VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of us so inclined
a poll in which you can take your pick between three hand-crafted luxury machines:
Bentley Arnage (R version shown):

Toyota Century:

Bristol Blenheim 3 (3S version shown):

And the pros and cons:
BENTLEY ARNAGE
For: brute power, opulence, handbuilt, gets noticed easily

Against: well... if we'd be really nit-picking, the price means it's not for everyone

TOYOTA CENTURY
For: opulence, handbuilt, V12 power, discreet styling, bargain price for what it is
Against: brand snobs mightn't like the fact that it's merely sold as a Toyota (JDM)
Bristol Blenheim 3
For: exclusivity, Mopar V8 power, splendid proportions, personal service
Against: an acquired taste
Vote away!

Modified by David Votoupal at 1:12 PM 5-23-2004

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Re: Handcrafted luxury poll- Bentley Arnage vs Toyota Century vs Bristol Blenheim 3 (David Votoupal)

The Century and Blenheim, while nicely appointed and powerful, are a little too dated inside and out for my tastes. So I have to go with the Bentley. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Although saving some $$$ and exclusivity for a Maserati Quattroporte instead sounds like a good plan too...

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Re: Handcrafted luxury poll- Bentley Arnage vs Toyota Century vs Bristol Blenheim 3 (SpeedRicer)

whats the name of the car that has the rocco type headlights and the tiny grill...i am too lazy to go down the street and ask the name of his car
yea well i will take one of those

·
Registered
2006 Lexus GS300, 2011 Nissan Leaf
36,950 Posts
Re: Handcrafted luxury poll- Bentley Arnage vs Toyota Century vs Bristol Blenheim 3 (my 2.0 rocket)

Quote, originally posted by my 2.0 rocket »
whats the name of the car that has the rocco type headlights and the tiny grill...i am too lazy to go down the street and ask the name of his car
yea well i will take one of those

Are you thinking of the Aston Martin Lagonda?

Haven't made those since you were a toddler!
Cool looking 80's nutz, though.
Man, I like all of those cars but in the end I'd just have to go with the Bentley.
<looks at paycheck>
Yup, just another 30 years to go!

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
Re: Handcrafted luxury poll- Bentley Arnage vs Toyota Century vs Bristol Blenheim 3 (David Votoupal)

What kind of friggin' poll is this?

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Handcrafted luxury poll- Bentley Arnage vs Toyota Century vs Bristol Blenheim 3 (Lumbergh)

Quote, originally posted by Lumbergh »

A bling bling poll!

·
Registered
8,141 Posts

The Century does not look opulent at all. Especially compared to the Bentley.

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Re: Handcrafted luxury poll- Bentley Arnage vs Toyota Century vs Bristol Blenheim 3 (Lumbergh)

Quote, originally posted by Lumbergh »

A poll between three handcrafted luxury cars -- was that so hard to understand?

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Re: Handcrafted luxury poll- Bentley Arnage vs Toyota Century vs Bristol Blenheim 3 (mAdD INDIAN)

Quote, originally posted by mAdD INDIAN »
The Century does not look opulent at all. Especially compared to the Bentley.

Probably because of the bright wood and cloth seats. Those are actually hallmarks of the Japanese executive class though -- for some reason, Japanese high-end buyers prefer high-quality cloth over leather (the Century has some type of special velour of some sort). And while glossy wood has a cheap connotation here, it is fairly common in luxury cars over there.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts

I'd go for the Japanese Mafia car
old school classy http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I'd take Maybach over all these though.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
Re: Handcrafted luxury poll- Bentley Arnage vs Toyota Century vs Bristol Blenheim 3 (SpeedRicer)

Quote, originally posted by SpeedRicer »

Probably because of the bright wood and cloth seats. Those are actually hallmarks of the Japanese executive class though -- for some reason, Japanese high-end buyers prefer high-quality cloth over leather (the Century has some type of special velour of some sort). And while glossy wood has a cheap connotation here, it is fairly common in luxury cars over there.

I didn't mean that. I knew about hte velour. I just meant the general look and design, the lack of cool gadgets, etc.. The Century looks about as opulent as regular entry-level luxury cars. Hell the new Acura TL looks more luxurious (even though it lacks a sexy V12..but VTEC makes up for that y0!)

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Handcrafted luxury poll- Bentley Arnage vs Toyota Century vs Bristol Blenheim 3 (mAdD INDIAN)

An opulent mass-produced car? lol
Gadgets aren't the main focus of old-school luxury cars like the Blenheim 3 and Century. Sure, they're lavish and have all the luxury goodies but rather than over-emphasise fancy technology as so many new luxury cars unfortunately do. The emphasis, as was the case for decades, was in being discreet outside and cosseting inside. Gadgetry isn't the end all of motoring you know.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts

Quote, originally posted by David Votoupal »
An opulent mass-produced car? lol
Gadgets aren't the main focus of old-school luxury cars like the Blenheim 3 and Century. Sure, they're lavish and have all the luxury goodies but rather than over-emphasise fancy technology as so many new luxury cars unfortunately do. The emphasis, as was the case for decades, was in being discreet outside and cosseting inside. Gadgetry isn't the end all of motoring you know.

I agree with that. But based on the interior picture of the Century that is displayed in this thread, the car does not look opulent at all. The Bentley does, and the Bristol does to some extent as well, but the Century just looks bland. Nothing rich about it.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Re: Handcrafted luxury poll- Bentley Arnage vs Toyota Century vs Bristol Blenheim 3 (Patrick Arena)

Quote, originally posted by Patrick Arena »

Are you thinking of the Aston Martin Lagonda?

Haven't made those since you were a toddler!
Cool looking 80's nutz, though.
Man, I like all of those cars but in the end I'd just have to go with the Bentley.
<looks at paycheck>
Yup, just another 30 years to go!

thats it..yea he has a mint example. jet black. mmm so tasty..he said i could dive it one day.. along with one another of his toys...

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Re: Handcrafted luxury poll- Bentley Arnage vs Toyota Century vs Bristol Blenheim 3 (blown54)

It's funny I'd never heard of the Century until someone mentioned it in a response to phaeton post recently. I think Bill Murry was riding in one in Lost in Translation--I had no clue what it was at the time. I s that the most recent model?

·
Registered
22,319 Posts

I'd have to say the Bentley for myself. Nothing beats the combination of supercar performance and superposh luxury! The design in itself is also pretty timeless and already a classic (at least in my eyes).

·
Registered
12,111 Posts

Quote, originally posted by mAdD INDIAN »
I didn't mean that. I knew about hte velour. I just meant the general look and design, the lack of cool gadgets, etc.. The Century looks about as opulent as regular entry-level luxury cars. Hell the new Acura TL looks more luxurious (even though it lacks a sexy V12..but VTEC makes up for that y0!)

Yeah, but remember that these three cars are hardly the driving force in gadgetry. Even the most advanced, the Bentley, pales in comparison to the sort of electronic gizmos that something like the LS430/S-Class/Phaeton/etc. have. It wasn't even until a few years ago that the Arnage had a navi and park assistance option, and both of those were only because of BMW's control at the time (IIRC).

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Re: Handcrafted luxury poll- Bentley Arnage vs Toyota Century vs Bristol Blenheim 3 (Now i-VTEC)

Quote, originally posted by Now i-VTEC »
It's funny I'd never heard of the Century until someone mentioned it in a response to phaeton post recently. I think Bill Murry was riding in one in Lost in Translation--I had no clue what it was at the time. I s that the most recent model?

Though it may not look that way, the Century was actually redesigned after a long model run in 1997. That's when the 5.0L V12 was added to replace IIRC, the old pushrod V8.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts