VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
22,730 Posts
How much power? Launching a lot? Extra service to the haldex? Why not run an aftermarket diff? Clutch pack upgrade for the power and track issues?

What happened?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
To be fair the rear end on the car is designed for an engine output of ~300 hp. Once you start to push that number north of 500 hp, in my opinion, its reasonable to expect parts like this to fail. I mean how much margin can we expect manufacturers to build into these components and still keep them lightweight and affordable?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Sorry to hear that.
What' the old and new part number for Haldex and Differential?
I saw a post on face book who have same issue and he got replacement by dealer.
I'd love to see him roll into the dealer in that beast and ask them to cover his rear diff under warranty.

"Sir, I was just driving my grandma to the store to pick up some groceries and the entire Haldex system grenaded underneath us, under minimal throttle and well below the posted speed limit. Granny was terrified, and anyway you owe me a new Haldex system. Also, please don't look under the hood, or under the car, or run any diagnostics."

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
The owner posted brake boosting videos - that probably caused it. I doubt this could ever happen on a DSG equipped car.
^ yup. This car has been through some stuff.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
290 Posts
You're the exception, not the rule. Don't call out the manufacturer when your tranny blows after towing a city bus (brake boosting); and you cry foul looking for warranty help? User error.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
... I mean, if its stage 3+ you cant really call it bull sh*t.

Also, your total cost to replace the diff was pretty low compared to the money youve put into the car. I would say its in line with the expected results of "the more you play, the more you pay". (an adaptation of the classic phrase)

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Haldex 5 is like what? 5.5kg? Designed to be efficient, effective, a save weight? I wouldn't expect it to handle too much power. The twinster in the RS can overheat with stock power and goes into limp mode after a lap with an engine tune. They aren't designed for stage 3 abuse. DD, no problem. This guy abuses cars.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So for all you saying I abuse the car, how come there are reports and first hand accounts of this exact code happening on stock cars. do your research before bashing. My friend's completely stock 2015 A3 had the same failure. And if you searc, others had the same issue on stock R's as well. I had a mk6 golf r that I launched all the time, never had an issue. Never been able to get this car to launch because it is 6 speed

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
My rear differential on a completely stock Tiguan was replaced at around 20k miles, go figure.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haldex 5 is like what? 5.5kg? Designed to be efficient, effective, a save weight? I wouldn't expect it to handle too much power. The twinster in the RS can overheat with stock power and goes into limp mode after a lap with an engine tune. They aren't designed for stage 3 abuse. DD, no problem. This guy abuses cars.
5.5kg? As in how much it weighs? It was 94lbs not 12 lbs

·
Registered
192 Posts
So for all you saying I abuse the car, how come there are reports and first hand accounts of this exact code happening on stock cars. do your research before bashing. My friend's completely stock 2015 A3 had the same failure. And if you searc, others had the same issue on stock R's as well. I had a mk6 golf r that I launched all the time, never had an issue. Never been able to get this car to launch because it is 6 speed
I had a rear diff blow on a MK6R that was only S1 UM + the rear driveshaft - not sure where you get that correlation just because it didn't happen to you must mean it has never happened? :screwy::thumbdown:

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My rear differential on a completely stock Tiguan was replaced at around 20k miles, go figure.
Thanks for the input cause apparently these vortexers haven't seen anyone else with this issue. Except for me cause I "brake boost"

1 - 20 of 249 Posts