VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would make my shifter really notchy when it is cold but shift like a hot knife through butter 15 minutes later when eveyting is up to temperature?
Cold I have to shift 1st N 2nd. Hot I can power shift.
Cold it feels like it is binding. Bushings? Shift lever bearings? Any ideas?

· Registered
398 Posts
Re: Hard to shift when cold. (Banned wagon)

Quote, originally posted by Banned wagon »
gear oil?? check to see if you have any in the trans would be a good start

You are correct, sir. Or just change it, it is a million miles old and a thousand years.
I go against convention, believe along with JP. 75-80 or is it 80-90?) from the local parts store, some like to spend the $$$$ and go Redline brand and feel cool about it.

· Registered
1,093 Posts
Re: Hard to shift when cold. (Banned wagon)

definatelly gear oil in your tranny. Its too heavy. I had a same problem with my stuff at -40. Change your gear oil to 75w90 either from redline, or Amsoil, Guaranteed it will be better. (you need 2 quarts/liters for your tranny)
Marko

· Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Hard to shift when cold. (thegreatandpowerful)

Quote, originally posted by thegreatandpowerful »

You are correct, sir. Or just change it, it is a million miles old and a thousand years.
I go against convention, believe along with JP. 75-80 or is it 80-90?) from the local parts store, some like to spend the $$$$ and go Redline brand and feel cool about it.

Ah, but it is only 4 days old. Redline washed away the seals in my PSA. (It did shift beautifully for a week though.) I don't really want to revisit that.
But 80W90 does seem to be a bit thick.
On the recommendation of a local tranny shop I've gone with GM Syncromesh Gear Oil.
So far the transmission is much less grumpy when cold and it is not leaking.
I don't know what I'd have to use if I was somewhere it actually got COLD.
Thanks guys.

· Registered
192 Posts
Re: Hard to shift when cold. (voxwagen88)

i'd have to cite gear oil as the number one reason....not that its low its prolly just too thick for the conditions. If it was low it tends to grind and just be noisy.
Unlike anybody else tho I stick with conventional, a friend of mine who has a jetta used synthetic and is now in the process of a tranny swap. It leaked out like **** through a goose.
Also if you ever find it difficult to shift into reverse, check for a lost lighter down there. True story

· Registered
5,457 Posts
Re: Hard to shift when cold. (ss_midnight)

It is gearoil viscosity that is causing your problem. I run castrol syntec 75w90 synthetic gear oil in my trannys....this stuff is excellent, as is amsoil or redline....80w90 is ok, but still tought when its new in the winter, 75w90 is nice widespread and still offerers great protection...

· Registered
975 Posts
Re: Hard to shift when cold. (dacolino)

I use Redline in my 2-P so I can feel cool about it.
Shifts like it's already warmed up even on sub zero days.
If your trans weeps from the oil change just put new seals in because it was due for them anyways. It's easy as dropping the trans. Might as well replace the clutch, throw-out bearing, rear main seal, and the pilot bearing while you're down there.Then you're good to go for another 200,000...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.