VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a good DIY guide with a few pics? I was already reading ABA Scirocco's post on it.... a few pics would clarify as i have never actually had to take a distributor apart.
thanks.
Also when I install the 16v dizzy on the Cam end.... how do i know that I have it on correctly, I mean it can fit 180* in either direction? which way should the rotor be pointing? thanx.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Re: HALL sendor swap from ABA into 16v Dizzy? (NYCMK3Jetta)

I have an ABA distributor for sale. Complete w/ hall effect sensor. New unit, not rebuilt

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Re: HALL sendor swap from ABA into 16v Dizzy? (SI what)

the rotor will point at #1 when your motor is at TDC. as far as swapping them note the position of the 16v drive and where the rotor notch in the shaft is pointed. the drive is slightly offset. remove the spring for the drive. drive out the pin. make a note of where and what kind of washers go where. slide out the shaft unscrew HALL sender and screw in new one. i just hack the end off 1.8l 8v dizzys instead of butchering ABA ones. you may need to swap the plastic plug that always seems to break they are a couple different kinds. good luck

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: HALL sendor swap from ABA into 16v Dizzy? (bengone1)

I have heard that the pins are a PITA to remove. do they sell replacement pins in case i butcher my pins?
Also I need the ABA Hall Sendor installed on the 16v dizzy cause I am finishing my ABA16vT motor

Thanks guys... all tips are welcome!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

the hall sensors are all compatible. the pins never gave me a problem but i live for wiring soo...unless you know something i don't about the ABA hall sensors. it has four windows just like every other 4 cyl dub since...hell i don't know but it is a long time. well have fun and you might as well re-seal the sucka while yo at it leakin az mo-fos<-too much

·
Registered
10,608 Posts

Quote, originally posted by bengone1 »
ABA hall sensors. it has four windows just like every other 4 cyl dub since...hell i don't know but it is a long time.

Actually, the ABA distributor has a one window trigger wheel unlike any other dub since...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Re: HALL sendor swap from ABA into 16v Dizzy? (ABA Scirocco)

get the hell out i was wrong. not the first time. probably won't be the last either. regardless the "sensor" is the same. its the daisy wheel thats different. the sensor still operates the same way. i never had any luck getting the daisy wheels off 8v shafts. as far as the replacement pins go. just get an appopriotly sized punch lay the "teeth" on the edge of a vice. either have a frind hold it or lay the other end on the opposite jaw an pound the ****e out of it.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Sounds cool..... will heating the pin with a propane torch help the removal? I will attempt the disassembly of the ABA dizzy this afternoon

thanks for all your help guys!!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Guys I have both dizzy's apart ABA and 16v. I have taken out the Hall sendors.... do i also need the trigger wheel swapped over? The ABA has one window and the 16v has 4 windows so i assume something is different?
need to figure this out before I put together the two dizzies. Thanx.

·
Registered
10,608 Posts

Which engine control system are you planning to use? If you are going to the one that came with the ABA, use the ABA wheel otherwise use the 16V wheel.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Im using the ABA Motronic ECU.. so Im gonna scribe some lineup marks with a felt pen and swap over that wheel to the 16v Dizzy

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Well I am done with the swapping of the HALL Sendors. I noticed that the ABA sendor is about 120* off from the notch on dizzy shaft where rotor fits. I simply replicated the setup on the 16v one. (hope that works!) everything fits well.
I replaced my ABA dizzy to drive my ABA oil pump. Is there anyway to check to make sure that the oil pump is being turned by the dizzy without taking off the oil pan?
I mean... I lined up the notch in the dizzy shaft best i could to coincide with the oil pump drive ridge that the notch fits onto. I then tapped the dizzy down till it fit nice and snug and could go no further.
My question is .... would the locking plate and nut fit on that dizzy base if the dizzy didnt engage the oilpump? cause mine fit very well.
Im being anal but i just wanna make sure my oil pump works when I fire this up

·
Registered
176 Posts

Does anyone know how sensitive the engine management is to the position of the hall effect window? If it's a couple of degrees off, will it matter?
Also, if the aba distributor is placed in the 8v location (ie driving the oil pump), why not just put the 16v plug wires to the 8v distributor. Wouldn't that save a lot of work?

·
Registered
10,608 Posts
Re: HALL sendor swap from ABA into 16v Dizzy? (crazyjpeters)

It wouldn't work. The problem is you need to use the 16v timing belt and pulleys. The 16v's intermediate shaft pulley is smaller so the shaft doesn't spin at the right speed to drive a distributor, there would be no way to get the ignition timing right.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts

Quote, originally posted by NYCMK3Jetta »
Well I am done with the swapping of the HALL Sendors. I noticed that the ABA sendor is about 120* off from the notch on dizzy shaft where rotor fits. I simply replicated the setup on the 16v one. (hope that works!) everything fits well.
I replaced my ABA dizzy to drive my ABA oil pump. Is there anyway to check to make sure that the oil pump is being turned by the dizzy without taking off the oil pan?
I mean... I lined up the notch in the dizzy shaft best i could to coincide with the oil pump drive ridge that the notch fits onto. I then tapped the dizzy down till it fit nice and snug and could go no further.
My question is .... would the locking plate and nut fit on that dizzy base if the dizzy didnt engage the oilpump? cause mine fit very well.
Im being anal but i just wanna make sure my oil pump works when I fire this up

I did exactly the as this fellow did,but remember the 16V dizzy spins the counter clockwise unlike the 8V that spins clockwise

·
Registered
176 Posts

Can anyone confirm that the IM shaft and the Cam shaft have different sized pulleys on them? I'm almost sure they were the same size last time I changed my timing belt.

·
Registered
10,608 Posts
Re: HALL sendor swap from ABA into 16v Dizzy? (Bad Habit)

I know that for 8V's the cam and IM gears are identical and that this is not the case with the 16V. Provided you could source the right timing belt, would it be possible to put a 16V cam gear onto the IM shaft so that you could then use the 8V distributor and still get the timing right? Good idea, stupid idea? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
176 Posts

Well, it's an idea... I guess we need to get someone to try it and find a drivebelt.
Would it be a large enough difference in diameter to require a different lower cover? From an 8V I guess.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts