VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some goodies for her. her paint has been lookin very rough as of late, very oxidized and dull lookin. I know it will be hard to tell from the b4 pics but I will do my best to illustrate the difference.

Please excuse the adhesive on the sides and hood. pin striping and a dead stone guard were on there, still having a LOT of trouble getting the adhesive off without damaging the already cruddy paint!
I was very impressed by the products I used and the results I got!

note how awful the paint looks! streaky, faded, all from the california sun. prev orig owner moved to CA for over 9 yrs and the sun killed it!
this is b4!

half and half to show some contrast!

a pretty sharp reflection

dull reflection

after.

tough to see a major difference, but its night and day when you actually look at her now.
b4:

after:

some interior shots. got to vacumin all the summer dust and dirt out!

Mmmmmmmm comfy!

Still tryin to figure out a cover for my power sunroof mod. ( thanx for the help Digifantgli!!)

thats all for now I think!

Modified by Quest_the_Chemist at 12:51 AM 9-9-2005

Modified by Quest_the_Chemist at 1:07 AM 9-9-2005

Modified by Quest_the_Chemist at 4:06 AM 9-9-2005

· Registered
15,541 Posts
Re: hand polished and buffed the dub!!!! (Quest_the_Chemist)

looks great!! makes me want to go and do mine!
btw that adhesive should come off easily with some rubbing alcohol and a rag, it's not harmful http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: hand polished and buffed the dub!!!! (Thatguy03)

Quote, originally posted by Thatguy03 »
looks great!! makes me want to go and do mine!
btw that adhesive should come off easily with some rubbing alcohol and a rag, it's not harmful http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

rubbing alcohol eh? I will give it a shot. i tried "goo gone automotive spray gel, and it did NOTHING!!!
NEVER BUY IT! lol!

· Registered
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (moparVWfreak)

wuts a deadblow?
forgive my ignorance please.

· Registered
48,474 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Quest_the_Chemist »
rubbing alcohol eh? I will give it a shot. i tried "goo gone automotive spray gel, and it did NOTHING!!!
NEVER BUY IT! lol!

3m adhesive remover is paint safe, and basically just kicks ass.
get someone to take off whats left of that nasty pinstripe...unless thats the adhesive youre talking about

· Registered
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (ferchooo)

Quote, originally posted by ValveCoverGasket »

3m adhesive remover is paint safe, and basically just kicks ass.
get someone to take off whats left of that nasty pinstripe...unless thats the adhesive youre talking about

You are right sir. that is exaaactly wut my problem is. it kinda makes me depressed about the way it looks. it catches dust and crap all the tine. same with the stone guard on the front.
Quote, originally posted by ferchooo »
SAME

LOL! Basically guys I washed the car first, made sure i had lots of CLEAN rags, like ripped cotton tshirts worked well, but I also have softer diaper cloth to use as well. i used both nufinish and the turtle wax coumpound, follow the directions for the turtle wax compund carefully.

I used the turtle wax first, then let it sit for a bit after gently rinsing it and chamois-ing it (chamois are so fuggen awesome!!!!) then I applied the nufinish once the car was dry and clean again.
the nufinish actually goes a long way. I bought two bottles, but I managed to do the wholecar and still have 1/4 bottle left.

for the trim and bumpers and anything else black, (did the wheels too!!), I used the simoniz tire care foam pictured. My friend Peter put me up on it for the trim and bumpers, and it works very well.
tomorrow I will apply the back to black, which should help the trim even more, but it looks pretty good as it is.
a lot of work. 4 1/2 hours to do it all by hand cuz I don't have a buffer/polisher. it was worth it though.

Modified by Quest_the_Chemist at 3:31 AM 9-9-2005

· Registered
8,569 Posts
Re: (Quest_the_Chemist)

What Simon used works really well, but I have used another product with awesome reasults...
Meguiars has a three step program that is somewhat expensive but produces absoloutely stunning results.
Step 1 is a Paint cleaner that removes staining and contaminents from the paint. Tornado Red and Alpine White benefit from this as they are the most susceptiple to staining.
Step 2 Is a a polish that removes fine scratches and swirls without damaging the paint.
Step 3 is a wax.
When you have finished, you are left with incredible smooth, soft paint with a deep, glossy wet look.
I did both my New Beetle and Jetta Flair on the weekend and despite taking a while to do both cars, it was well worth the effort.
Pictures to follow.....

· Registered
490 Posts
if u have a friend that has any skill with a rotary buffer get him to help u because it will come out amazing,
meguiars fine cut compound, only use pro grade
meguiars machine polish compund.
meguiars 26 yellow wax

· Registered
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (Philbert411)

yeah thats pretty damn bad. mine certainly wasn that far gone. I will try to find someone with access to a polisher/buffer to really shine her up. but for a 7.99 investment, I'm quite pleased with the return, and I'd recommend it for use. turtle wax rubbing compound and nufinish are great! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: hand polished and buffed the dub!!!! (umeng2002)

Quote, originally posted by umeng2002 »
I did the same thing to my car last weakend - wash clay bar wash polish wax - with the same results http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

wut's a clay bar?
Peter, I'm waitin on those pics. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by Quest_the_Chemist at 5:59 AM 9-9-2005

· Registered
8,868 Posts
Re: (Quest_the_Chemist)

These are the products I used. I would also use a good sealer and wax after all this. And get a professional buffer and practice, but I would only use it with the fine cut cleaner, not the red compound. It's not fun to use your arms to polish out the entire car like this.

· Registered
5,969 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Quest_the_Chemist »
Still tryin to figure out a cover for my power sunroof mod. ( thanx for the help Digifantgli!!)

I modified the original cover to work with mine. Ran two long screws down from the sunroof track and had them tap into the oe cover. Made a small tab to slip under the headliner, and trimmed the edge of it with another ineterior sunroof felt thingy. All in all the job took a better part of an hour trying to figure out how and lay nice material over it. Looked great and was one of a kind
Just tear into it and you'll see. Car looks great btw.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.