VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Golf GTI Autobahn | 1993 VW Corrado SLC
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I believe the factory recommended service interval for a fluid/filter change is 4 yrs/40K, but is there a view in the community to switch to more frequent changes, to keep an old Haldex unit alive? Mine's a very low mileage ((40K) Roadster and I did the service last year when I acquired it. I continue to put on miles very slowly…

·
Registered
240 Posts
I believe the factory recommended service interval for a fluid/filter change is 4 yrs/40K, but is there a view in the community to switch to more frequent changes, to keep an old Haldex unit alive? Mines a very low mileage ((40K) Roadster and I did the service last year when I acquired it. I continue to put on miles very slowly…
Unless you plan to track/autocross the car or mod the Haldex, there generally isn't a need to service the coupling more often than every 40k. The Haldex itself is actually a very stout piece of engineering; very rarely do the internals suffer failures related to fluid changes or under regular driving. Most cases of failed clutches are from people locking the Haldex in 50/50 with a physical mod or from track abuse.

The more frequent failure point is the controller (which can't really be saved from failure with more fluid changes; if it happens it happens). The internal seals can leak and cause fluid ingress. Otherwise you should be safe, especially on such a low-mileage car.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
783 Posts
Like brake fluid, the Haldex fluid is anhydrous which is why Audi recommends it be changed on both a time or mileage basis due to water absorption by the fluid.

Reactions: John Y

·
Registered
2018 Golf GTI Autobahn | 1993 VW Corrado SLC
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the replies; a local German car independent mechanic had tried to sell me on the idea that doing it on an annual basis was good preventative maintenance; while I'm sure it wouldn't hurt, that's more effort than I'm inclined to invest annually, especially as little as I drive it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.