VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever replaced their hard brake lines? My fittings are all corroded and stripped and I need to replace all of the lines. Are the flarings on the VW lines the same standard double flared style used on most American cars or do they use something different? Where can I can I pick up the brake line stock, ends, flaring tool and bending tool cheap?
Anyone have any tips or stuff to avoid?
Thanks. - -MW

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Re: Hard Brake Line Replacement (wintrode)

I was faced with this predicament, and having bought some lines from the dealer (you still have to bend them, but at least they are the right length, and have the metric fittings), I did some bending. It takes a while to get master it, then I discovered it was a whole lot easier and cheaper just to get them off a Junked vehicle.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Hard Brake Line Replacement (yellow68)

The brake job went pretty well. The fittings on the front two hard lines were stripped, so I pulled out the lines, cut off the stripped fittings, put on some new/used fittings that I had, and flared them with the bubble flaring tool.
The flaring tool is straight forward to use, just make sure that you clamp down on the part that secures the tube in the jig, or else you'll have problems with the pipe slipping out. Other than that it is pretty straight forward to use, although I would recommend you have a vice, or some way to secure the jig. Here's the kit that I got from JCWhitney.
(Catalog Part# 13zx5704x, $54.99)

The rest of the brakes went well also.
The entire brake and suspension job took approximately 36 hours to complete with two people working at a somewhat leisurely pace. Here's all that I did for it:
Front Brakes - Replaced the front carriers, calipers, wheel bearings, hubs, discs and pads. Removed the stripped hard line fittings and flared new ones in their place, and fitted Autotech stainless brake lines to the calipers.
Front Suspension - Removed the top part of the existing strut tower (yeah sawzall and angle grinder!!) to make it flat across the top. Fitted Eurosport camber plates and spacers with H&R coilovers (from Virtual World - only $1095). No bushings now in the front suspension, all hard mounts
Rear Brakes - Replaced rear calipers, bearings, rotors/hubs and pads. Fitted stainless steel lines.
Rear Suspension - Removed the rubber suspension bushings and replaced with poly bushings from Eurosport, and H&R coilovers.
Emergency Brake Cables - Replaced both cables relatively easily after I figured out that you didn't want to pull out the brass tube that goes through the floor
General Brake System - Replaced the vacuum booster (or brake servo) and master cylinder. Notes - If you have the ratcheting closed end wrenches, they are SOOOO useful in removing the vacuum booster, I didn't but they are definitely on the Christmas list now!
All in all it was slightly difficult due to the corrosion on the brake lines and fittings, but it was very rewarding and has totally changed the personality of the car. Now I just have to get it aligned (waaaay too much toe at this point), and it is going to be a blast. - -MW

·
Registered
10,813 Posts

wintrode...what color is ur 2.5 RS? my friend has a black one
very cool cars http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Hard Brake Line Replacement (IwannaGTI)

Rally Blue.
What a great car, when the VW gets done (Like that will ever happen), it's turbo time for the Sube. - -MW

·
Registered
365 Posts

You are my hero.
ps - it was at least a 6
job, and would have been more if bambi hadn't have taken me out on the way to the beer distibutor.
- D

·
Registered
20,571 Posts

Heres what I did. I went to my local Autozone and picked up a set of metric brake line unions. These are inverted flare #< so, I used a tool similar to the pic above and made my extensions using new tubing with flare nuts to match. The ends that met the union had to be inverted flares, but where they met stock VW brake parts they are bubble flare.
I did this for my VR6 ABS M/C swap. For my rear disc swap many many years ago, I just cut the stock brake drum hard line to length, added a bubble flare and the disc hardware.
You can rent the tools needed to do the brake lines from Autozone or similar parts stores. I own them, since I use the tools frequently.
You can get the flare nuts from many sources, infact if you buy a flare nut wrench, you can take them from the scrappers. All you need is a tube cutter or pliers w/ cutter. "pocket items"

Just a note:
VW has many sources for brake calipers, you will discover as I did on my own vehicle, that there are at least 2 sizes of bleeders, a 10mm and an 8mm.
I also ran into a situation that the wrench required to loosen the bleeders had different sizes, one was a 7mm, 8mm, 9mm and 10mm (weird huh?). I guedd the previous owner had the front calipers changed sometime ago, while I bought a used rear disc set-up and it's PO had those calipers serviced.
Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts