VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this one has been discussed to death, but my Jetta VR6 starts so damn hard. I know they start crappy, but this one's real bad. Even worse if it has been running then starts to cool down.
I'm thinking that it might be leak down in the injectors or something.
Anyone dealt with this. any ideas?

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Re: Hard to start VR6 when hot. (goatmk1)

unlock car
sit in car
put key in ignition
depress clutch
crank
release clutch
Car is now started.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Why did you waste you time writing something as funny as that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Hard to start VR6 when hot. (purple-pill)

You may have it MR Pill. Where is that located? I'm pretty sure it's not a ignition failure. I've gone through most of that stuff...IE coil pack, plugs, wires....

·
Registered
2,997 Posts

sounds like a similar issue that i have. seems to lack fuel on first try cranking then on second try will start up no prob. my guess is no pressure then after cranking the pressure is back up and it starts right?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Re: Hard to start VR6 when hot. (greeeen94SLC)

Quote, originally posted by greeeen94SLC »
sounds like a similar issue that i have. seems to lack fuel on first try cranking then on second try will start up no prob. my guess is no pressure then after cranking the pressure is back up and it starts right?

Holy crap, I got that exact same problem! I thought it was just my battery but this thread sheds a whole new light on the situation. I'm gonna see if what Pill said was right . . .

·
Registered
1,756 Posts

my situation is similar.......
when the car is hot, let it sit for like 5-20 minutes, go back out to start it and it cranks forever. I replaced the check valve on the outgoing fuel line on the fuel pump, then added one to the incoming line...this helped alot, however the problem still exsits. I also replaced my fuel pressure regulator and redid all the vaccum lines that lead to it....also some improvement was noticed. I just added some foil insulating tape to the fuel lines that run right next to the cylinder head. My theory is that the fuel that sits in the lines just vaporized while the car sits.

·
Registered
84 Posts

This thread may be dead already, but you might try pulling out the fuel relay momentarily when having the hot-start problem, or having someone crank the car while you CAREFULLY pinch off the supply line under the hood - then, if it starts, re-insert the relay quickly or release the line so it keeps running.
I ended up testing with a guage and don't remember the logic but it involved pinching off the lines before shutdown and noting the results. Using this I was able to determine my problem was vapor lock due to failed check-valve, but it also eliminated worries about injectors and regulator.
Is there something in the FAQ about this? Should be if not.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Re: Hard to start VR6 when hot. (Fivelugdub)

Its the fuel pump loosing its prime, common point of failaure on all intank designs.
Its not a serviceable part, you have to replace the fuel pump module.
Instead of cranking it to death, cycle the ignition a few times before cranking, this should build enough static pressure to get the car running until you can replace the otherwise good fuel pump.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Re: Hard to start VR6 when hot. (vr6golf.com)

Dug this one up, exact same problem I'm having.
Only way to start is to pinch the fuel line 'in' with grips, then the car starts and you release the preasure... then badly over fueled and an irratic idle... any help please!!!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Re: (Euro_Parts)

If I remember me right, since 1994 the VR6 has a fuel pump after run module, that keeps the fuel circulating (just like the auxiliary coolant pump) until the engine temp cools down a bit, avoiding fuel evaporating. Could be the problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts