VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here are some images (click on the pic below) of hardwiring r.d. this is just an addition to what has been posted.
one thing that i wanted to point out, is the place where the wire passes (pic3) between the mirrow plastic piece and the headliner. you can easiliy squeeze the wire in there without taking anything apart.
ps. thanks ryana3 for assistance.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
696 Posts
Re: hardwiring radar detector (Tarik D)

I thought in CA you can get ticketed for anything on the windshield. Is that one of those things a cop doesn't have time to pull you over for but will ticket you if they get you for something else?
We're driving over next week. I wasn't sure if that might be a problem once I cross the state line.

Modified by dan-phx at 8:28 PM 6-19-2006

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Re: (snowboardegn)

I have owned my V1 for years - it was in a WRX, on a Ducati, a BMW 330i and now my A3. I drive like certified maniac 75% of the time (the other 25% when my wife is in the car I drive like grandma). I have never received a ticket. Yes, they save, especially the good ones http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Re: hardwiring radar detector (dan-phx)

Quote, originally posted by dan-phx »
I thought in CA you can get ticketed for anything on the windshield. Is that one of those things a cop doesn't have time to pull you over for but will ticket you if they get you for something else?
We're driving over next week. I wasn't sure if that might be a problem once I cross the state line.

Modified by dan-phx at 8:28 PM 6-19-2006

i need to know too lol http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Re: hardwiring radar detector (a4b630)

One trick I do is to use a black double female telephone connector.
I use 3M "clear" window double stick tape.
Its like the exterior foam stuff but with a clear "gel" like substance.
I glue the connector to the TOP edge of the window along the trim strip. The the wire is conencted the connector and then goes into the trim.
The reason I do this - when I remove the detector - there is NO wire hanging down that needs to be "tucked" away. You take the wire stub with you.
Its VERY stealth when the car is street parked etc.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Re: (chunk_cali)

Radar detector saved me three times when paying attention to it
and didnt save me one time when I wasnt paying attention to it and it was on mute

It died and I never replaced it a few years ago. I think I will now, using the suggestions posted.
Also, found this at a FAQ link that didnt work, so it was cached:
Detectors are legal in all states except Virginia and the District of Columbia. They're legal in the following Canadian provinces as well: Alberta, British Columbia, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Saskatchewan. On US military bases, they are legal to have but illegal to use.
Most of us who have radar detectors don't know how to use them properly and end up getting caught - exactly the opposite of what you wanted, especially since you have a detector.
Some tips on using a detector:
1. Always remember this: Cops will not give owners of detectors a warning - you will get a speeding ticket. So, all of your actions with a detector must be centered on this fact.
2. Mount it high up on the windshield. The higher it is, the more able it is to sniff out signals.
3. Learn it's sounds. Most detectors have different noises for different threats. These types are preferred; you don't need to take your eyes off of the road to find out if it's X-band "noise" from automatic door openers, or K-band police radar.
4. Always use it. It makes no sense to use it "only on long trips" or "only on vacations" or whatever. Are those the only times you are a candidate for a ticket? Not likely!
5. For instant-on radar: Unless you're going well over the speed limit, never stand on the brakes when the detector goes off! Just act as if nothing happened and your chances of escaping unscathed increase considerably. Your brake lights or front-end dive are an instant admission of guilt and it lets the officer doing the speed trap know that you have a detector. After all, why did you stop so quickly when there was no obvious reason to do so? (See #1)
6. For nighttime operation, sometimes it's necessary to cover all of the detector's LEDs and rely only on the audio alarm. Some have a "dark" switch that does that for you, these are preferred. These LEDs are not real bright even at night, but even the single "power on" LED is very easy to see from a distance at night in a dark car. This is a tip-off to the police cruiser that may be trailing you. (See #1)
Note to cops: For those of us that obey rule #4, we know when you're watching. Say you spray our car with radar when we're going 10 over the limit. If you don't stop us, you have made that speed limit invalid because we know you know our speed and you didn't bother to do anything about it.
Edit:
Quote, originally posted by ewongkaizen »
One trick I do is to use a black double female telephone connector.
The reason I do this - when I remove the detector - there is NO wire hanging down that needs to be "tucked" away. You take the wire stub with you.

What? Do you have pics or can you explain a little more? Thanks

Modified by DAVID1.8T at 4:57 PM 6-20-2006

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Re: (DAVID1.8T)

Quote, originally posted by DAVID1.8T »

What? Do you have pics or can you explain a little more? Thanks

A female double phone jack.
It allows you to leave just a recptical on the car and take the wire out.
This is on the beater VW.
THe headliner is al busted up so I stuck the connector on the metal instead of the glass (the window was cracked and was getting replaced - this way I didnt have to worry about the wire)

The install on the Acura is nicer but I just dropped that off at the shop for a timing belt etc... (no time to DIY)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.