VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I scanned my car with OBDeleven this afternoon and noticed Haldex fault code C111307 popped up.

Looks like the date on it was yesterday morning, around the time that I attempted a launch. It was odd because the car really lit up the tires. Aside from that, I’ve never noticed anything odd with the AWD.

Has anyone else encountered this before? It’s been about 15,000 miles since I last did a Haldex fluid change/filter cleanout, so it’s probably due. Although when I did that one it had a little crud in it, but overall it was really pretty clean, and that was at ~30k miles.

Wondering what my best course of action is here.

22 All Wheel Control

System description: Haldex4Motion
Software number: 0CQ907554D
Software version: 7082
Hardware number: 0CQ525130
Hardware version: H52
Serial number: HA1-00020.05.1500012325
ODX name: EV_AllWheelContrHA1VW37X
ODX version: 002013
Long coding: 0001

Trouble codes:
C111307 - All Wheel Drive (AWD) mechanical malfunction
Intermittent
Date: 2020-06-21 08:55:59
Mileage: 76090 km
Priority: 1
Malfunction frequency counter: 1
Unlearning counter: 136

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Had the same code after I ran VCDS as I was noticing in lower gears or when launching, power didn't feel like it would transfer to the back. In higher gears like 3rd or when taking corners, I still could feel it though. Cleared codes, went out and did some launches and they progressively got more and more FWD. Code came up again. Took the car in and the clutch was done. Not surprised, have done a lot of launches. Granted, I got +51k miles out of it. Fixed it, drove it slow for 500 miles and now when I romp, car really pushes from the back. I'm Stage II now and was for about 4k before, might explain the rate of failure since I was JB1 for a few years and then Stage I for a year and a bit and it always felt rock solid.

·
Registered
23,517 Posts

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Some have had luck getting it covered for free by the dealer after flashing back to stock. Cleaning it again probably won't fix it. Usual culprit is the pump dying iirc but VW just replaces the whole unit.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
VW change Haldex oil change to every 3 years...reguardless of miles
I know. I think there are enough people in the community that have shown that those things tend to get really gunked up much sooner than that though, depending on driving style.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Hey everyone. I scanned my car with OBDeleven this afternoon and noticed Haldex fault code C111307 popped up.

Looks like the date on it was yesterday morning, around the time that I attempted a launch. It was odd because the car really lit up the tires. Aside from that, I’ve never noticed anything odd with the AWD.

Has anyone else encountered this before? It’s been about 15,000 miles since I last did a Haldex fluid change/filter cleanout, so it’s probably due. Although when I did that one it had a little crud in it, but overall it was really pretty clean, and that was at ~30k miles.

Wondering what my best course of action is here.

22 All Wheel Control

System description: Haldex4Motion
Software number: 0CQ907554D
Software version: 7082
Hardware number: 0CQ525130
Hardware version: H52
Serial number: HA1-00020.05.1500012325
ODX name: EV_AllWheelContrHA1VW37X
ODX version: 002013
Long coding: 0001

Trouble codes:
C111307 - All Wheel Drive (AWD) mechanical malfunction
Intermittent
Date: 2020-06-21 08:55:59
Mileage: 76090 km
Priority: 1
Malfunction frequency counter: 1
Unlearning counter: 136

Changing the fluid and checking the filter is probably what I would do first.

But also run the pump prime and reset adaptions in VCDS/OBD11:

With VCDS do the following to prime the pump and reset the adaption values. Then drive around normally for a few miles before trying a launch.

Engine on w/VCDS:

1. (22) AWD -> Basic Settings -> Pump Prime Until it stops (a little over 1min)
2. (22) AWD -> Clear codes (even if none are present)
3. (22) AWD -> Basic Settings -> Clear all adaptation values
4. Drive off, no launches for a few miles or so. 1. Seems to work perfect in VCDS, but on OBD11 it runs and won't stop 2. Seems to work perfect in OBD11, but I cannot get it to run on VCDS 3 & 4 work on both VCDS & OBD11.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Changing the fluid and checking the filter is probably what I would do first.

But also run the pump prime and reset adaptions in VCDS/OBD11:

With VCDS do the following to prime the pump and reset the adaption values. Then drive around normally for a few miles before trying a launch.

Engine on w/VCDS:

1. (22) AWD -> Basic Settings -> Pump Prime Until it stops (a little over 1min)
2. (22) AWD -> Clear codes (even if none are present)
3. (22) AWD -> Basic Settings -> Clear all adaptation values
4. Drive off, no launches for a few miles or so. 1. Seems to work perfect in VCDS, but on OBD11 it runs and won't stop 2. Seems to work perfect in OBD11, but I cannot get it to run on VCDS 3 & 4 work on both VCDS & OBD11.
Thanks - I'll probably do that. I was reading your other post last night where you had posted this, but it looked like maybe parts of it only worked in VCDS? I couldn't really tell, but was going to do whatever I could with OBD11.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Thanks - I'll probably do that. I was reading your other post last night where you had posted this, but it looked like maybe parts of it only worked in VCDS? I couldn't really tell, but was going to do whatever I could with OBD11.
For me I did the following:

1. Haldex Service (new fluid & clean filter)
  2. VCDS Pump Prime & Reset Adaptations
  3. Replace the Haldex Pump
  4. Replace the Haldex Controller

My issue, or really the code, stopped appearing when I swapped a newer controller from my 2019 Tiguan which uses the most up to date Haldex Controller (J) version. I've heard some have issues with the controllers software or the controller is itself. I have the UM Haldex Tune so I'm not sure if UM might have an update on their end as well as maybe they are tuning based on the software version that's on my Haldex Controller. (just a guess).

I basically did process of elimination from the easiest/cheapest way.

I did buy a new controller but to be honest...my car drives fine. Only when I launch it did I get this code and I haven't done that in a while. I've been lazy since I have to figure out swapping my Haldex Tune over to the new controller and I was told I had to reach out to UM for that.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I know. I think there are enough people in the community that have shown that those things tend to get really gunked up much sooner than that though, depending on driving style.

VWOA once stated change Haldex every 40,000.

Which I have done four times now...and the oil always looked fine...lightly darker than new...no gunk...

So VW saying every 3 years has the entire VW Engineering Dept behind it.

This based on a street driven car, untuned, driven normally...not launched...

Im not going to wait 3 years...maybe change it at 60,000? Vise 40...

It too have UM tune. Zero Haldex issues at 114,000 miles.

The oil in the Haldex is not its weak point. Its the clutch. Its slips its toast.

VW/Borg Warner should of made a better unit....

:driver:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I still don’t understand why they did away with the real filter, like in the gen2 I have.

Fifth generation

On 16 April 2009 Haldex announced a deal worth approx US$530M to provide Volkswagen with a new AWD system for the company's new modular platform due in 2012.

The GenV AWD coupling, now distributed by BorgWarner TorqTransfer Systems, features a new design aimed at reducing vehicle complexity and simplifying integration into the drivetrain.

A new electro-hydraulic clutch actuator uses a centrifugal overflow valve design aimed at accurately distributing power between the front and rear axles, and eliminating the need for an accumulator, solenoid valve and filter. It also employs an integrated electronic control unit.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Sorry, I didn’t mean it in a literal sense. My mistake.
I was trying to get at, they should have left the filter in the system. It would eliminate the pump screen clogging, burning out the pump. This is the only common problem I’ve heard with the gen5 other than a software update.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.