VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

201 - 213 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
You answer can be found HERE.
Hi, yes, thank you. I've been there, many times.

What I was hoping for was an idea of shipping costs from Austria and whether or not you paid those fees on just the modified ATB or the full weight completed diff. Just curious because I've never shipped anything that heavy from the EU. Could I bother Powerzone and ask them for a quote? Sure, but I like to be completely informed before I waste someone's time over the phone.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi, yes, thank you. I've been there, many times.

What I was hoping for was an idea of shipping costs from Austria and whether or not you paid those fees on just the modified ATB or the full weight completed diff. Just curious because I've never shipped anything that heavy from the EU. Could I bother Powerzone and ask them for a quote? Sure, but I like to be completely informed before I waste someone's time over the phone.
Gotcha. Here's a breakdown of the cost.

·
Registered
158 Posts
After much delay from FedEx I was able to get my haldex! I wanted to have a shining moment when I opened up the crate/box... but what I was left with was a very... well... unsightly pile of rubble.

Now I'm sure PowerZone / Haldex-LSD did their good work in packaging this. Fedex though? Well... ****. I told the driver if I needed to actually sign for it. Apparently I don't. He also mentioned that powerzone should have sent it via Freight. Well... my thought was shouldn't fedex actually ship the boxes intact? Regardless, a bit of powerzone's underestimation of FedEx's ill care for their duty... and FedEx just being beastly at shipping boxes. Though, I can say UPS mangles wheels (never ship wheels via UPS).

I hope that the Haldex is OK. I figure the casing would be cracked if they did indeed feel like dropping this box off the plane onto the runway (United Breaks Guitars). I reached out to PowerZone and they ensured it was OK and that Customs opened it up. "Yaye". I'll keep my fingers crossed. Surprsingly, this thing is lighter than I thought it was going to be! I thought I might've needed a jack to lower/raise this thing. Nope. I can just bench press this thing. Anyway, wish me luck.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Happy times...
Sorry for this bad shipping experience. Hope all is well. Which I think it is..

Let us know...

Sent fra min SM-N975F via Tapatalk

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
PS. Where is the Haldex clutch pack en ECU? Did you buy the diff without this???

Sent fra min SM-N975F via Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wish I had cool photos to show you guys. Unfortunately the wavetrac is something you can't see, but only feel, and I must say this thing is pretty cool. The car no longer feels like a fwd out of corners... or sensation of the front outside wheel drawing the car to the apex. Instead, I can feel the rear outer wheel pushing the car out of the corner. In a sense, it's not only a PULL from the front but also a PUSH from the rear (win/win) . I can also feel the car clawing for grip. Before, with XDS ON, the car felt like a dead potato. Just... blah. Though, I didn't know what to expect with this mod. I'll report back as I learn a bit more bout the change in dynamics of this thing.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Update:

Did a couple off ramp excursions powering out of the turn. The car definitely wants the rear to rotate on power. A bit too much. I took off the rear sway bar (H&R... solid bar and pretty damn stiff) and the car transistioned back to under steer on power... (I’m using H&R in the front as well on the stiffest setting). I’ll either install the stock sway bar or pick up a super pro sway rear bar to load the rear a bit more to tighten the turning radius.

With the rain in SoCal I was able to push the car a bit in the rain. Just grips even in the wet. Rear traction is increased with the rear outer wheel pushing the car around the corner. I guess it didn’t help that I swapped my H&R sway bar back to stock to dial in a bit more under steer (awd cars prefer no swap bar or stock)... I don’t feel that I need a stiff sway bar in the rear to rotate the car. I’m pretty happy with the upgrade. The car feels more all wheel drive than a fwd if that makes any sense. In other words I feel the back end plays more of a role in accelerating the car rather than playing a sort of implicit role or a minor role.

201 - 213 of 213 Posts