VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had to make a hard stop (60-0) on my morning drive, and my brake pedal travel went beyond what I usually am used to.
It felt like it 'broke past' some kind of barrier because I pressed it so hard. Afterwards, I did not feel anything noticeably different with the brakes.

Is this something worthy of concern or is this just normal behavior? With most other cars I've driven, the pedal travel is pretty similar between regular and hard braking, it just feels a lot stiffer if I brake hard.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Make sure you don't have air in the lines.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'd say what your feeling is normal, while you were braking did you hit any bumps or while turning?

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Sounds like the ABS kicked in.

I'd recommend finding a safe stretch of road to test out a hard stop, make sure you get the ABS engaged so you understand how it feels and will be more comfortable with it if you get into it again in the future (and to verify that this is indeed what you felt)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like the ABS kicked in.

I'd recommend finding a safe stretch of road to test out a hard stop, make sure you get the ABS engaged so you understand how it feels and will be more comfortable with it if you get into it again in the future (and to verify that this is indeed what you felt)
I remember where on the highway it was, and I think I was going straight, or at least meant to go straight.
I'll give your advice a go, do some 60-0 stops somewhere safe.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I remember where on the highway it was, and I think I was going straight, or at least meant to go straight.
I'll give your advice a go, do some 60-0 stops somewhere safe.
Yeah, really stand on it and get to understand it like he said above. When I used to sell BMWs that would be part of our test drive to demonstrate capability(us driving, not the client) as long as they were comfortable with it. BTW, if you let up just before you come to a full stop then it won't be jarring. It's the immediate reaction from speed and how the car behaves as its decelerating that you're trying to experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts