VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I would share my lesson with the community. I have completed dozens of DIY installations before including ROW springs and an RVC. This was the first major mistake I made. When I realized what I had done I played it safe and had my R flat-towed to the dealer without starting or driving it.

I was installing an HPA Haldex competition controller and decided to change the Haldex fluid at the same time. I looked online but could not find a DIY specific to the Gen. IV system.

Anyway, instead of draining what I thought was the Haldex fluid, I drained the rear diff fluid. Hey, it's cramped down there when the car is on jack stands, so go easy on me. I proceeded to try to fill the already full Hadex reservoir which resulted in a mess all over me and my garage floor. Only then did I realize what I had done. Not having any diff fluid, I cut my losses and had it towed to the dealer to make things right.

I was told by the service writer that it was not an uncommon mistake. Feel free to throw stones at me for being an idiot, but I thought I would share some photos. I used a sharpie to make it clear for me on future fluid changes. (Edit: I'm now confident I have them correctly identified. I'm going on the information provided to me by my VW tech. He pointed to each fill/drain plug when we were standing under my car while it was on his lift.)

Legend: Hf=Haldex fill and Hd=Haldex drain

I didn't change the filter, so I didn't take any pictures of it. I will change it the next time I change the Haldex fluid.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
This happens more often then people would like to admit.

You will find this type of thread in all R forums, MkIV R32, MkV R32 and now the Golf R.

Thanks for documenting everything well so hopefully no one else makes the mistake.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
I didn't change the filter, so I didn't take any pictures of it. I will change it the next time I change the Haldex fluid.
Good catch on the different fill and drain plugs. On a side note...the Gen 4 Haldex system does not have a filter like the Gen 1 system on the MK4 R32s.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
27,589 Posts
this was a huge problem with the mkv's when they first came out dealerships were doing the same and not filling the diff enough and causing all sorts of fun issues

at least you were man enough to realize your mistake instead of trying to fix it without the correct parts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Excellent information, tks for posting...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Props to you for posting your error, for the betterment of the community. It's people like you who make the internet awesome. :beer:

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
The Gen 4 most definitely does have a filter, but you are correct in that it is different from the Gen 2. VW does not acknowledge it as a part yet, but you can find it on the Neuspeed website.

http://www.neuspeed.com/264/0/0/2681/haldex111358-haldex-gen-4-filter-replacement-kit.html
I'm curious where the filter for our unit goes...based on pictures and having been under the car...I'm not sure I've seen the location that the cover on the Neuspeed site matches. I did find that the Borg Warner Gen 4 has a spot for it but I don't believe ours is the same.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
reminds me of a funny story, very similar.
I was changing the oil in my wifes 2000 altima, up on ramps.
I didnt even notice the drain pan was almost full to the brim, and had a reddish tint.

I didnt discover i had drained the ATF until i went to back the car off the ramps, and the engine would just rev, and the car wouldnt move.

I had even added 4 quarts of motor oil to the crankcase already!:eek:

yup. 8 new quarts of ATF (not cheap) and on top of that had to go get more oil, because I just added the new oil into the full, dirty, engine. oops

To this day, I tell myself the ATF needed changing anyway. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts