made this happen and I ams super stoked about it.
Thanks to a fellow member here who converted his TTRS equipped with Haldex 4 with an Wavetrac LSD from the Haldex 2 generation. I asked him if I would be interested in doing the same thing for my 7R and the Haldex 5 diff...

After some talk back and forth we desided to give it a try. The looks of the diff's from out side. They did not look mutch different apart so we thought it would be the same inside.
We were wrong!
New measurements was needed and new parts needed to be made.
But to cut the story short. I now have the first Haldex 5 diff with a LSD [emoji41]

I haven't installed it on the car yet but this will be soon... [emoji4]
Keep an eye out for more details here if you are interested in this mod.
Pictures below to admire if you are like me [emoji16]
PS. To top it off. I'll be installing the Wavetrac LSD up front as well at the same time. My DSG clutches need replacing!

I wish you all happy new year 2019.

Please comment if you like and are interested in this mod your self. We might start producing a small number of this... [emoji41]

Sent fra min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

See less See more
#14 ·
Nice work! This is something I would definitely be interested for my own car and to offer customers.

-- Ed

#18 ·
From what I think I know about the Haldex, we will still only ever get 50% max power to the back wheels. And the Haldex is still a reactionary system. Correct? This just makes the rear end more fun amiright?

#19 ·
Gen 5 is advertised as proactive. I'm planning on logging soon to see if there's actually any change from the "increased traction" coding, and I'll be specifically looking to see if/when the system is proactively engaged. Previous generations were only reactionary because they relied on mechanical pumps to power the system, so you had to have slip before the rear wheels could engage. Newer gens rely on electric pumps and can be activated proactively, from my understanding. It is not a full-time system though, and no LSD will change that. The rear LSD will help get power to the ground in the rear at the limits, because with an open diff, a spinning wheel will always stay spinning (until brake-based XDS forces torque transfer).

#20 ·
The Gen 5 is definitely more proactive. That being said, when I had my Mk4 R32 I did the UM Haldex tune and it made a really big difference for the positive. It almost felt like it was reacting to my throttle position more than any sort of traction situation. Also, it disconnected automatically when cruising which gave me back some MPG.

If it is anywhere as good for the Gen 5 as it was for the Gen 1, it is completely worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 ·
Ok guys
Some info at this stage....
The good news is that an LSD is possible...
There is no other solution then via us.
Both I an my partner ICETER have lost a lot of money trying to get wavetrac/INA and Mfactory to make us a working solution. They all gave up or quoted us silli money to do it...
So please do not go that way... You are better off supporting this thread and us...
By saying this. This is not a mod that everybody will want to do... Only a handful of maniacs as me and ICETER will want to do this... Therefore please support us and not try again to find other maker again....

So now to the bad news....
I have received my modified rear diff and all was good until I was going to install it! We have used the wrong diff.... Yes you are reading it correctly... We have been using the wrong part no... I used the Haldex Gen5 ecu no. And by this you get a lot of hits on ebay...
Our diff was sold as a VW Golf 7 and Audi S3 8v diff... But this was wrong! It's for a Passat 2.0TDI twin turbo car... [emoji31]
This means it's a slightly bigger diff and the end ratio is not the same... Now we can confirm it's a small and a bigger unit of the rear diff. So the RS3 8v I now can confirm has a bigger diff... (I am still checking this out. So please do not hold me to this 100%)
If the ratio was correct new driv shaft and/or new drive shaft nuckles is needed too...
It might work plug&play on a RS3 8v and TTRS mk3. So if someone is interested PM me and we could find out...

So what to do? I ordered a new diff [emoji2957]. So let's hope this is the correct one...
I am waiting for ICETER to receive it and make some new measurements and confirm instalation.... [emoji4]
I'll let you all know soon...

So let's bring in some other good news... As you know I also installed the wavetrac LSD at the front... [emoji4] And I visited the Ice last weekend... Car was amazing and was dancing on the ice like a pro drifter... BUT the XDS must be deactivated completely when a LSD is used... I almost cooked my brakes up front. The system was working overtime trying to beat the LSD up front...
But without it and ESP fully off the car was amazing on the ice...

New info will come soon... [emoji4]

#26 ·
Ok guys
Some info at this stage....
The good news is that an LSD is possible...
There is no other solution then via us.
Both I an my partner ICETER have lost a lot of money trying to get wavetrac/INA and Mfactory to make us a working solution. They all gave up or quoted us silli money to do it...
So please do not go that way... You are better off supporting this thread and us...
By saying this. This is not a mod that everybody will want to do... Only a handful of maniacs as me and ICETER will want to do this... Therefore please support us and not try again to find other maker again....
You guys are amazing, keep it up! I'm sure others will be super eager to ask you guys to fab them something when you figure out everything!

So now to the bad news....
I have received my modified rear diff and all was good until I was going to install it! We have used the wrong diff.... Yes you are reading it correctly... We have been using the wrong part no... I used the Haldex Gen5 ecu no. And by this you get a lot of hits on ebay...
Our diff was sold as a VW Golf 7 and Audi S3 8v diff... But this was wrong! It's for a Passat 2.0TDI twin turbo car... [emoji31]
This means it's a slightly bigger diff and the end ratio is not the same... Now we can confirm it's a small and a bigger unit of the rear diff. So the RS3 8v I now can confirm has a bigger diff... (I am still checking this out. So please do not hold me to this 100%)
If the ratio was correct new driv shaft and/or new drive shaft nuckles is needed too...
It might work plug&play on a RS3 8v and TTRS mk3. So if someone is interested PM me and we could find out...

So what to do? I ordered a new diff [emoji2957]. So let's hope this is the correct one...
I am waiting for ICETER to receive it and make some new measurements and confirm instalation.... [emoji4]
I'll let you all know soon...

So let's bring in some other good news... As you know I also installed the wavetrac LSD at the front... [emoji4] And I visited the Ice last weekend... Car was amazing and was dancing on the ice like a pro drifter... BUT the XDS must be deactivated completely when a LSD is used... I almost cooked my brakes up front. The system was working overtime trying to beat the LSD up front...
But without it and ESP fully off the car was amazing on the ice...

New info will come soon... [emoji4]

This is what I suspected, good to know if going down this path.

#28 ·
Ok guys...
So after borrowing my friends RS3 8v Facelift. And spending some time under it...
I now can confirm that I have the bigger unit that fits the RS3/TTRS cars...

Regarding the ratios they are all the same. But exterior dimensions are bigger for the RS cars...

If by any means you would like a beefier rear diff. You need to change also the rear frame, main drive shaft (not confirmed) and side drive shaft joints. RS has ø100mm and the 7R has aprox ø80mm (did not measure the R yet) did not confirm the drive shaft length at this point comparing the 7R vs. RS...

My new diff is under building...
So stay tuned for more information

#31 ·
Ok guys.
A new diff is under assambly...
Here are some photos of the progress...

PS. If someone with a TTRS/RS3 is interested in a rear diff already modified with the wavetrac LSD. Send me an PM.... I have one for sale!

Enjoy the pictures...

#32 ·
It cool. I have been dream about this for so long, unfortunately I can't find anyone interest of this project locally.:(

Would you guys planning to producing couple more in the future? I am looking to have it for my Gen2 unit.
BTW, Gen 2 diff looks very similar to ICETER'S Gen4 Diff by looking at the case, maybe the mechanical parts are very similar too....?

#37 ·
So interesting! are there any specifications on this diff? What is the lock up, is it a 1/1.5/2 way ect. Im a 4motion wagon owner and this looks so interesting.
Wavetrac is a torsen type diff. They don't really lock like plate type diff.
They just transmit torque from side to side, able to create a passive yaw moment.
This depends on the TBR (torque bias ratio), which is about 2,5-3 for the Wavetrac.

The special thing on the Wavetrac is that its a preloaded torsen with an integrated "wave hub". It´s able to further increase this preload when speed differences between the wheels getting bigger, preventing the wheel without grip from spinning.

Any videos of cars running with the rear diff installed?
No Gen4 or 5 Haldex cars, the only one so far is from my TTRS, which I already linked ...

#35 ·
This is really interesting!
I plan to get a TT-S Mk3 manual as my next car but I was a bit worried about the transimission and the fact that it does't really work as an old fashioned Lancer or STI.
But with a LSD at the back... :D

I may have some people interested in your LSD for RS3, but is it for RS3 8P / TT-RS 8J or for the newer 8V / 8S models?

#36 ·
Hi GardusTech.
The one I have extra is for the RS3 8V and TTRS mk3/8S cars... [emoji4]
Please let me know if they want to buy it. It's just laying around here. It's a real shame knowing all the money and time invested into this conversion...
By the way. I live in Norway. So shipping to you will be needed... [emoji4]

#40 ·
Guys. Trust me. Just order the complete conversion from us. It will save you a lot of money and time.
We provide the wavetrac LSD and a used Haldex diff (we need to know the correct Haldex diff needed by the part no.)

ICETER has the "big" Haldex 4 diff on the TTRS 8J

RS3 8V /TTRS 8S has the "big" Haldex 5 diff

Ther MQB cars like the Golf 7R and Audi S3 8v has the "small" Haldex 5 diff...

Hope this explains it... [emoji4]

#51 ·
Hi all.

So we finally found a shop willing to offer them for TTRS, RS3, Golf7 R.
It took some time, but I think its important to be able to buy it as a official product.
Unfortunately this doesn't make it a bargain, but I think everyone who knows the labour costs in central Europe will confirm its a reasonable price for this.

https://www.powerzone.at/hinterachs-sperrdifferential/
Located in Austria, but they will ship worldwide
Their prices includes also 20% Austrian VAT...

#53 ·
$3200USD + shipping is a bit rich for my blood. When wavetrac made the Mk4 R32 unit, it was in the $1200 range. I understand there is a little more complexity going on here, but I feel like it would be less for me to give a really good machine shop the Wavetrac and my diff and let them go to town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.