VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the project. I want to hard wire a USB port into the area accessible through the back seat ashtray that is under the arm rest. The idea is that it will allow me to swap out my phone cradle in a few minutes when I switch phones while also allowing me to hide most of the cables without permanently modifying my interior by running them up under the plastic in the center console. If anyone has a wiring diagram they can share for lighter plugs in the arm rest it would be much appreciated. I'm also thinking about splicing into the 3.5mm audio jack as well.

[/url]

·
Banned
376 Posts
Hi
Bcoz i dont know the wiring of yo car i would suggest that u take a picture of wiring of yo car the i certainly will take you thru on how to finish yo project.
As for the USB side i only see two wires red n black
Red +
Black -
Take picture n i will tell u where to connect what.
Cheers

VW Bora V5, AGZ, 99, 5speed Manual Tranny.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Krazyboi, many thanks for the diagram.

OK, so part of the goal of this project is not having to take apart the center console. I unplugged the 12 that I thought was going to 12v lighter sockets and they still have power so they must terminate before they get to the cubby behind the backseat ashtray and lock button. After testing to make sure everything was working with the 12pin unplugged back there, I'm have to assume it's for the OEM phone cradle in the armrest. The antenna for the cradle terminates right next to it and the other side of the 12 pin runs up into the armrest.

This is great. I'm not going to have to splice anything. I can just leave it unplugged and get a second 12pin and run my leads from there but I'm also thinking why not run a USB socket into the armrest. People that want to charge their phone in my car, it would be a good place to leave my phone for charging if I decide to leave it behind and it would be a good place to charge camera batteries, etc. and have everything hidden out of eyesight.

At Krazyboi's request I'll take pictures and do a write up since this should be an easy way to add USB ports without a bunch of visible cables.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.