VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I generally take it easy on my car because it's getting up there in mileage (92,xxx), but last week I gassed it out of second and was then unable to engage third until the car slowed to roughly 25~30mph. From then on, all the gears have been very difficult to select unless I'm shifting at or near speeds that correspond with the gear I'm going to (i.e. 0-10mph for first, 20-25mph for second, 25-30mph for third, etc.). By "difficult" I mean that if I'm not at the proper speed, I have to slam it into gear.

- No grinding, as far as I can tell
- Clutch feels normal and engages where it always has; no slipping
- No whining other than a slight hum in 4th that's always been there
- I can freely select all gears at a standstill while the motor is running

Guessing this isn't a symptom of worn synchros because every gear is affected. Also guessing it's not a clutch issue, since the clutch is acting normal. So what else could it be? Since I'm way out of warranty, I'd rather develop an understanding of possible issues before taking it to a mechanic.

TIA!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Same thing happens to me sometimes when shifting into third and driving very spiritedly. It just locks me out. The night it was the worst was coming back from a car show and messing with a friend. I was doing multiple full throttle pulls and from there I got locked out several times. It is fine when you are not full throttle or shifting at max rpm like I did. This is only if I do like 5 or more pulls then 3rd gets hard and locks out most of the time. But when I am doing max acceleration runs I go crazy with the shifter lol. My car has only 11,000

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So definitely a similar issue. What causes it, though? I'd rather be able to select gears easily throughout the powerband rather than constantly fight the car and watch my speed. :banghead:

·
Registered
775 Posts
There's a video on youtube that tells you how to adjust your shifter. Try that. Im on my phone so I can't tube you the link

·
Registered
695 Posts
crumby shift linkage, worn motor mounts, slipping clutch... all to a degree combined make a mess of things.

get one of these, if nothing else check out the install instructions on their website to learn how to adjust your shift linkage.

FYI, your clutch prob going out. You should put it in third gear and see if you can get the car rolling from a stop w/out using the gas. If you absolutely can't then its gone.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I'm thinking its clutch... A clutch should really only last 80k before she starts slipping... My car at 80k is starting to slip, but then again its after I got the turbo on...however I know it was weak before that! Overall the worse it gets the harder selecting gears will get. Can you get it to slip in 4th going about 45 stomp on it and see if she jumps.

Have you tried bleeding your clutch and brakes lately? This could be affecting engagement too

·
Registered
775 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.